HAL pier

larry_s_taco

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Stinger-pr said:

It will dock at the Old San Juan pier.

Thanks Stinger-pr. That is what I was hoping for. Are there any local tour companies you can recommend that would give us a 2 hour tour around San Juan? The cruise ship offers some, but they don't sound very interesting, and seem rushed according to the reviews that I've read. We would like to just get a good overview of the area, then return to Old Town and just do a walking tour on our own. 

Being local, I'm unable to point to specific operators as per CC guidelines. But you can go about your plans two ways: You can take the free trolley that takes you around the old city for free. It has stops in places like fort San Cristobal and El Morro and it's free. I'd recommend you walk left as yo exit the ship and find a stop that's one or two stops before the pier since there's always a crowd to take the trolleys at the pier. That way you'd have a better chance at grabbing some seats. Also, make sure you take the open-air trolleys. There's also some air conditioned, closed ones but those loop on the inside part of the city around the shopping areas. None of them have guides narrating but it's a good option for easy transfer between certain points of interest.

Another option is to negotiate with tour operators or taxi drivers right at the pier. They are able to drive you around and drop you off at your discretion when you are done. Talk to them and explain what your expectations area beforehand so you don't get stuck with someone who knows squat about Old SJ. I'm not sure about prices but I'm guessing it's about $20 per person for such a ride.

These guys here have tons of info about precisely self guided walking tours of Old SJ: https://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-walking-tour-1/

The tourist center they talk about is at Plaza de la Darcena is located about 5 minutes walking to the left  on the pier when you exit the ship and it's a great starting point.

I don’t think there’s a problem with recommending local taxi or tour operators. 

On our Roll Calls we list them, organize tours with them, etc. 

You definitely cannot mention travel agencies or agents. 

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

I don’t think there’s a problem with recommending local taxi or tour operators. 

There is a problem if you're a local resident such as Stinger-pr...to put it directly it's not allowed. 

Please read the second "sticky" at the top of this board, titled "Participation of Tour Operators, Locals, Business Owners & Guides! .  You'll find the following: 

"Participation of Local Experts in Ports of Call

Locals living in ports of call are encouraged to contribute, as long as their recommendations are general in nature. Those living in ports of call who recommend individual businesses or tour operators/guides will find that their posts have been removed and their posting privileges may be suspended."

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Blue Eyes said:

Stinger-pr...is there an online map showing the route of the open air trolley.

The last report we've seen on Cruise Critic, from early September, is that the free trolley is not currently running. Since Hurricane Maria over two years ago service has been on and off, but it's apparently off right now. That could change, but no one seems to know when or if it will.

On 8/23/2019 at 8:09 PM, njhorseman said:

There is a problem if you're a local resident such as Stinger-pr...to put it directly it's not allowed. 

Please read the second "sticky" at the top of this board, titled "Participation of Tour Operators, Locals, Business Owners & Guides! .  You'll find the following: 

"Participation of Local Experts in Ports of Call

Locals living in ports of call are encouraged to contribute, as long as their recommendations are general in nature. Those living in ports of call who recommend individual businesses or tour operators/guides will find that their posts have been removed and their posting privileges may be suspended."

Thanks for posting that. As a local that actually works in the hospitality business, some times I can have good info on specific places here in PR. Unfortunately, I have to be very careful as to how I recommend places and activities. For example I usually write a disclaimer about recommending a specific place or operator when it's either a non-profit organization or if some one or some company are the only ones providing a tour/service so that Mods can understand and I don't get penalized for it. Most people are understanding, a few just want their answers.

6 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The last report we've seen on Cruise Critic, from early September, is that the free trolley is not currently running. Since Hurricane Maria over two years ago service has been on and off, but it's apparently off right now. That could change, but no one seems to know when or if it will.

I haven't been to San Juan since May and even then it was just for a short time and I didn't really look for the trolleys. As of last month, news is that they are not running. Still, here are two good links for info and route maps. The second one goes more into details about the various stops and have some tips for using the trolleys (if and when they are back running).

https://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/

https://sanjuanpuertorico.com/trolley-old-san-juan/