How do you even, RCI?!

I don't believe you can.  I think you have to cancel the entire reservation, lose the deposit, then create a new booking.  I tried this several months ago and you can't do it.  I have not been around the boards as much for the last few months so if something changed, I am not aware.

14 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

How do you change from a non-refundable deposit to a fully-refundable deposit? Made a mock booking, and cannot find a single way to change from NRD to FRD! 

Once the booking is made, you cannot change to refundable. 

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Once the booking is made, you cannot change to refundable. 

Unless it's within 24 hours in which case you can cancel and re-book.  A technicality, right, but still true. 🙂

1 minute ago, schmeed said:

Unless it's within 24 hours in which case you can cancel and re-book.  A technicality, right, but still true. 🙂

Right, the booking can be cancelled and a new booking created, but my point was that the booking itself could not be changed.

• Like 1

When the OP stated that they made a "Mock" booking I was assuming they had not yet paid a deposit.  But just trying out where they could select a refundable option.

dp

Edited by dpostman

2 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

How do you change from a non-refundable deposit to a fully-refundable deposit? Made a mock booking, and cannot find a single way to change from NRD to FRD! 

On a MOCK booking - keep going on the process and a page comes up if you want Refundable, tips added etc - check on refundable and continue to payment.  It is just before the click for payment and entering credit card info.

• Like 1

Can you still book a cruise and pay your deposit, but then change the date of the cruise? Or do you now lose the deposit if you change the date as well. You used to be able to change the date with no penalty. 

Just now, Smitty815 said:

Can you still book a cruise and pay your deposit, but then change the date of the cruise? Or do you now lose the deposit if you change the date as well. You used to be able to change the date with no penalty. 

If you book with a non-refundable deposit, then changing either ship or sailing date will incur a penalty.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

If you book with a non-refundable deposit, then changing either ship or sailing date will incur a penalty.

Oh okay thanks!! 

They changed the deposit policy since since my last cruise I guess! 

Im thinking of booking a cruise to the Caribbean again in May of 2021. 

Wouldn’t happen to know when they would release the cruise dates for then would you? The cruise I was looking st is currently only up until April 2021. 

2 hours ago, dpostman said:

AFIK, suites are NRD only.  For other stateroom bookings, Refundable is only accessible after you have entered all passenger info.

dp

Guarantee staterooms are also only non refundable

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Smitty815 said:

Oh okay thanks!! 

They changed the deposit policy since since my last cruise I guess! 

Im thinking of booking a cruise to the Caribbean again in May of 2021. 

Wouldn’t happen to know when they would release the cruise dates for then would you? The cruise I was looking st is currently only up until April 2021. 

Note that if you are booking under US/Canadian rules, you can still get a booking with a fully refundable deposit, as long as you are not booking a Grand SUuite or better, nor a guarantee category.

Those dates would normally open sometime between December 2019 and April 2020.

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Note that if you are booking under US/Canadian rules, you can still get a booking with a fully refundable deposit, as long as you are not booking a Grand SUuite or better, nor a guarantee category.

Those dates would normally open sometime between December 2019 and April 2020.

Thanks again!!

If you have a booking with a non-refundable deposit and find a better price refundable you could do the new booking and cancel the old one.  Penalty is $100pp, with the rest of the deposit coming back to each person as a future cruise credit.  That can take a few weeks to get, but folks here have reported that this can be applied to a cruise that is already booked.  So, if the new refundable saves you more than $100pp it is possible to cancel the refundable and book non-refundable.

As Bob said, this is not really changing from non-refundable to refundable - it is a new booking.  Not going to work if you are beyond final payment either since you won't be able to apply the future credit to the new booking.

This question may be OT but is somewhat related. If you cancel a cruise, is the deposit credit tied to each person or the person that paid the deposit? So if you cancel a cruise with 4 people and it never works out that one person can go on a future cruise is that deposit credit lost?

3 minutes ago, Espn said:

This question may be OT but is somewhat related. If you cancel a cruise, is the deposit credit tied to each person or the person that paid the deposit? So if you cancel a cruise with 4 people and it never works out that one person can go on a future cruise is that deposit credit lost?

Correct, the FCC (Future cruise credit) is tied to the passenger's names on the booking that was cancelled.

@Host Clarea

@Espn

@molly361

@dpostman

Sorry if I was unclear. I didn't make an actual booking, rather a MOCK booking. I was looking at an Oasis cruise for 2020, and could not find a single way to make it refundable. Only on a TA's website could I deselect "show nonrefundable fares", and see the price they offer, but not RCI. 

Edited by jbethel11
ambiguity
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

I was looking at an Oasis cruise for 2020, and could not find a single way to make it refundable.

Did you try that on the US site and went all the way to the just before payment (the refundable option is all the way at the end)?

Edited by Biker19

7 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

@Host Clarea

@Espn

@molly361

@dpostman

Sorry if I was unclear. I didn't make an actual booking, rather a MOCK booking. I was looking at an Oasis cruise for 2020, and could not find a single way to make it refundable. Only on a TA's website could I deselect "show nonrefundable fares", and see the price they offer, but not RCI. 

Just did a mock booking for the Oasis for August 1 2020 for an inside cabin. It was $2457.20 for nonrefundable and $2734.20 for refundable.  That was for 2 people.

20 hours ago, LeeW said:

So, if the new refundable saves you more than $100pp it is possible to cancel the refundable and book non-refundable.

Huh?

If you have a refundable, you do not lose $100.

16 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

@Host Clarea

@Espn

@molly361

@dpostman

You have to go through the full process including entering passenger info. The passenger info can be fake, but you have to enter something. The option to see refundable prices is at the last step, right before you give payment info.