FYI - Canadians on Celebrity!!

Packard

I have travelled a few times with Celebrity and love it. I used their cruise medical insurance which I added before FP. While on a cruise last year, I booked a Caribbean cruise for 2020. When I went to add their insurance last week, I was told they no longer offer insurance to Canadians!

First question - Why not?

Second question - Wouldn’t it have been a nice gesture for Celebrity to let their booked clients know this fact when they changed their policy? It’s not like they don’t send notices for other reasons. Just this week alone, I have had 8 emails trying to sell me more cruises and deals!!

I switched from another cruise line to Celebrity because they seemed to have much better customer service but now I’m not so sure I made the right choice!

• Like 2

Could someone give me an example what is covered by private insurance that is not covered by credit card insurance policies? One thing I'm aware of is that my Visa Aerogold insurance has cancellation coverage up to $1,000 CAD only. Is there anything else that I need private insurance for and my credit card insurance is not enough?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, If only said:

Canadians have never been able to buy Celebrity’s insurance.  Have you been going through a US travel agent?

No I use a CDN agent. I have been able to buy Celebrity insurance anytime.

19 minutes ago, Highpeaklad said:

Just get insurance from someone else. 

Obviously that is what I will do. My point was the lack of communication from Celebrity and to let other CDNs know that they too will have to look elsewhere for their insurance needs.

• Like 1

We have cancellation insurance through our credit card, but only $2500 cad pp. So far we haven't bothered to buy extra because it is so expensive that we feel it'[s not worth it.

Last year we took our son , dil and grandkids on a cruise and booked in US funds for them in order to avail ourselves of the Celebrity cancellation insurance which was MUCH cheaper than what we could buy separately in Canada.

Since we are over 65, we buy travel health insurance annually.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

We have cancellation insurance through our credit card, but only $2500 cad pp. So far we haven't bothered to buy extra because it is so expensive that we feel it'[s not worth it.

Last year we took our son , dil and grandkids on a cruise and booked in US funds for them in order to avail ourselves of the Celebrity cancellation insurance which was MUCH cheaper than what we could buy separately in Canada.

Since we are over 65, we buy travel health insurance annually.

Thanks for this informative post!

17 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

$2,500 is pretty good coverage. Which card is it?

Check out the tripinsurancestore.com -- Steve and the ladies do a great job of tailoring (and explaining) the best insurance package for your particular needs. CruiseCritic even hosted a Q&A session about travel insurance with Steve, not too long ago. We haven't touched that over-priced, under-whelming cruise-line insurance in YEARS!

I spoke with Celebrity yesterday about a March cruise.  The rep said insurance was available up to final payment date but because I am Canadian I had to deal directly with the company in Canada.

i already have very good travel insurance through TD so didn’t ask for details.  IMHO it’s less expensive to purchase a year long travel policy than add the cost to a cruise.

We once checked out the cruise ship insurance vs what we had usually bought thru our TA. It cost more and covered less. I think there are a few instances (usually elderly cruisers with health problems) where the ship's  insurance is cheaper for comparable , but that's about it. If you're looking for comprehensive coverage (cancellation /interruption /medical /evacuation) then it pays to use a broker like insuremytrip or squaremouth to compare apples with apples before buying insurance. We've had an annual policy quite a few years now.

We are NY residents..

Could not get Celeb Cruise Care for our current booking.. NY Law has changed.

Had to go through an ins company for the  basic Cruise care. WE

We cant blame X for the change

Pain in the neck esp b/c we also buy 3rd party enhanced  med and evac ins,.. 

Edited by hcat

We pay by credit card that covers insurance for 3500 pp cancellation, full accident and  full medical insurance. Because I am over 65, I am not covered by the credit card’s medical insurance but my company insurance pays for full coverage.

5 hours ago, Packard said:

No I use a CDN agent. I have been able to buy Celebrity insurance anytime.

Obviously that is what I will do. My point was the lack of communication from Celebrity and to let other CDNs know that they too will have to look elsewhere for their insurance needs.

What kind of insurance were you looking for, health or cancellation or both?  The reason I ask is because our final payment for an Oct cruise was end of June and we got Celebrity cancellation insurance then.  We book through a US company and we are over 65.  We buy our health insurance annually from a Cdn company.  When I was looking for the cancellation insurance I checked Insure my trip as many here have recommended them.  The price for cancellation insurance was out of sight.

I wonder if this is a new Celebrity policy?

10 hours ago, ak1004 said:

$2,500 is pretty good coverage. Which card is it?

There are several.  You can check them out. Examples are Royal Bank Preferred Visa, BMO mastercard world elite. I think TD has one also.

But someone here posted a card that insures for $3500 pp.

I'd like to know which one that is. Sounds better than the others.

7 hours ago, RickT said:

i already have very good travel insurance through TD so didn’t ask for details.  IMHO it’s less expensive to purchase a year long travel policy than add the cost to a cruise.

@RickTdo you buy an annual out-of-country medical insurance package directly from TD Canada Trust? 

You will not be covered by insurance purchased through any American operated cruise line. Sad that your Canadian travel agent didn’t know this!! That is a huge mistake on your TA’s part. My family used to blindly buy insurance through Disney Cruise line assuming we were covered, Until one time  an agent seemed to know this wasn’t valid for Canadians. Americans have no idea, so don’t blame Celebrity, they will blindly sell you insurance because they just dont know. 

fyi - as I am a former Canadian travel agent and sold US insurance to American clients, Canadian travel insurance is superior and covers way more, especially medical insurance. There are lots of options out there. I suggest Travel guard, they are very good and have great customer service. Avoid RBC insurance, they do their best to not cover any claims!

for travel health insurance, there are many brokers who represent  all (or most) of the big companies and they are good at finding a plan to fit your needs.

f

Edited by cantstopingcruising