Another Gala night dress question

LAgator

For Gala night.... I plan to wear the following as I do for business meetings, weddings, church, etc..

Black dress shoes

Nice, pressed dark dress Jean's

white starched shirt

black sports coat

Having said that, is this acceptable?  This is a very normal way to dress in today's time for many occasions.... 

So lets hear it-

From the FAQ:

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

19 minutes ago, LAgator said:

Having said that, is this acceptable?  This is a very normal way to dress in today's time for many occasions.... 

Why ask the question if you already know the answer?  Are you really willing to accept any other answer?

since u asked... because if you are under the age of mid 50's... everyone knows that a nice pair of dress jeans, black dress shoes and a black jacket is actually a much dressier look and sharper look than a pair of "khakis"..

Khakis on a more formal night are tacky..

Have you ever seen a cowboy at a wedding, funeral, formal event in a nice pair of starched Jeans, boots, white starched shirt and a jacket and a black cowboy hat???

Prob the sharpest dressed people in the room.

I asked because I wanted other input... carry on TAXman

2 minutes ago, LAgator said:

since u asked... because if you are under the age of mid 50's... everyone knows that a nice pair of dress jeans, black dress shoes and a black jacket is actually a much dressier look and sharper look than a pair of "khakis"..

Have you ever seen a cowboy at a wedding, funeral, formal event in a nice pair of starched Jeans, boots, white starched shirt and a jacket and a black cowboy hat???

Thank you for proving my point 😉

p.s. This is not my first rodeo...

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, LAgator said:

Having lived in many parts of the US and visiting many parts of the world, what is "very normal" in one place is out-of-place somewhere else even in the US. I think HAL is trying to set a consistent tone. 

Ok, I’ll dive in.

No jeans on Gala night.  A nice pair of dress pants or nice pants will more than do the trick.  I’m not a fan of khakis, but each to their own 😉 

If you need to save room for that one pair of pants, you don’t have to wear a sports jacket.  Just a nice collared shirt and a nice pair of pants. (So not hard to follow the minimum standard for the dress code).

In my part of the world, jeans (and yes I wear a very nice pair of black jeans on my plane flights in biz class) are not considered ‘dressy’.

of course, they work in the Lido or the Canaletto if you prefer that venue 😉 

2 hours ago, LAgator said:

For Gala night.... I plan to wear the following as I do for business meetings, weddings, church, etc..

Black dress shoes

white starched shirt

black sports coat

So lets hear it-

That sounds nicer than what I plan on wearing - nice blue jeans and a button down shirt for me.  I don't own dress pants or a sports coat.

6 minutes ago, xiphoid76 said:

That sounds nicer than what I plan on wearing - nice blue jeans and a button down shirt for me.  I don't own dress pants or a sports coat.

Have you got another plan if you are turned away from the MDR on formal night?

1 hour ago, LAgator said:

Yes, it is the LA style to show up at expensive restaurants in pressed jeans to show a certain nonchalance toward money and power. There was also pride in being an insider and ordering off the menu or having the chef stop at the table for small talk. It’s something picked up by younger crowds. 

Personally, I like code switching and going with different styles depending on the occasion. My husband will wear his jeans on hikes but dark slacks in the MDR and Pinnacle—maybe even his black golf pants disguised as dress slacks.

Different styles in different parts of the country and different opinions of what the sharpest dressed people in the room might be. Since it’s already a written rule, I’m not sure why you asked, unless you wanted to open a thoughtful discussion of the matter.

10 minutes ago, Rosmerta said:

Yes, it is the LA style to show up at expensive restaurants in pressed jeans to show a certain nonchalance toward money and power. There was also pride in being an insider and ordering off the menu or having the chef stop at the table for small talk. It’s something picked up by younger crowds. 

Personally, I like code switching and going with different styles depending on the occasion. My husband will wear his jeans on hikes but dark slacks in the MDR and Pinnacle—maybe even his black golf pants disguised as dress slacks.

Different styles in different parts of the country and different opinions of what the sharpest dressed people in the room might be. Since it’s already a written rule, I’m not sure why you asked, unless you wanted to open a thoughtful discussion of the matter.

Well... guess again.  The "LA" is for Louisiana.. 

Edited by LAgator
  • Like 1

Whether CA, LA, or somewhere in between, everything you need to know about the dress code is on HAL's website and in the Know Before You Go document.  If you're confused about something written there, Cruise Critic is a good place to get clarification.  In this case, the dress code is explicit.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Whether CA, LA, or somewhere in between, everything you need to know about the dress code is on HAL's website and in the Know Before You Go document.  If you're confused about something written there, Cruise Critic is a good place to get clarification.  In this case, the dress code is explicit.  

kind of like your OFFICIAL BOARDING time printed on your boarding pass...which is harshly enforced (sarcasm)

• Haha 1

Very funny. LA and LA.

I did see a young man in his thirties dressed in pressed jeans with a jacket in a Michelin 2-star, but in Belgium, not France. It really did give the LA insouciance impression I used to see growing up in LA.

Anyway, your LA. explains the boots and black cowboy hat to go with the jeans. That would be dressy in certain parts, indeed, with a silver decorated belt and an expensive bolero tie. Those are the accessories that show respect in a dressy setting rather than insouciance. Anyway, it’s not about over fifty or under fifty— but about showing respect.

What about New Orleans, though? For a wedding, what would one wear as opposed to Breaux Bridge?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LAgator said:

Black dress shoes

white starched shirt

black sports coat

So lets hear it-

It does not matter what one wears when one is at home.

If one is a traveler and not a tourist, one will try to blend in with the customs of the locale in which one is traveling.

In this case you are on a cruise ship of a line that clearly explains the expectation of dress. 

So be a traveler, or dress like the tourist you are because "this is the way I dress in my little corner of the world and nobody else can have any other standards." 

• Like 2

I am starting to think that I should take my funeral suit on every cruise. And, to fit in with other passengers, look censoriously at everyone else. After all, this is The Holland America Line and there are standards to maintain.

• Like 4