FCD Gotch'a

hobbyfarmer2

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

WE have to purchase more on our next cruise. We have 5 cruises booked so are down to only 1 FCD each remaining. Definitely have to purchase more. We sail in October and again in November so will purchase then - probably on the October cruise as there is no sense messing around and waiting. People sometimes think they have enough but actually don't. We had 4 each "in the bank" but got a bit wild and booked a B2B2B for next fall. We were very glad that we had the FCD available.

Even though we had "enough" on our most recent cruise, I bought 3 more each and after we got home, I called Princess to cancel out and refund our oldest ones.  Keeps the date moving forward so they don't expire without having excess funds tied up.

To those who question giving the Princess your money to hold, I am in the camp with those of us who see the great ROI in OBC.

And the principle is guaranteed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Just received an unexpected result when I tried to apply FCD credits to a cruise we booked before we bought the FCD credits.  Seems that the FCD has to be purchased before the cruise has been booked in order for the FCD to be applied by the Princess computer system.  This somewhat works against booking cruises far in the future unless you have FCD in the bank, so to speak. 

Future Cruise Deposit....

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Wut???       😳

To simplify, I spent $600 and have received $900 so far back and will at a minimum received $1,100 back but it could be a lot more if we use those last two deposits.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, memoak said:

My issue with FCD’s is that you are essentially giving them your money to hold rather than keeping it in an interest bearing account

Most savings or checking accounts don't pay much of an interest rate and nothing at all like the $25 you'll get on a $100 cruise deposit!.

Tom

We always have 2 or 3 FCD's for each of us.  The money is returned if not used in two years which is not a problem for us.  The FCD allows us to make reservations using our $100 FCD instead of the usual higher booking fee.  The frosting on all this is the $100/$250 OBC depending on the length of the cruise.  Very nice return on our deposit with the deposit guaranteed to be returned if not used.  

RCL has a system of FCD with rewards but if not used in 2 years the amount is forfeited!   

8 hours ago, geoherb said:

I also like to have multiple FCDs on my account. I bought three apiece for us when I was able to get the $100 back on American Express for spending $500. I used two of mine for my back-to-back cruises in Alaska and my third one for September's transatlantic cruise. I applied one of DH's to the transatlantic. So for my initial $600, I've so far used $400 as deposits, received $100 back from Amex, received $50 in OBC, and will receive $150 more in OBC plus still have $200 for future deposits for DH--a total of $900 not counting whatever OBC we'll get if we use DH's two additional FCDs, and worst case the $200 back if we don't book before they expire.

I need a math tutor.  

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, memoak said:

My issue with FCD’s is that you are essentially giving them your money to hold rather than keeping it in an interest bearing account

Benefits

$100 deposits instead of the 10%

Totally refundable if not used.

OBC which is certainly more than any interest that can be earned.

You need to re-think your math.

• 2 weeks later...

I planned to purchase FCDs on our Alaskan cruise last week. I got so caught up in the cruise (and sick), that I left without purchasing them. Is it too late? I thought you had a grace period after the cruise? I contacted my TA  she says because I have a cruise booked for Geb, that I can't purchase the FCDs for any future booking. Your thought and experience appreciated. TIA

10 hours ago, Bubbs33 said:

I planned to purchase FCDs on our Alaskan cruise last week. I got so caught up in the cruise (and sick), that I left without purchasing them. Is it too late? I thought you had a grace period after the cruise? I contacted my TA  she says because I have a cruise booked for Geb, that I can't purchase the FCDs for any future booking. Your thought and experience appreciated. TIA

Call Princess.  I used to read on here you could still purchase for a certain amount of time after you got home but with reduced OBC.

On 7/20/2019 at 5:32 AM, dickinson said:

Future Cruise deposit is just that... a deposit.  If you have already booked then you have already paid a deposit.  The FCD is for cruises you have not yet booked.  It is an incentive to book another cruise.

...for the FUTURE. 😍