Soda on the Harmony-soda type and form of delivery

We have a cruise booked on the Harmony of the Seas next February.  I am a newbie to RCCL too, have never sailed this cruise line, so know little to nothing about offerings. 

What kind of soda is offered on the Harmony and in what form?  I am debating on whether or not to get the soda package for me.  I love Diet Coke cans, for example, but don't like Diet Coke from a soda fountain or soda fountain machine or in the plastic bottles.  Are soda cans available with the package, and if so where can you get them?  Drinking a can of Diet Coke on my ocean view balcony sounds heavenly.   I heard that RCCL has those self service soda drink machines, but I don't like soda from those.

The other soft drink that I like is Diet Dr. Pepper.  For this I am OK with both cans and then 16 oz plastic bottles, but don't care for the soda from the fountain machines or those self service soda drink machines.

I very much appreciate your help and information.  This will let me know if the soda package would be worthwhile for me, or if I will mostly just be drinking tap water on the cruise (which would mean a soda package would be a waste of money).   

Over 100 different options from the Coke Freestyle machine.

About 6 different options from a bar or restaurant.

Cans are not generally given with the soda package and would cost around $4 to purchase singly.

Royal allows you to bring on 12 containers of non-alcoholic beverages per stateroom, each no larger than 500ml.

• Like 1

Thanks so much Clarea and Biker19,  

So many love the freestyle machines, but as I don't care for the taste of soda from them and since cans which I like aren't included, the soda package would make no sense for me.  Thanks so much for explaining.

$4 is pretty outrageous for a can. 

I'll try to bring on a 12 pack of cans of Diet Coke.  Actually since we have two rooms, could I bring two of these?  Or would I need to split these 12 pack cases into two carryons to do that?  I was hoping I could have one small wheeled bag that could hold two.  Four of us (two staterooms will be boarding together).  My dad will need wheelchair assistance for boarding, walks with a cane, etc. and I wouldn't want to burden him with carryon luggage.  My son who will be in the other cabin with my dad will already have a carryon backpack with photography equipment and electronics, and I wouldn't want to burden him with another carryon.  And DH who will only have a small briefcase for a carryon and could manage another carryon is in my same stateroom, so that's not an option.  Are two cases in one carryon for the two rooms an option or would you recommend that I just bring one on.  No one else in my party will have any interest in bringing any beverages on board.

I will bring an extra empty wheeled bag on the trip (flying Southwest, so even though it would fit in the overhead, I will check the bag), just to be able to bring soda with me onboard and manage it easily.

Thanks again.  You've been so helpful.

Yes, you can bring one 12-pack per stateroom. 

There might be a problem if one person tried to bring on more than 12 containers.  I'd try to find some way that two people can carry one the cans just for the secuity check,  Right after the security check, you can move the cans to whoever you want.

• Like 1

Just now, Host Clarea said:

Yes, you can bring one 12-pack per stateroom.

Will it be OK to have both in the same bag if we are all boarding together.  Both cabins were booked with same credit card and are linked?

3 minutes ago, kathy884 said:

Will it be OK to have both in the same bag if we are all boarding together.  Both cabins were booked with same credit card and are linked?

Linking and credit card make no difference to the security people.  Try to split up the cans between two people just for the security check.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kathy884 said:

Kathy put both in the carryon. When you get to the security check in take one out and hand it to your son. He can scan it through with his things. After you get on the other side put it back into your carryon and roll it onboard 🙂 If it was me I would ask TSA if it can stay in carryon but let them know you have two cabins 🙂 My motto is if you ask not you get not 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LewLewBelle said:

Kathy put both in the carryon. When you get to the security check in take one out and hand it to your son. He can scan it through with his things. After you get on the other side put it back into your carryon and roll it onboard 🙂 If it was me I would ask TSA if it can stay in carryon but let them know you have two cabins 🙂 My motto is if you ask not you get not 🙂

Great thought LewLewBell.  Thank you for posting.  If they confiscate the one case, the worst that could happen (if I pay a high price for 12 at a grocery or convenience store), is that I am out $6 (1 1/2 cans of Diet Coke charges on the cruise line).

4 minutes ago, kathy884 said:

Great thought LewLewBell.  Thank you for posting.  If they confiscate the one case, the worst that could happen (if I pay a high price for 12 at a grocery or convenience store), is that I am out $6 (1 1/2 cans of Diet Coke charges on the cruise line).

You have two cabins and you will be able to prove it to security with your set sail passes.  When we went through Port Canaveral, there was a security guard checking drinks prior to the scanner and sending people with extra back to their cars or pointing out the trash can.  I did not see anyone questioned at the scanner.  If they do question the two 12 packs at the scanner, just say you have two cabins and offer to show your set sail passes.  I wouldn't bother taking anything out of the one carryon unless they make you.  Just be up front about it and you will have no issue.  They know groups of four can have two cabins and you are allowed two 12 packs.

• Like 1

If you don't have the "package", you can BUY cans of soda "a la carte" whenever you desire.  If you are on the package, it will be from the Freestyle machine or a gun at any bar.  ON private island/beaches, it's from a 2-litre bottle, if they don't have an actual bar set up with the "guns".

• Like 1

If you like your DC "ice cold" but not diluted with ice in a cup, don't plan on relying on the fridge in the cabin. They are more like coolers. A real fridge is at 37 degrees and these coolers are about 50. Bring a small waterproof cooler bag and have the cabin attendant fill it with ice daily and use that to cool your DC.

• Like 1