Day room in Papeete

Jancruz

I know I should know this but it has been a long time since I went to Tahiti..We need a day room and Oceania is extremely high..

I have emailed Sheraton and Intercontinental..does anyone have a great idea how to spend the last day when off the ship with luggage?? this is for a group of us and not many have mileage..

Thanks,

Jancruz1

Hi,  we stayed a few extra days but during that time we used Tahiti Eden Tours for a day trip around the island.   Fabrice is a wonderful young man.  We used him for all of our transportation.  At one point, he brought an extra van for the luggage.  I would not hesitate to contact him to see if he can accommodate you.  

There seem to be less and less day room availability.  You could also try the Sofitel - it used to be the Meridien.  

Jan,

This doesn't answer your question directly but just another option.

Our cruise there spent an overnight and as we had been to Papeete before we chose to leave the night before disembarkation after dinner rather than having to spend the entire next day trying to "waste" time till departure late at night.

This may not be an option for everyone but perhaps for some - especially those that have been to Papeete before and/or do not have to pay extra for flight deviation (or getting their own flights).

If all you want is a place to rest for a few hours before heading to the airport then you might want to look into the Hotel Sarah Nui. I wouldn't stay there overnight...it's bit of a dump and not really near anything but it was fine for having a place to put your feet up for a few hours after disembarking...and it's about the cheapest place in town. It was filled with disembarked Oceania passengers who were doing the same thing we were.

We took a taxi from the pier and arranged for the same driver to pick us up and take us to the airport.  He showed up as requested and I think it may have cost all of $20 or $25 from the hotel to the airport.

By the way there's no need to keep your luggage with you other than the necessities in your carry on bag. Oceania will transfer your luggage from the ship to the airport at no charge even if you don't have your hotel or air booked through them. When you get to the airport it will be in a holding area with all the other Oceania passengers' bags. Perhaps not the most secure arrangement in the world but Tahiti isn't a high crime place.

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

does anyone have a great idea how to spend the last day when off the ship with luggage??

Another option ... Luggage storage at the airport

IMG_2046.JPG

IMG_2048.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

Here's what we did after our 8 AM disembarkation in Tahiti about a year ago. Booked a room for that evening with early arrival at the Sofitel. Had an amazing day. Much better than the so-called day room, which was a banquet hall crowded with cranky travelers killing time until their flight home around midnight. Suggest you book through Starwood and ask for the "Retirement Rate." We paid $244.53 for a Garden Room last year. Pre-booked a 7 PM reservation at their up-scale Le Carre restaurant.

Read my review here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297572-d308289-r567986423-Tahiti_Ia_Ora_Beach_Resort_managed_by_Sofitel-Punaauia_Tahiti_Society_Islands.html

• Like 1

When we went on the Paul Gauguin we stayed the day at Hotel Tahiti Nui. Great downtown location with a nice pool. 

We actually walked from the pier but only had one bag each. We were there from around 10 AM to 8 PM and it was very reasonable with nice rooms. 

Airbnb. Stayed a a very nice couple's home- they picked us up right at the dock and brought us to the airport that nite (1000XPF extra).We sat by their pool and read from 9 am on until our room was ready at 1pm. All we really needed was just a shower.

For $56 a night- can't beat it!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3954269?bev_ref=&eal_exp=1539783672&eal_sig=2538f3b00eae8cf5a90927dd14d49e6af1e84a6200417dceb1a7e348da24e1a5&eal_uid=716899&euid=f45f0e19-b269-9807-886c-7bc81554a83b&photo=&user_id=&source_impression_id=p3_1563942670_ZYHTOJRjRd2gIYl3

The other option is Fare Suisse, very modest B&B in the hills above Papeete. Clean and comfy. About 80-110 EU.

http://fare-suisse.com/

I understand Intercontinental Tahiti is not longer doing day rooms, except last minute on availability.

The Manava Suites sometimes has overnight rooms available from $169-200.

Nancy

For about $100US, we booked a room at Fare Suisse. They picked us up at the ship, allowed us to check in immediately. 

We walked (10 min) into town for sightseeing, back to the hotel for a short nap, back into town for dinner at the Roulottes, back to the hotel for a shower and change of clothes. 

They drove us to the airport.

We weren't interested in a resort to sit by the pool or beach, so this worked very well for us. 

14 hours ago, Andee said:

back into town for dinner at the Roulottes

A bit dicey for me - the last place I want to be sick and spend the night in the bathroom is on any plane 😉

Glad it worked out for you.

2 hours ago, Andee said:

From the research I did, the Roulottes didn't seem dicey to me at all.

Andee, we too have visited the Roulottes three times, last in Dec 2018, and they were wonderful. No sickness either.

Going again next April, staying at Fare Suisse 2 nites (one night used as a dayroom) and everything was just perfect. No pool or resort-like atmosphere though. Just simple rooms and a nice view from the veranda. We have stayed there now several times and it's just right. Especially nice owners.

Jan, if you are at all interested in Fare Suisse and this is group of you, there are only ten rooms and you must book early to get one.

We went to the the meridien in 2017 it was a fantastic room nice swimming pool, beach loungers poolside restaurant was a bit pricey but was really good. Also 10 min walk from hotel was small shopping centre. Can't remember the price but wasn't too steep and cheaper than the intercontinental. 

Edited by panda62

6 hours ago, panda62 said:

We went to the the meridien in 2017 it was a fantastic room nice swimming pool, beach loungers poolside restaurant was a bit pricey but was really good. Also 10 min walk from hotel was small shopping centre. Can't remember the price but wasn't too steep and cheaper than the intercontinental. 

We've stayed at Le Meridien twice, post-cruise.  We liked it quite a lot, not sure if they do day rooms or not.  It's a bit further from the airport.  Yes, the shopping area nearby is very convenient.

Its no longer a Meridien so any association with Starwood etc is gone.  It is now the Sofitel.  Things have changed but you can certainly contact them to check.  We enjoyed our stay at the Sofitel.  It is a peaceful property.  

On the Riveria 10 day cruise in February last year. On departure Oceania offered a free option to store our bags for the day and deliver to the airport, pick up at 6:30 PM for our evening flight home (see picture I took of our disembarkment form.) We rented a car of the day with no worries about luggage. Luggage was delivered in a roped off area out front (not at the Luggage Storage Office). Worked out really well. for us.

Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 4.35.20 PM.png

On 7/23/2019 at 1:03 PM, Paulchili said:

Jan,

This doesn't answer your question directly but just another option.

Our cruise there spent an overnight and as we had been to Papeete before we chose to leave the night before disembarkation after dinner rather than having to spend the entire next day trying to "waste" time till departure late at night.

This may not be an option for everyone but perhaps for some - especially those that have been to Papeete before and/or do not have to pay extra for flight deviation (or getting their own flights).

This is exactly what my sister and I did when disembarking the Marina in Papeete.  We had packed up our luggage before dinner,  had a drink, enjoyed dinner, then our butler walked us off the ship directly to a taxi.  Only a three hour wait at the airport for our return flight to LA where we spent some time with some friends prior to coming home to FL.

Worked like a charm.   BUT DON'T FORGET:  you will have to pre-cruise arrange for early departure if you choose to do this.  Another NOTE: when boarding the plane, there is no jetway!  You walk onto the tarmac, then climb the stairs to board the plane so don't overload your carry-on!

Donna

Edited by GeorgesGal

2 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

This is exactly what my sister and I did when disembarking the Marina in Papeete.  We had packed up our luggage before dinner,  had a drink, enjoyed dinner, then our butler walked us off the ship directly to a taxi.  Only a three hour wait at the airport for our return flight to LA where we spent some time with some friends prior to coming home to FL.

Worked like a charm.   BUT DON'T FORGET:  you will have to pre-cruise arrange for early departure if you choose to do this.  Another NOTE: when boarding the plane, there is no jetway!  You walk onto the tarmac, then climb the stairs to board the plane so don't overload your carry-on!

Donna

We did this also, but it requires a Deviation, which I'm sure Jan has in her Loyalty status, but you do need an overnight there. 

20 hours ago, ORV said:

We did this also, but it requires a Deviation, which I'm sure Jan has in her Loyalty status, but you do need an overnight there. 

Not so!  We left the ship after dinner and flew to LA that night.  We did a deviation as we had plans in LA for a few days.  On leaving there, we Amtrak'd to Florida and home.  Worked like a charm!

We decided to do this because there was a scarcity of day rooms at the Papeete hotels when we booked.  All worked out quite well.

Donna