Hotels in Auckland and Sydney

Cruising from Auckland to Sydney next spring and look8ng for hotel recommendations in both cities.  Not necessarily right at the cruise port or airport, more interested in good locations for sightseeing.  Also any must see items d be appreciated!  TIA

Can't help with NZ, but I recently stayed at the Mantra 2 Bond Street in Sydney when I was down there for a concert at the Opera House. It was a great place to stay. Pricing was excellent and it's an easy stroll to Circular Quay (way less than 10 minutes) and the cruise terminal (assuming you are sailing into Overseas Passenger Terminal??). Was a nicely renovated 1 bedroom serviced apartment with a small kitchen which makes it great if you're staying a few days.

Hotel was 2 mins walk from Wynyard Train Station that can take you straight to the airport or can give you easy access to the rest of Sydney - and the hotel did a decent buffet breakfast in the foyer for about AUD$20 (plus happy hour drinks at night!) I couldn't fault it, and would definitely stay there for future visits. Very close to everything but without the harbourview price tag.

• Like 1

I would say it is into the OPT, would hazard a guess at an X cruise. Depending on what the OP wants to visit and how long, I would recommend the Meriton Apartments on King st near Wynyard, close enough to the pier and many of the attractions around Sydney as well as public transport.

• Like 1

We always stay at the Amora Hotel (link below) when we travel to Sydney.  It's very conveniently located to most touristy things including the train station.  Despite what Sydneysiders will often say, we find the train network and safety in Sydney to be excellent.  When travelling it is always a great option in my mind to take public transport, not simply for the cost factor but to actually see the place the way the prople who live there do.  Just a suggestion, but we once spent an entire day travelling on the various ferrys out of Circular Quay, what a great way to spend a day!

https://www.amorahotels.com/hotels/amora-hotel-jamison-sydney?utm_source=google-local&utm_medium=organic

• Like 1

I usually stay at Four Seasons in Sydney.  Horribly expensive but easy walk to/from ship, The Rocks,  Opera House and CBD. I'm able to walk everywhere.  

In Auckland, depending on how much time you’re there, take advantage of how small North Island is and get out of the city. There are some great parts of NZ that are only a couple of hours drive away. 

For Sydney, if you’re on a budget you can get decent rates for the ibis or Novotel at Darling Harbour. Good location to be close to lots of things to do and places to eat. They are sister hotels and share facilities, the Novotel is the nicer of the two. If you can splurge a bit more on the other hand, the Four Seasons in The Rocks is lovely and particularly close to the OPT. 

Things to do - climb the Harbour Bridge, go for drinks at night at the Opera Bar, take a day tour to the Blue Mountains 

My advice is to stay somewhere similar to what I mentioned, as you can get the ferry from white bay to King's wharf which is very close to Wynyard station. there are lots of options but I stand by the Meriton apartments for longer stays.

If you're staying in Auckland three nights or more then I recommend the Auckland Waterfront Apartments which are actually on Princes Wharf. Lovely one bedroom apartments overlooking the harbour bridge.

Another good option is the Waldorf Stadium Apartment Hotel which is only a few blocks from the cruise wharves and close to a number of good restaurants.

11 hours ago, Moo1957 said:

We only have one night in Auckland and two in Sydney😫. I don’t want my husband to forget who I am if I’m away too long!  

I often wish that Mrs Gut would forget who I am, might save me some grief.

• Haha 1

Staying at Holiday Inn Potts Point/Kings Cross pre Majestic Princess in February.  Half the price of the Holiday Inns and equivalent hotels in CBD.   Only one stop past Town Hall station.  KX station is right there with the Holiday Inn.

I don't like risking driving up to Sydney on day of cruise or flight, with all the road closures happening on south coast, fires, crashes etc.

48 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Staying at Holiday Inn Potts Point/Kings Cross pre Majestic Princess in February.  Half the price of the Holiday Inns and equivalent hotels in CBD.   Only one stop past Town Hall station.  KX station is right there with the Holiday Inn.

I don't like risking driving up to Sydney on day of cruise or flight, with all the road closures happening on south coast, fires, crashes etc.

Depending on the trip, we often stay the night before as well.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Depending on the trip, we often stay the night before as well.

Yes, ease yourselves into cruise mode by a nice night down town.  Way to go.

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

We go the night before, probably b3cause I once spent three days on the wrong end of the Freeway, and by going a day earlier I leave us with some semblance of a chance of finding a work around