First time as 'In-Transit' passenger...

msmayor

Husband and I are sailing on the Eurodam this October as she moves from Vancouver to San Diego.  We booked the trip as one 11-night cruise, but HAL is also selling it as a 4-night from Vancouver to San Diego and then a 7-night R/T from San Diego to the Mexican Riviera.  This, I believe, will make us 'in-transit' passengers on our first arrival into San Diego.

The ship sails from San Diego at 5:00pm.  Despite us already being 'checked in' for the next seven night segment of the trip, are we still required to be on board two hours before sailing just like any new passengers?  We haven't made any plans yet for that day (HAL is offering a couple of tours, but we haven't decided if we want to do one of those, stay on the ship or just do some exploring on our own) but curious how this will work for us.

For anyone familiar with the San Diego port area, is there anything that is walkable from the ship that we can do?  I think we'd want to at least stretch our legs a bit and stay out of the crew's way while they turn around the ship.

31 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Husband and I are sailing on the Eurodam this October as she moves from Vancouver to San Diego.  We booked the trip as one 11-night cruise, but HAL is also selling it as a 4-night from Vancouver to San Diego and then a 7-night R/T from San Diego to the Mexican Riviera.  This, I believe, will make us 'in-transit' passengers on our first arrival into San Diego.

The ship sails from San Diego at 5:00pm.  Despite us already being 'checked in' for the next seven night segment of the trip, are we still required to be on board two hours before sailing just like any new passengers?  We haven't made any plans yet for that day (HAL is offering a couple of tours, but we haven't decided if we want to do one of those, stay on the ship or just do some exploring on our own) but curious how this will work for us.

For anyone familiar with the San Diego port area, is there anything that is walkable from the ship that we can do?  I think we'd want to at least stretch our legs a bit and stay out of the crew's way while they turn around the ship.

The Midway is adjacent to the cruise terminal. It is worth several hours. There is also the Maritime Museum on the other side, also worthy of a few hours. Both are quite walkable (a couple hundred yards from the ship).

Balboa Park is incredible and with all the museums and beautiful open spaces it could take days to see. I’m sure someone will come along with information on how to get there besides Uber or a taxi.

What are your interests?

Midway:  https://www.midway.org/

San Diego Maritime: https://sdmaritime.org/

Balboa Park: https://www.balboapark.org/

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Thanks 1

You will receive instructions and an IN TRANSIT card to show when you return to the ship so that you can bypass any lines.  Usually you can't reboard until about 10:30 am but return to the ship anytime after that.  The info letter will tell you if you need to show up for Muster Drill (unlikely), but check on that. Otherwise boarding time will be prominently noted in the daily program and at the gangway when you leave the ship.

Seaport Village is a nice waterfront stroll.

I love this cruise!  Nice and easy, peasant port!  Have fun!!!

Whether you have to be on board 2 hours before sailing depends on if you have to attend the muster drill or not.  There seems to be less requirement for the 2nd muster drill for those in transit as long as the cruise is under 30 days.  You can still be required to attend - it seems to depend on the ship and Itinerary.  You will get a letter advising you one way or the other.

There is a ton of stuff near the ship to do as mentioned.  It’s a very pretty area.

There is also a ho ho bus that stops at the cruise port if you want to get an overview of San Diego.

Seaport Village is being torn down and redeveloped.  There is lots to see and do within walking distance of the terminal or a short bus or Uber ride.  How about the HOHO bus tour?

I had a not good experience with being an in-transit passenger on my San Diego to Vancouver coastal cruise this past spring.  HAL crew and terminal personnel didn't know what to do with us.  This was in Vancouver.

Roz

10 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

San Diego has so much too offer.

Use the HoHo bus to get to Seaport Village -- lots of small shops and restaurants.

We enjoyed Midway and then ate next door at the Fish Market restaurant.

I live here and KK beat me to it!! Love her!

listen my city has so much to offer! You can take our trolley service that will actually take you to Seaport Village (Which is walkable from the terminal)! Just get off the ship bear right and you will see it! Harbour House has a wonderful view of the San Diego Harbour and good food! 

The Trolley you can buy a ticket right at the dock to the right of where the ship is docked! It will take you everywhere! Seaport Village , The Zoo, across over to Coronado on the trolley to Hotel Del where the old movie SOME LIKE IT HOT  was filmed! Great outdoor cafe there with wonderful cocktails! I live in a beach community called Leucadia and we will take our commuter train and have a wonderful time down there. Also downtown the GAS LAMP DISTRICT has great bistros and food!! That is what is called HO HO! Our Dan Diego Trolley!

Welcome to our wonderful city by the bay.

Denise😊

• Like 1

Great advice! As another long time SD resident I would choose the Midway and Coronado. If you haven't done a battleship, definitely tour the Midway (stairs are involved)! I would also take the ferry over to Coronado - great beach, shopping and the infamous Hotel del Coronado - an absolute MUST visit! Both are minutes and steps away from exiting the Eurodam! (BTW - although we've done this a number of times, we're also on board for the 11 days because we love this coastal trip - especially since it's offering a rare visit to Santa Barbara )

https://www.coronadoferrylanding.com/ferry-info

https://www.midway.org/visit/buy-tickets/

10 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

San Diego has so much too offer.

Use the HoHo bus to get to Seaport Village -- lots of small shops and restaurants.

We enjoyed Midway and then ate next door at the Fish Market restaurant.

I believe the fish market was redeveloped. Anyone with current information?

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I believe the fish market was redeveloped. Anyone with current information?

Way back when it was called Tom Lias restaurant!! I’m dating myself😊 Such a wonderful seafood restaurant so long ago! we used to go there all the time where now Fish Market is. Our daughter is 42 now ( time goes by so fast ) and the owners Sold  her to now the famous Fish Market!! The food is superb and their seafood market is one of a kind where I will go to get my fresh fish for bouillabaisse!

Now downstairs is a great seafood bar with smoked fish great cocktails and good food. Now upstairs is their more intimate dining experience and it is so romantic and the best table service ever! Beautiful views!

You say redeveloped We have been going here for over 20 years and it is the same.

Good food!,

Now where Anthony’s seafood that has been on the ward for ever is gone, and The Brigatine Restaurant is now developing a new restaurant and it has been in the process since 2018! Still nothing of progress is happening right now. We live right next to Solana Beach with the original Brigatine Restaurant where we go for happy hour and to watch the races at Del Mar race track.

Sorry for the long reply!

Hope this helps

Denise😊

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Way back when it was called Tom Lias restaurant!! I’m dating myself😊 Such a wonderful seafood restaurant so long ago! we used to go there all the time where now Fish Market is. Our daughter is 42 now ( time goes by so fast ) and the owners Sold  her to now the famous Fish Market!! The food is superb and their seafood market is one of a kind where I will go to get my fresh fish for bouillabaisse!

Now downstairs is a great seafood bar with smoked fish great cocktails and good food. Now upstairs is their more intimate dining experience and it is so romantic and the best table service ever! Beautiful views!

You say redeveloped We have been going here for over 20 years and it is the same.

Good food!,

Now where Anthony’s seafood that has been on the ward for ever is gone, and The Brigatine Restaurant is now developing a new restaurant and it has been in the process since 2018! Still nothing of progress is happening right now. We live right next to Solana Beach with the original Brigatine Restaurant where we go for happy hour and to watch the races at Del Mar race track.

Sorry for the long reply!

Hope this helps

Denise😊

Oh, my mistake. I believe it is (was) Anthony’s I’m thinking of... with the Fishette adjacent. We loved that place.

6 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Oh, my mistake. I believe it is (was) Anthony’s I’m thinking of... with the Fishette adjacent. We loved that place.

6 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

We loved that place also, but the rent went out the roof so the original owners decided to leave! 

Denise😊

On 7/21/2019 at 9:33 AM, msmayor said:

You will have to clear U.S.  immigration 

On 7/21/2019 at 9:33 AM, msmayor said:

You must be aboard in time for sailaway.  You will have to leave the ship and wait for it to'zero down, meaning all guests who are leaving the ship, have don so.  this happens in US. ports.  It will b announced when you may go back on boar.

You willget a  letter the last night of your first segment  outlining meal times and instructions.

Edited by sail7seas

On 7/21/2019 at 10:13 AM, kazu said:

Whether you have to be on board 2 hours before sailing depends on if you have to attend the muster drill or not.  There seems to be less requirement for the 2nd muster drill for those in transit as long as the cruise is under 30 days.  You can still be required to attend - it seems to depend on the ship and Itinerary.  You will get a letter advising you one way or the other.

I think it depends somewhat on Staff Captain and Master of the vessel.

There is a ton of stuff near the ship to do as mentioned.  It’s a very pretty area.

There is also a ho ho bus that stops at the cruise port if you want to get an overview of San Diego.

I returned from b-to b- in May  and   though in the  past, we often had to do another lifeboat  drill, this time   b -to-b'ers were excused.  It was made clear in the letter we got the day before turn around day. 

I suspect for your itinerary, OP,  there will be many b-to-b' ers on for a "booze cruise"   

Have fun.

Edited by sail7seas

You probably won't have to attend the 2nd muster drill in San Diego.  However, because San Diego is a US port, CPB may require everyone to disembark the ship to reach a "zero count".   We have had to do that in Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale during a Collector's Cruise.   I guess CPB wants to have an accurate count on who is on the ship and who will be getting off 7 days later.

I've done a B2B out of San Diego only once.  I got off the ship and walked over to tour the Aircraft Carrier docked close by.  It was GREAT, and well worth the time. Boarding was easy, and we didn't have to wait with new passengers.

The last time I did a B2B in the Caribbean all of the in-transit passengers were required to disembark the ship and wait in the boarding lounge until all other passengers were off.  I think we were supposed to be off by 9:30 am, or something like that, but of course it didn't work that way. A lot of people had gotten off to take shore excursions; others came off the ship and settled down with me in the chairs of that second-floor boarding lounge to wait. However, it appeared that some people hadn't been too cooperative and had to be rustled out of bed, because maybe a dozen or so came down the passenger tube dressed in pajamas or other forms of sleeping attire (including bathrobes) and looking like they hadn't had time to do their morning "ablutions."  Once all those who were in-transit had been checked off the ship, they announced that we were free to board at our leisure.  I think it took about 45 minutes.  I spent the time checking emails on my phone.

1 hour ago, RevNeal said:

I've done a B2B out of San Diego only once.  I got off the ship and walked over to tour the Aircraft Carrier docked close by.  It was GREAT, and well worth the time. Boarding was easy, and we didn't have to wait with new passengers.

The last time I did a B2B in the Caribbean all of the in-transit passengers were required to disembark the ship and wait in the boarding lounge until all other passengers were off.  I think we were supposed to be off by 9:30 am, or something like that, but of course it didn't work that way. A lot of people had gotten off to take shore excursions; others came off the ship and settled down with me in the chairs of that second-floor boarding lounge to wait. However, it appeared that some people hadn't been too cooperative and had to be rustled out of bed, because maybe a dozen or so came down the passenger tube dressed in pajamas or other forms of sleeping attire (including bathrobes) and looking like they hadn't had time to do their morning "ablutions."  Once all those who were in-transit had been checked off the ship, they announced that we were free to board at our leisure.  I think it took about 45 minutes.  I spent the time checking emails on my phone.

That B2B you did in the Caribbean must have stopped at a US port (San Juan?) where you had to exit the ship for "Zero Count".  I think only US ports do this.  I have done many cruises in Europe which were B2B's or Collectors Cruises, and the midpoints were in Rome, Barcelona, and Athens.   We never were required to exit the ship at those ports, we could stay onboard or depart whenever we wanted.  We received a transit pass to bypass checkin on return.

The Caribbean cruise in question was a B2B East/West Caribbean aboard the Westerdam out of Fort Lauderdale ... so, yes, the port of embarkation and disembarkation was a US port.

I've also done B2B cruises in Europe -- Copenhagen and Rotterdam -- and on both occasions we didn't have to disembark the ship unless we wanted to in order to go on a shore excursion or (as was my case) to meet up with some friends who had come over from Amsterdam to see me.  Likewise, when I did a cruise from Hong Kong to Vancouver with a mid-point (end of one cruise, beginning of another) in Yokohama, Japan, we didn't have to disembark the ship ... except that we did in order to do a day-long tour.

5 hours ago, RevNeal said:

Glad to see another recommendation for the Carrier.  I went to their website and checked it out, discussed with my husband who agreed that might be a great way to spend a few hours and still stay close to the ship.  We don't often go off on our own (always too nervous we won't get back on time) so this is a perfect way to do something different without venturing too far.