A Huge Thank You

To all of you on the Carnival boards.  We are leaving tomorrow morning for Charleston to board Sunshine on Monday for a 5-day cruise.  We are celebrating the high school graduation of our older granddaughter, who requested a family cruise as her graduation gift from Poppy and Nana.  The party also includes our 3-year-old granddaughter.  We are experienced cruisers on RCCL, and I would be totally comfortable with all of the details if we were sailing on Royal.  We have not sailed on Carnival for many years.  I so want this cruise to be a great experience for the whole family.  I have purchased FTTF and rented a villa on HMC.  I 've had so many questions, and the folks on this forum (for the most part) have been so kind and helpful.  It has made me vow that I will try to be more helpful to those asking questions on the Royal forums.

Thank you!

• Like 9

FTTF will be nice if you want to arrive early, go through a priority line, and drop off your carry on bags.  It's so nice to have the cabin available as soon as you board the ship.  For my last cruise, I was unpacked (we traveled with only carry ons) by 11:10 am and were enjoying lunch at Guy's Burgers a few minutes later. The villa at HMC sounds amazing!  I love that port.  It's the perfect beach day.  

Congratulations to your granddaughter. What a wonderful graduation gift!  She will always remember it.  I hope your family has an amazing time.

Hoping you have an excellent time! Our oldest granddaughter is sailing with us in October, sort of the same thing as you are. She graduated from High School last month and is going on her first cruise since 2010. She is as excited as we are! Above all, have fun!

I LOVE FTTF!  I am now Platinum so don't have to purchase it anymore, but I most certainly did while I was Gold.  I carried on my bags in 2 carryons.  I also had a large purse (tote or backpack).  It was wonderful being among the first to board and go straight to my cabin.  I would be unpacked before most had boarded the ship.  Then I would go to the Lido deck, eat and drink!  

I for one, enjoyed our cruise on the Sunshine.  The adults only pool got a little crowded at times, but I loved the layout.

Have a great time!

We were not new to Carnival, but I learned a lot I didn’t know about Carnival and the Horizon by accessing these boards for our last cruise which ended two weeks ago and I definitely think it enhanced our vacation experience! We also went post-graduation (my son). Enjoy your vacation!!! We’ve already booked another- so more planning! 🤗 🚢 🏝☀️

Congrats to your granddaughter, and so nice she wants to spend time with her family!  We also are going out of Charleston on the Sunshine, 9/7/19, for the first time.  If you have time please come back and share your thoughts on the port and your trip from there overall.  We have sailed on the Sunshine 3 times but from larger ports.  We really enjoyed the ship, since it does have a lot of extra amenities and options for different food choices.  We are only 3 hours from the port so we are looking forward to the short drive.  Hope you all have a great time with quality time spent!

1 hour ago, 13cheermom said:

Congrats to your granddaughter, and so nice she wants to spend time with her family!  We also are going out of Charleston on the Sunshine, 9/7/19, for the first time.  If you have time please come back and share your thoughts on the port and your trip from there overall.  We have sailed on the Sunshine 3 times but from larger ports.  We really enjoyed the ship, since it does have a lot of extra amenities and options for different food choices.  We are only 3 hours from the port so we are looking forward to the short drive.  Hope you all have a great time with quality time spent!

Thanks!  I’ll certainly report back.  Being closer to the port is definitely why we choose this cruise. We didn’t want our other son and his wife to have to travel so far with a toddler. 

You are going to love the villa at HMC!  It's so nice with a toddler (we did it a couple of years ago with family including 4 grands 5 and under).  You probably already are aware of this, but be sure to go to guest services as soon as you board in order to choose your villa.  There are some very close to the buffet area and other activities.  These are very convenient, but also come with a bit of noise.  There are some farther down the beach that are quieter, and there is a shuttle to take you to and from the dock.  

Just depends on whether you would rather have the convenience or the privacy.  

Oh, we are Poppy and Nana too! You are the first I have heard with the same nicknames! We took 2 of our grands when they were 6 & 8. Of course, they want to go back but now their brother is 4 (they are now 9 & 12). I told them when they get a little older and stop all their bickering, we'll go! LOL! We will be back on Sunshine in September to Bermuda. Hope you are having a great cruise.