Reschedule due to illness?

kbutler48

Hi all! My husband and I are scheduled to be on the Horizon in October but unfortunately, he was diagnosed with brain cancer in April. We were hoping that the break between radiation and chemo would be perfect timing for our trip but it’s looking like radiation won’t be done in time. We’re looking to push back the cruise until early next year. 

I’m wondering if anyone has had to reschedule due to illness and if Carnival was willing to work with you? I’m wondering if there’s extra fees associated with changing dates or if Carnival is understanding. 

I’m also wondering if anyone has cruised during chemo treatment? My husband will be taking Temodar, so it’s a pill instead of an IV. Any tips on ways to still enjoy a cruise during chemo? 

Thanks for your help 🙂

Possibly you might get a positive response but if you dont have ins that will cover this you may be out your deposit....im not a frequent carnival cruiser so others can tell you...i just wanted to wish you and your husband a full and speedy recovery....i am receiving treatment into infinity and know how much you desire life to get back to "normal"...

• Like 2

When is the final payment date for your cruise?  It’s likely coming up soon. (Final payment for our Sept. 28th cruise was on July 15th.). As long as the final payment day has not passed, you can cancel with no penalty unless you booked Early Saver.  Then just re-book if and when you find it feasible to do so.  This would be your easiest option (and perhaps the best one if you  decide trying to cruise during chemo is not a good idea.) 

Best wishes to both of you.  We have been in that situation, and as hard as it is to hear - if you haven't reached final payment date yet, your best result is to cancel and rebook later.  If you wait too long, you will lose your deposit and any other payments unless you purchased trip insurance through Carnival or a third party.

Hope you have an excellent outcome.

First, I wish you all the luck. To answer your question, if you booked Early Saver, it will cost you $50.00 pp to cancel and rebook, as long as it's before final payment date. Otherwise, it will cost you nothing.

I have not cruised during chemo, but I have cruised shortly after chemo and radiation. I planned for a quiet cruise. We got a shady balcony (a Cove Balcony, in our case) so we could hang out there a lot. I took extra care with the sun precautions and did what I could to avoid folks who seemed like they might be having colds or anything else communicable. We bought Faster to the Fun so we could get right to our cabin and I could take a nap if I needed it.

It was great to get away from all the medical stuff and we both came back much less stressed. 

We had to change our cruise date, as the original date we had planned was right at the end of chemo and before radiation. I believe we paid the $50 per person penalty, but they held the rest of our deposit for the new cruise which I booked as soon as I had the schedule for radiation. I think we boarded the ship 2 to 3 weeks after radiation ended.

One you see how it goes with the oral chemo, I suspect you will be able to pick a new date confidently.

Thank you all for your well wishes! It’s been a shock to us for sure (my husband is only 30) but we’re getting through. 

I went ahead and cancelled the cruise online so we so we can book once we see how he feels on the oral chemo. If it’s too much for him, we can always go after he finishes chemo. The type he’s going to take is supposed to be relatively easy on the body, especially since he’s young. It would certainly be nice if we could go mid-chemo for a short break 🙂

The letter I received after cancellation explained the non-refundable deposit but didn’t mention anything about what I already paid towards the cruise. I had already paid in full so does anyone know what happens to those funds? 

@virginiab thank you for your tips and advice! We definitely plan on taking it easy. I’m so glad to hear your cruise was a nice break from all of the medical stuff. I hope you are doing well now, after treatment! 

Best wishes to both of you.  I had to cancel our cruise last March because my husband had to have a triple bypass in January.  I too had paid for the cruise by credit card long before final payment was due.  It took about a week or two but it was refunded to my credit card.  They usually are pretty prompt so I'd say you should have your refund within two weeks.