Cruise Critic Community
jantoby

Where to buy salmon to take home?

My cruise visits Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway.  And we'll be in Fairbanks for a couple of days afterwards.

Where is the best place to buy salmon to bring home to England?

Costco if you're a member - otherwise whatever is the cheapest 'big box' store/supermarket you can get access to (with a stay in Fairbanks you're almost certainly starting your cruise in Vancouver - so check here too before cruising). Alaska salmon is Alaska salmon - only the species makes a difference, it's all caught in the wild, so unless you go on a fishing trip and catch your own so have some kind of emotional investment in having 'your' fish packaged for you, you may as well buy whatever is cheapest.

As a Brit, with Brexit driving Sterling rate down and the competing Scottish & EU country Atlantic Salmon industry back home you probably will save money buying Sockeye/King over here compared to just buying at home - usually it's Americans asking this and the sensible advice to them is to just shop in their *local* Costco instead of buying in Alaska! - but don't waste your time on Silver, Pink, or Chum salmon as these are comparable or inferior to Atlantic. Stick to the fattier (and thus tastier) Sockeye (often marketed as Red back in Blighty) and King (Chinook in Canada).

Canned or vacuum-packed are the practical ways to get it home without worrying about needing refrigeration over an extended period. If you want raw fish then your only remotely-practical possibility is buying frozen right before you leave for the airport and packing into a flight-approved box with appropriate cooling... then hoping for no flight delays that compromise your fish! If you're willing to pay for shipping, rather than actually bringing it yourself, you would be best-advised to simply shop online from home.

4 hours ago, jantoby said:

My cruise visits Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway.  And we'll be in Fairbanks for a couple of days afterwards.

Where is the best place to buy salmon to bring home to England?

There is not a shortage of Salmon in Alaska. You will find it everywhere you go. There’s a large store a few blocks from the ship in Ketchikan on your way to Creek St.

We have ordered salmon from Taku while in Juneau and had it shipped to our home.  Prices seemed to be pretty reasonable.

Thanks.  I just want to buy a few small packs - vacuum packed - that don't need keeping cool, to bring home as gifts.  

I looked on the Taku website.  Looks good.  I'll definitely have a look in Ketchikan, too.

Scottish and/or Norwegian salmon is as good if not far superior to the Alaskan offerings, and they are far cheaper than buying from tourist suppliers.

If you want to find gifts to bring back, then there are many other things you could get that would travel better and last longer.

How are things in Chigwell? I grew up in Woodford and have lived in the USA for over 21 years. I miss the old place!

Salmon season is just coming in.   I remember when we went to Alaska we chartered a boat and caught like 7 salmon.  Of course what beats shipping your catch home ( lots of pictures, then the boat captain sent to processing plant, and when we arrived at home a box on ice arrived, who knows if it was the fish we caught, LOL ).     

I agree with others after you factor in price of shipping not clear getting it there or online or at the big box like Costco when it is in season is more cost effective.     I do have a picture of the shipping box which you won't get buying from Costco.   I think this everytime I watch people buying from Pikes Market too, LOL

I was just about to post a separate topic on a very similar question: 

Which local producers make the best canned salmon? 

(and which stores did you buy them from?) 

I know I saw some really interesting variations of canned Alaskan salmon when surfing eons ago, but don't recall where now.

My daughter loves salmon. We stocked up at Salmon Etc in Ketchikan. They are a local business that has been serving the area for over 30 years. They were very helpful in making choices and the quality of the salmon was fantastic. I highly recommend them. 

http://www.salmonetc.com/

1 hour ago, karatemom2 said:

My daughter loves salmon. We stocked up at Salmon Etc in Ketchikan. They are a local business that has been serving the area for over 30 years. They were very helpful in making choices and the quality of the salmon was fantastic. I highly recommend them. 

http://www.salmonetc.com/

+1 on this place.  We stop there every time we visit AK.  We are now waiting for a case of salmon to arrive at our home.

DON

We bought some delicious canned salmon on the river boat in Fairbanks. If you’re doing the river boat, the sample it on the boat for you and give you the opportunity to buy it - what they don’t tell you is that if you wait until you get back to the store at the dock where you got on the river boat, it costs more.   We paid  $24.99 on the ship for three cans, it was $34.99 in the shop  🤨

On 7/27/2019 at 4:31 PM, Guindalf said:

Scottish and/or Norwegian salmon is as good if not far superior to the Alaskan offerings, and they are far cheaper than buying from tourist suppliers.

If you want to find gifts to bring back, then there are many other things you could get that would travel better and last longer.

How are things in Chigwell? I grew up in Woodford and have lived in the USA for over 21 years. I miss the old place!

If you were to come back to Woodford I don't think you'd find it very changed.  More cars, fewer parking places.  I moved down South from Lancashire way back in '82 and I still haven't got used to the coldness of travelling on the Tube.  Not physical.  But the way you can be in a packed carriage and nobody speaks. I find it quite hostile.  But I guess that's just one of those things.  

On 7/28/2019 at 7:31 PM, ErLee said:

We bought some delicious canned salmon on the river boat in Fairbanks. If you’re doing the river boat, the sample it on the boat for you and give you the opportunity to buy it - what they don’t tell you is that if you wait until you get back to the store at the dock where you got on the river boat, it costs more.   We paid  $24.99 on the ship for three cans, it was $34.99 in the shop  🤨

Thanks for the tip.  We're doing the Riverboat so I'll try to have a look in the shop before we board.  I guess the prices will be similar to those on the website.

Definitely Taku Store in Juneau right by the docks.  They sell shelf stable boxes