Ship Shuttle to EWR

mslaabs

I'm taking my first cruise from Port Liberty in November and I'm doing it solo so want to know what to expect before I encounter it.  These boards have been helpful in answering many questions, but I found little on how the ship's shuttle to the airport works.  First, I understand Uber/Lyft are great options, but I'm not comfortable doing those alone and prefer the (hopefully) ease of the ship's shuttle. I have a 12:30 United Airlines flight and here are my questions:

1. Disembarkation - is there a special group for Airport transfer people or do you disembark with the general mass?

2. Do I retrieve my luggage at the ship terminal and take it to the shuttle with me? Again, are bags kept in a separate group for retrieving?

3. Are there signs or crew members in the terminal to direct you to the shuttles? I would think "yes", but don't want to assume.

4. Does the shuttle drop you off directly at the terminal?  I've never been to EWR, but I've been reading that there is a tram stop of some sort that a lot of ride share places drop you off at and then you need to drag the luggage on the tram to the correct terminal.

5. This may have be answered in one of the above questions, but how am I reunited with my luggage at the airport?

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide.

It's sort of hard to answer without knowing what sort of arrangements you've made. Normally there aren't any shuttles running between the ship and airport but there are excursions the ship sells with a drop off at the airport-- is that what you were asking about? Usually these include a tour of NYC or a shopping excursion prior to airport drop off. Outside of these you would need to arrange for a taxi or Uber/Lyft. 

If you did book an excursion with an airport transfer you will be given a disembarkation time that lines up with the bus departure. Your luggage will be taken and delivered back to you at the airport. Usually the bus will drop you off at the terminal and you wont need to go to P4 which is the drop off area you are describing that connects to the AirTrain. 

I would definitely check your arrangements though-- there normally aren't any standalone shuttles that you don't have to prearrange either privately or through excursions with the cruise line (that usually involve a tour or shopping trip prior to airport dropoff). 

I know you are private car adverse, but it's by far the easiest and fastest way to get to the airport from the pier. It's also extremely safe. 

I think that the ship will be selling airport transfers at about $27-28 with no tour.  If you sign up for the airport transfer you should get a luggage tag number and would disembark at the announced time, claim your luggage in Customs, and roll it out to find the bus, which should be in the bus area in front of the terminal.  The bus should drop you off right at the terminal.

Having said all that, you should know that the Cape Liberty Taxi Dispatcher runs shared shuttles to EWR for $20.  They would drop off at the terminal.  This would be an option between a bus and a taxi or Uber/Lyft where you would be with other people.  It also gives you the flexibility to disembark and not have to wait for a bus full of people to show up.  When you exit customs there should be taxi dispatchers folks right there to direct you around the corner to the taxi dispatching area.

If you cannot manage your luggage, grab a porter in the customs area and tell him you want to go to the taxi dispatching area and tip him ( or her) accordingly.

I’m also a solo traveler and have sailed numerous times from Cape Liberty.  I use the taxi dispatcher to get a ride to the nearby light rail station and have never had an issue.

Edited by 138east
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both.  Yes, I was referring to the airport transfer through the ship at $27.  138East, thanks for the tip about the Taxi Dispatcher.  I will research that a bit more and may cancel my ship transfer in favor of the taxi dispatcher shuttle.

On 7/21/2019 at 4:34 PM, 138east said:

I think that the ship will be selling airport transfers at about $27-28 with no tour.  If you sign up for the airport transfer you should get a luggage tag number and would disembark at the announced time, claim your luggage in Customs, and roll it out to find the bus, which should be in the bus area in front of the terminal.  The bus should drop you off right at the terminal.

Having said all that, you should know that the Cape Liberty Taxi Dispatcher runs shared shuttles to EWR for $20.  They would drop off at the terminal.  This would be an option between a bus and a taxi or Uber/Lyft where you would be with other people.  It also gives you the flexibility to disembark and not have to wait for a bus full of people to show up.  When you exit customs there should be taxi dispatchers folks right there to direct you around the corner to the taxi dispatching area.

If you cannot manage your luggage, grab a porter in the customs area and tell him you want to go to the taxi dispatching area and tip him ( or her) accordingly.

I’m also a solo traveler and have sailed numerous times from Cape Liberty.  I use the taxi dispatcher to get a ride to the nearby light rail station and have never had an issue.

Thanks for sharing this great and useful info.