Cruise Critic Community

Does anyone have a travel-sized CPAP machine that they love? My husband's current machine isn't enormous (It's a resMED and about the size of a loaf of bread) but it's unwieldily and doesn't have a battery that we can travel with outside of car trips because of the size. We travel often enough that it's started to be a real drag and we're considering investing in one of those smaller-profile CPAP machines at the end of the year when it's time to spend down the FSA. Anyone have experience with them -- are they worth bothering with for the price?

I don't have one. My provider in my most recent supply order asked if I was interested in information. I just can't justify, but I think I'm due for a new machine anyways. Going to discuss with my doctor next I see them.

15 hours ago, SimplyMarvie said:

Does anyone have a travel-sized CPAP machine that they love? My husband's current machine isn't enormous (It's a resMED and about the size of a loaf of bread) but it's unwieldily and doesn't have a battery that we can travel with outside of car trips because of the size. We travel often enough that it's started to be a real drag and we're considering investing in one of those smaller-profile CPAP machines at the end of the year when it's time to spend down the FSA. Anyone have experience with them -- are they worth bothering with for the price?

We priced batteries both for our current machines and the smaller travel, they both seem to add $500 and we decided we don’t do enough traveling where we don’t have power to worry about not having electricity.  We used to do wilderness trips but not often enough to justify the cost even when there would have been only one battery needed.  And since we were in canoes there was the extra problem with water. 

Our new dreamstations are fairly light and can be separated if you don’t want the humidifier.   I’ve had mine for about 1 1/2 years now and it’s been on mostly Southwest and British Airlines with no problems.  I made a carrying case that fits them both and a spare scooter battery, it meets the minimal carryon dimensions of the interior British Airlines planes.   The DreamStations have their own carrying case so we have a light version of double padding. 

On long flights now many airlines have power at even economy seats.  We’ve not used the CPAPs then but I’ve seen posts about that being possible.  I’m amazed on how many people boarding cruises are carrying CPAPs!  

Sorry i’m no help with owning the smaller CPAP.   My husband says they aren’t that heavy but we did have to figure out how to carry two.  Previously he put his in a small carry on that would fit under a seat and then added some other carryon stuff to fill the bag.   Now because most airlines allow medical equipment as a non counted bag, but some require that it be just medical equipment so we are in a great position with the one bag! 

Hth

Has anyone used one of the real little ones that just go in the nostrils, some are even rechargeable.

On 7/20/2019 at 8:28 AM, GUT2407 said:

Has anyone used one of the real little ones that just go in the nostrils, some are even rechargeable.

I thought these were still in development... am I wrong? 

I'm hoping I can get a Dreamstation to replace my existing System One. I'm so glad these machines are getting smaller/quieter.