Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
shopgirl151

Formal nights on the Crown

Recommended Posts

I think this has been asked and answered before, but does my father need a blazer with his shirt and tie on the formal nights?   Will just the dress shirt and tie do?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shopgirl151 said:

I think this has been asked and answered before, but does my father need a blazer with his shirt and tie on the formal nights?   Will just the dress shirt and tie do?

 

Thanks

The answer is yes, but if you are wondering what may be more or less typical on a cruise, it is best to mention the location and journey.  The actual ship doesn't matter as the policies and what is allowed/not allowed is pretty consistent across the fleet.  Plus, staff changes around from time to time anyway and it is up to the actual MD staff as to what dress might be declined at the door.  A dress shirt and tie is very respectable for formal night, but many men also don a blazer.  Some will wear a full suit and of course some go black or white tie.  Some go with the long-sleeve shirt and no tie. 

 

Edited by steelers36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

The answer is yes, but if you are wondering what may be more or less typical on a cruise, it is best to mention the location and journey.  The actual ship doesn't matter as the policies and what is allowed/not allowed is pretty consistent across the fleet.  Plus, staff changes around from time to time anyway and it is up to the actual MD staff as to what dress might be declined at the door.  A dress shirt and tie is very respectable for formal night, but many men also don a blazer.  Some will wear a full suit and of course some go black or white tie.  Some go with the long-sleeve shirt and no tie. 

 

Our experience has been that a jacket is not required, but virtually all men have one on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shopgirl151 said:

I think this has been asked and answered before, but does my father need a blazer with his shirt and tie on the formal nights?   Will just the dress shirt and tie do?

 

Thanks

 

Yes.  

Your question has been asked and answered many times over.  

But, to answer your question, a dress shirt and tie will do.  BTW,  what kind of shoes will he wear?  Socks or no socks?

Enjoy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

Our experience has been that a jacket is not required, but virtually all men have one on.

 

That is new news.

Re:   Jacket

Are you certain virtually all men have one on?   What percentage?  What year?  What cruise line?

Enjoy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shopgirl151 said:

I think this has been asked and answered before, but does my father need a blazer with his shirt and tie on the formal nights?   Will just the dress shirt and tie do?

 

Thanks

Simple answer - Yes the shirt and tie will do.  No real need for the tie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright.  The question has been answered for the 873rd time here on CC.  Everyone to your corners and select your favorite outfit for formal night and then go read another thread.  :classic_cool:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite outfit for formal night is a guayabera shirt (short sleeved) and a pair of dockers.  This is what I have been wearing for the last several years and I am not alone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, paul929207 said:

Our experience has been that a jacket is not required, but virtually all men have one on.

Roger that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some men do only wear a shirt and tie but they are usually the minority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do what's most comfortable. They will allow shirt and tie with no problem. It's a mix. Some men will do just that, done will wear a blazer, and others will get fully dressed up in a tux. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with Paul about the Jacket if your cruise on the Crown is in Europe.  Our experience is that the European cruises are dressier.  JMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My DH hasn't worn a jacket in over 15 years or so no mater where we cruise to.

I believe many of the guys think they'll be denied entrance to the DR & therefore wear one, which was once the case.

Times have changed so it's really his choice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad has always worn a jacket to the MDR on formal nights. However on our most recent caribbean cruise 2 weeks ago , he wore it first formal night, then made his usual comment as always I'm how many guys didn't have jackets on (better yet those who just didn't dress appropriately as well) was feeling warm so opted no jacket. He has decided on future cruises no more jacket as he wears a nice a button shirt with tie. My dad has worn one and when he gets to the table he always took it off and placed it in his chair. So once again, do what's comfortable for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, shopgirl151 said:

I think this has been asked and answered before, but does my father need a blazer with his shirt and tie on the formal nights?   Will just the dress shirt and tie do?

 

Thanks

Now we will see a 100+ post discussion that will do nothing more on this issue than what has already been stated.

Edited by Potstech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Now we will see a 100+ post discussion that will do nothing more on this issue than what has already been stated.

everyone that posts will have an agenda

 

the pro dress up / traditional posters will state 'Princess dress code, blah, blah, blah, and that almost all men wore at least a tie and jacket

 

the pro casual will state the dress code is a mere suggestion and not ( or rarely ... to cya ) enforced ... and that the majority of men wore maybe dockers and a dress shirt on formal nights

 

funny how there is NEVER a mention of what passes for women's wear..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, voljeep said:

everyone that posts will have an agenda

 

the pro dress up / traditional posters will state 'Princess dress code, blah, blah, blah, and that almost all men wore at least a tie and jacket

 

the pro casual will state the dress code is a mere suggestion and not ( or rarely ... to cya ) enforced ... and that the majority of men wore maybe dockers and a dress shirt on formal nights

 

funny how there is NEVER a mention of what passes for women's wear..

That's simply because there isn't much said no matter what we choose to wear. 

We haven't been forced to wear jackets, ties or even long pants on casual evenings. 

Most of the dress code enforcement in past years had always been directed towards the men. Like I've stated, times have changed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, paul929207 said:

Our experience has been that a jacket is not required, but virtually all men have one on.

Not on our last cruise on the Regal. Look like less than 50% wore them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Alright.  The question has been answered for the 873rd time here on CC.  Everyone to your corners and select your favorite outfit for formal night and then go read another thread.  :classic_cool:

 

😄😄😄😄😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Re:  Formal Nights.   Footwear.

Is it ok for men to wear sandals or crocs?  Socks or no socks?

And for women?  The same?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Re:  Formal Nights.   Footwear.

Is it ok for men to wear sandals or crocs?  Socks or no socks?

And for women?  The same?

Why not? No one inspects peoples feet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

crocs?

NEVER !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

NEVER !!

I defy anyone to even notice them being worn. My DH wears his long pants & with a pair of black socks that almost cover them except for the front portions.

Very inconspicuous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience on back-to-back cruises to Alaska on the Island Princess earlier this summer: about half the men at second seating traditional dining wore jackets--either a sport coat, suit jacket, or tuxedo jacket. The latter were very scarce. I'm planning on leaving my jacket at home on my next cruise. I'm willing to take the chance that they won't turn me away if I wear a dress shirt with a tie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Princess cruise is not a camping trip, no matter how much your paid for your accommodations. When you are on a "Luxury" cruise ship ..  act like you are getting one up on everyone , (because your are) and be just a bit over the top with your actions, manners and attitude.  We ALL have paid the fare... you get to make it a big deal or not with your actions and appearance.  IMOHO!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...