Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
dawnelda

Might miss embarkation in Barcelona

Recommended Posts

The other thread on a possible missed embarkation has inspired me to ask for your thoughts as well please.

 

Hubby and I are flying from Toronto to Barcelona in September on Westjet, landing at noon in Barcelona. All-aboard for the Brilliance is 3 pm. The first port of call (the next day) is Palma de Mallorca.

 

I recognize that it's somewhat risky but I figure that if we miss the ship in Barcelona, we could catch it in Palma the next day without too much trouble or expense (maybe? I think there are flights from BCN to PMI almost every hour).

 

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If I wouldn't book a domestic flight the same day for a cruise, I would never book a transatlantic flight to board the same day I arrive. 

 

Wouldn't be much easier to book a flight a day earlier instead of risking to lose one or more cruise days?

Edited by carlosalonsor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes...for flying to another country on sail date...that would be cutting way too close for me.  😮  There are so many problems that could come up with delaying your flight arrival time.  

 

I think most of us would fly in the day before, which also helps with jet lag.  Hope you make it to the ship.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, dawnelda said:

The other thread on a possible missed embarkation has inspired me to ask for your thoughts as well please.

 

Hubby and I are flying from Toronto to Barcelona in September on Westjet, landing at noon in Barcelona. All-aboard for the Brilliance is 3 pm. The first port of call (the next day) is Palma de Mallorca.

 

I recognize that it's somewhat risky but I figure that if we miss the ship in Barcelona, we could catch it in Palma the next day without too much trouble or expense (maybe? I think there are flights from BCN to PMI almost every hour).

 

Thoughts?

Very risky.

RC might put you down as a no show and allocate your cabin to someone else.

Barcelona is a lovely city and well worth getting there a couple of days early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dawnelda said:

The other thread on a possible missed embarkation has inspired me to ask for your thoughts as well please.

 

Hubby and I are flying from Toronto to Barcelona in September on Westjet, landing at noon in Barcelona. All-aboard for the Brilliance is 3 pm. The first port of call (the next day) is Palma de Mallorca.

 

I recognize that it's somewhat risky but I figure that if we miss the ship in Barcelona, we could catch it in Palma the next day without too much trouble or expense (maybe? I think there are flights from BCN to PMI almost every hour).

 

Thoughts?

I flew into Barcelona last week and arrived at about 4pm (way past the time that any cruise passengers might arrive).  point is.... it was not that busy at customs and it still took me almost an hour from the time I stepped off the plane by the time I cleared customs. (and that was with carry on baggage).    The cruise ship port appeared to be about 20 minutes or so from the airport (I drove by it).  

 

When you booked your flight, you must have consciously made a decision to roll the dice.  But if you are rethinking it now, my best advice would be to arrive the day before.

or at the very least a flight that has you arriving at 8 am day of departure (which I still would not do)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, carlosalonsor said:

If I wouldn't book a domestic flight the same day for a cruise, I would never book a transatlantic flight to board the same day I arrive. 

Totally reckless to do this international....they are about 80% sure to miss the ship - immigration alone might take 2 hours or more at that time - the ride will be about 30-40 minutes during traffic....🙄

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, totally crazy, got it.

 

If we (probably, apparently) miss the ship then I wonder if they'd hold our room if we called RCL to let them know we'll meet them in Palma.

 

Any thoughts about whether or not they'd let us on the ship in Palma?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dawnelda said:

The other thread on a possible missed embarkation has inspired me to ask for your thoughts as well please.

 

Hubby and I are flying from Toronto to Barcelona in September on Westjet, landing at noon in Barcelona. All-aboard for the Brilliance is 3 pm. The first port of call (the next day) is Palma de Mallorca.

 

I recognize that it's somewhat risky but I figure that if we miss the ship in Barcelona, we could catch it in Palma the next day without too much trouble or expense (maybe? I think there are flights from BCN to PMI almost every hour).

 

Thoughts?

If you are on time, and have checked luggage, you'll be lucky to be outside the airport by 1pm. Depending on traffic, I thinks it's about 30-45 minutes to the terminal. That doesn't leave much time for hold ups. I would guess booking same day flights aren't cheap. In hindsight, if you have to go to Plan B, going a day or two early would probably be cheaper and a whole lot less stressful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, dawnelda said:

Any thoughts about whether or not they'd let us on the ship in Palma?

Yes, assuming you arrange it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Okay...here are a few suggestions to help you:

When you get off the plane go directly to customs...do not stop at the bathroom. If the line is long, ask people if you can go in front of them....the worse they can say is "no," right?

Did you buy transfers with RC? You may want to do that. 

We arrived at BCN in May @2:30 and the people who were in front of us said that they purchased their airfare through RC as well as their transfers, so they weren't worried. When we retrieved our luggage, I saw the guy with the RC sign. They probably had 1/2 hour to spare, so I hope all turns out okay...please let us know!

Edited by ptf2009
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK--I agree this is cutting it too close.  . . . but, you did not ask that.  While we always arrive the day before a cruise unless we are sailing from Baltimore.  [We live about 3 hrs away and leave very early.]

 

We had a family obligation we could not get out of about 3 years ago when we left on a TA from Barcelona.  So for the first time ever we flew in the day of the cruise. Yikes. Our flight got in at 7:55 am. So we had some wiggle room.  I looked at all of the plan B and Plan C options.  

 

One option that I found was a ferry from Barcelona to Palma.  It takes about 8 hrs.  There are 2 companies that run this route and they have overnight runs.  I checked for tomorrow and a cabin for 2 runs 180 euros.  You arrive in the am and could meet the ship.  

https://ssl.directferries.com/ferry/secure/2a_booking_accom.aspx?stdc=DF10&grid=0&rfid=337&retn=false&curr=1&cult=en-GB&bd=1

 

 

I also looked at flights. That would have been my plan B--but, the ferry had some appeal, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One clarification...our cruise was to start the following day, but the people in front of us were going  on the cruise THAT day...not sure what ship....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

OK--I agree this is cutting it too close.  . . . but, you did not ask that.  While we always arrive the day before a cruise unless we are sailing from Baltimore.  [We live about 3 hrs away and leave very early.]

 

We had a family obligation we could not get out of about 3 years ago when we left on a TA from Barcelona.  So for the first time ever we flew in the day of the cruise. Yikes. Our flight got in at 7:55 am. So we had some wiggle room.  I looked at all of the plan B and Plan C options.  

 

One option that I found was a ferry from Barcelona to Palma.  It takes about 8 hrs.  There are 2 companies that run this route and they have overnight runs.  I checked for tomorrow and a cabin for 2 runs 180 euros.  You arrive in the am and could meet the ship.  It is a little cheaper just for two seats in economy. 

https://ssl.directferries.com/ferry/secure/2a_booking_accom.aspx?stdc=DF10&grid=0&rfid=337&retn=false&curr=1&cult=en-GB&bd=1

 

 

I also looked at flights. That would have been my plan B--but, the ferry had some appeal, too. It would have saved me the cost of a hotel room and likely be more relaxing. 

Sorry, I do not know why the double post. 

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PLEASE Try to get RC transfers from BCN to the port the day you arrive. See what RC says about your arrival time...if they will sell you transfers.

 

Have a wonderful cruise! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank goodness you have options!  I think all of us who have to fly to a cruise don't relax until we arrive at the airport of the city we are sailing from....no matter where it is:):):)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

One more thing...maybe ask the flight attendant if you can get off first if you don't have first or business class seats....every second will help you! LIke I said "RUN' to customs...it's easy to find once you depart from the plane. Oh, and BCN is probably the nicest airport I have ever seen...had a long wait on the return home since we were 6.5 hours delayed...grrrr.

Edited by ptf2009
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dawnelda said:

OK, totally crazy, got it.

 

If we (probably, apparently) miss the ship then I wonder if they'd hold our room if we called RCL to let them know we'll meet them in Palma.

 

Any thoughts about whether or not they'd let us on the ship in Palma?

I am anxious just reading this - why are you doing this to yourself?  Do you want to miss the first day?  I would be on the phone now to see if RCL will hold your room - or/and then be changing my flight to at least the day before the cruise leaves! I wouldn't even drive to Bayonne. NJ from Cape May, NJ without at least arriving 6 hours ahead of time.  Landing 3 hours before any cruise is insane!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't imagine putting myself under that kind of pressure to begin my vacation. Book a flight in a day early and relax!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since you are mentally prepared to catch the ship in Mallorca i think you will likely be fine, barring a hurricane or other major issues.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Timewise it is doable.  We did it in May.  From landing at Barcelona to literally being onboard took an hour and a half.  We did have a little bit more time to play with though because our flight landed at 09.45am and we were on board at 11.15am.

I'm not sure I would be quite so comfortable with a flight that lands at 12.  Not sure how it works for Canadian citizens - do you have immigration to go through?  If so I'd be a bit twitchy on that timescale.

Edited by livylotte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ferry sounds like a great backup plan.

We flew into Barcelona day of in Feb this year.  We landed at 7:30 am   We were at the pier at 10:00 am  2.5 hours.

We thought every thing went very smooth.  When we landed I felt very good since we had so much time. I do know the stress and won't do that again.   Our flight was also direct from Miami so we didn't worry about changing planes.

But I did research backup plans. It was a train but our first port was Valencia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

If you are on time, and have checked luggage, you'll be lucky to be outside the airport by 1pm. Depending on traffic, I thinks it's about 30-45 minutes to the terminal. That doesn't leave much time for hold ups. I would guess booking same day flights aren't cheap. In hindsight, if you have to go to Plan B, going a day or two early would probably be cheaper and a whole lot less stressful.

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi i live in Mallorca and it's quite easy to get from Barcelona to Mallorca but many flights are full , the flights are cheap with ryanair but booking in advance i would think it is risky expecting to get availability on the day , only option for me would be booking a barcelona - mallorca flight now in case you need it , also if you are checking in luggage will put the price up , ferry would be an option and you would arrive at the port so would save the 20 min drive from airport to port but also take into consideration ferry crossings can be cancelled due to bad weather .

The other more expensive airlines might have availabilty on the day but cost could be high , i personally wouldnt risk it , i would fly in to barcelona the day before even if cost you more in the end it could get expensive going from Barcelona to Mallorca , please ask if you have any questions .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...