Cruise Critic Community
KKB

Carnival Europe sailing--bringing wine onboard from ports

OK 3 of us are sailing so I know we can bring 3 bottles onboard (perfect, we are in Barcelona for a day prior to embarkation).

I know that I have heard that Princess is generous at Europe ports about allowing passengers to bring wine onboard from the various ports & not have to check it until the end. 

Does anyone know if Carnival does the same?

The rules are no different in Europe, however enforcement is almost, as in virtually, never. Beer, wine, liquor, all the same.

We were on the Horizon in Europe. They never checked any of our liquor. Not saying it will be the same on any other cruise there, but we definitely could have gotten away with bringing anything onboard. 

I never had any issue with bringing on wine and alcohol on the Vista in 2016 either. In Barcelona, there is a store past security also, where you can pick up some wine or alcohol. Wine is very inexpensive in Barcelona. Make sure you check out prices at Carrefour store.

I was on the Horizon TA and after checking in and bringing on my one allotted bottle, left the ship and went to the duty free store and bought more.  🤪  Also bought multiple bottles at each port.  No problems, just brought them straight to my cabin.  🍷👍🏻

Posted (edited)

Nice to hear. Sounds like that is the rule on most lines more than the exception.

Honestly we don't anticipate needing much after a long day of sightseeing. DM doesn't drink much & I'm not sure she drinks wine at all. But being in the Med I figured the wine would be VERY GOOD! And a glass before bed sounds relaxing.

Edited by KKB

11 minutes ago, KKB said:

Nice to hear. Sounds like that is the rule on most lines more than the exception.

Honestly we don't anticipate needing much after a long day of sightseeing. DM doesn't drink much & I'm not sure she drinks wine at all. But being in the Med I figured the wine would be VERY GOOD! And a glass before bed sounds relaxing.

I have never tried it on RCI in Europe, and I didn’t see others trying either. So I’m not sure what other lines allow it. But the best way to get the word out is discussing it on Cruise Critic.

BTW, Barcelona has really inexpensive and good wines. Try to find a Carrefour to shop at.

It's probably luck of the draw... we cruised the Med on another line, having come from 6 weeks in Paris, I had some wine and a bottle of whiskey... the whiskey (for a good friend) was in my carry on bag, figuring I'd plead with them to check it until we got off the boat the following week.  All of the liquor made it on board.

Someone a few staterooms down... none of their liquor made it on board.

We've sailed three times in Europe with Carnival ( Legend, Vista, Horizon ) and we've taken alcohol onboard at various ports of call. We did the Horizon TA and witnessed the duty free shop in the Barcelona terminal being emptied of just about everything on the store shelves. Same thing happened in Malta when we were on Vista, fairly certain the Mrs went back for more once we boarded. We didn't see anyone being stopped or anything taken off them. A lot of European ports have the duty free shops after the security checks.

56 minutes ago, JimmyTheSaint said:

We've sailed three times in Europe with Carnival ( Legend, Vista, Horizon ) and we've taken alcohol onboard at various ports of call. We did the Horizon TA and witnessed the duty free shop in the Barcelona terminal being emptied of just about everything on the store shelves. Same thing happened in Malta when we were on Vista, fairly certain the Mrs went back for more once we boarded. We didn't see anyone being stopped or anything taken off them. A lot of European ports have the duty free shops after the security checks.

Duty free after the security check?  In the Carribean ports they don't seem to check the liquor until you actually get on the ship.

I kinda hope this is the case when I sail next year in Europe.  I would like to brings some German beer on board from the Kiel stop and would be nice to be able to drink it in my room.