Cruise Critic Community
BeachChik

Harmony fridge or cooler in room?

We will be traveling on the harmony with two small kids. Our oldest has an oral issue and as such drinks protein shakes multiple times a day. I’m trying to decide if I will need to bring the prepackaged kind that don’t need to be refrigerated or if getting milk from the buffet and storing it in the fridge to mix with powder would be ok.

It will mean an extra suitcase if I have to bring the prepackaged ones to have enough for a week cruise so having milk in the room would be more convenient if the fridge keeps it cold enough. 

Do they get cold cold enough to keep milk from going bad if stored for a few days?

Best to request a medical refrigerator from special_needs@rccl.com.

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Best to request a medical refrigerator from special_needs@rccl.com.

If you can’t get one, keep a bucket of ice in the cooler to make it colder. 

Harmony's rooms have fridges.  Ours kept things very cold and we stored milk in there all week.  It was fine the entire time.  See the video below @ 2:57 for a typical fridge onboard:

1 hour ago, BeachChik said:

We will be traveling on the harmony with two small kids. Our oldest has an oral issue and as such drinks protein shakes multiple times a day. I’m trying to decide if I will need to bring the prepackaged kind that don’t need to be refrigerated or if getting milk from the buffet and storing it in the fridge to mix with powder would be ok.

It will mean an extra suitcase if I have to bring the prepackaged ones to have enough for a week cruise so having milk in the room would be more convenient if the fridge keeps it cold enough. 

Do they get cold cold enough to keep milk from going bad if stored for a few days?

Our refrig on Harmony was cold enough to have a layer of ice in one area.  We rotated water bottles up into that area since it was the coldest.  

On 7/21/2019 at 1:21 PM, reallyitsmema said:

Our refrig on Harmony was cold enough to have a layer of ice in one area.  We rotated water bottles up into that area since it was the coldest.  

Nice - have NEVER seen a fridge get that cold on any cruise line.  It does help to leave the cabinet door open, though.  Ventilation in those cabinets is pretty poor.

13 hours ago, LeeW said:

Nice - have NEVER seen a fridge get that cold on any cruise line.  It does help to leave the cabinet door open, though.  Ventilation in those cabinets is pretty poor.

Yes. Problem is these were never fridgerators. They are designed as coolers and were filled with things for sale like chips soda and candy just cool enough keep from melting. They took out items bit none are cold enough for meds and such. If prop open outer door to it temp can drop up to 5-6 degrees inside

My son kept chocolate milk in it just fine.

Also, keep in mind that you don't have to get all the milk on the first day for the whole week -- get a few each day and rotate them in use, so that each carton has only been in there a day or two at the most.  

They are "dorm cubes"...they get plenty cool enough for insulin, which nowadays, doesn't require much below room temps!  It will be fine.  If it's in a cabinet...put a towel over the cabinet

door...airflow helps cooling....

I was on the Serenade and needed to keep medicine very cold.  They gave me a portable micro fridge which could easily hold 2 milk cartons plus other things and it was perfect.  You should send in a request to Special needs.  Your cabin attendant can also get one for you.

Posted (edited)

If you have to use the fridge in the room... make sure to leave the cabinet door open so it has some ventilation, leave a note for the room attendant to keep it open too. 

But I would still contact Special Needs and get a medical fridge

Edited by LilBlackDress

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, cb at sea said:

They are "dorm cubes"...they get plenty cool enough for insulin, which nowadays, doesn't require much below room temps!  It will be fine.  If it's in a cabinet...put a towel over the cabinet

door...airflow helps cooling....

Disagree, would never assume they are cold enough for Med's. Some of Coolers stay set Degrees cooler then room, warmer the Room the warmer the Cooler. Over the Years have used Thermometer and have observed cool as upper 40's(rare) and high as 60s. Better if cabinet door open. As suggested already get with Special Needs for Medical Fridge. They wouldn't be offering them if Cooler was enough...

Edited by ONECRUISER