DOES HAL KEEP AN ASSORTNMENT OF CLOTHES FOR THOSE WHO LOOSE LUGGAGE?

victory2020

The reason I am asking is that I travel very light & throw away items of clothing that are worn out as I go. I am going to Europe & would like to bring nicer things that are still wearable if I can give to the ship for others to have access to if their luggage is lost. I remember hearing that ships have a stash of items for such uses. 

9 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

The reason I am asking is that I travel very light & throw away items of clothing that are worn out as I go. I am going to Europe & would like to bring nicer things that are still wearable if I can give to the ship for others to have access to if their luggage is lost. I remember hearing that ships have a stash of items for such uses. 

The answer is No. There is not a supply of "loaner" clothes stored on board for that purpose. HAL usually assists with loaner clothing from the shops under those circumstances until the pax is reunited with their lost luggage

• Like 1

Six years ago, our bags stayed behind in Berlin, missing our flight to Copenhagen (along with FIFTY other passengers’ luggage!!!).  We were without our luggage for 3 days.  HAL offered to let us borrow formal wear and other types of clothes.  While we had enough in our carry ons and also were able to shop for clothes at the on board store (the airline reimbursed us), it was nice to know this was available through HAL.

I do not know the current policy.

Happy Sailing!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

Good to know the current policy. Two years ago I asked on the Rotterdam and they accepted a bag of freshly laundered  slightly used pants and tops, along with a pair of shoes so I was planning to do the same thing on a cruise next month. On the other hand, I can see where this could get to be a storage problem quickly.

24 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

The answer is No. There is not a supply of "loaner" clothes stored on board for that purpose. HAL usually assists with loaner clothing from the shops under those circumstances until the pax is reunited with their lost luggage

PS> What do the shops do with the "loaner clothing from the shops" once the missing luggage shows up??

Edited by oceanmom

oceanmom,

Six years ago, on the Eurodam there was a walk in closet close to the front desk where the gently used clothing was stored.  They let us go in and see what we might need.  I’m not sure of the current policy.

11 minutes ago, oceanmom said:

Good to know the current policy. Two years ago I asked on the Rotterdam and they accepted a bag of freshly laundered  slightly used pants and tops, along with a pair of shoes so I was planning to do the same thing on a cruise next month. On the other hand, I can see where this could get to be a storage problem quickly.

PS> What do the shops do with the "loaner clothing from the shops" once the missing luggage shows up??

I was told by our Concierge on board one of our DAM ships 3 years ago, that they have a lost and found. If the lost clothing is not claimed (no idea on time frame) they donate the lost items to a Charitable Organization in another Country (not USA). I'm thinking 3rd World was mentioned...

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie
added word

We were told the same thing about clothes left on board.  They said if we left a note that they were donated they went into the loaner area for those with no luggage. If we didn't leave a note they had to go into the lost and found.  We left things that were still good but our size had changed and the clothes stayed the same.  I didn't know this had changed.  This was on the Rotterdam that we were told this but heard it was true for several of the smaller ships. 

Not that I doubt you Copper, I just didn't know it has changed. 

1 hour ago, oceanmom said:

Laundered and handed back to the shop manager

• Haha 1

A lady we met on a HAL cruise once never did get her luggage and she said that the clothes she was wearing were given to her by the ship.  They were not brand new but had come from a "stash" just for that purpose. I guess it just depends on the ship.

53 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

A lady we met on a HAL cruise once never did get her luggage and she said that the clothes she was wearing were given to her by the ship.  They were not brand new but had come from a "stash" just for that purpose. I guess it just depends on the ship.

I think you are right.  I asked as we had shoes and a couple of other things that were still in good condition but not coming home.  They were happily accepted.

Perhaps the ships keep them until they can be donated and in the meantime use them for passengers with lost luggage?  I do know on a different ship one of our roll call members’ luggage didn’t make it to the ship (lost on the flight) right away and they were lent clothes by the ship.