Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
klacey11

WiFi for two devices?

Recommended Posts

My husband and I are going on our first NCL cruise. We have the 250 minutes of WiFi from the free at sea promo, but we'd like unlimited WiFi. We'd likely being using the internet at the same time, so one package wouldn't work for us. 

 

I was thinking I'd purchase one internet package through my NCL portal at full pre-cruise price (i.e. cheaper than onboard), then once on board, activate the free 250 minutes and immediately upgrade that package to unlimited, thus now having two unlimited packages. Is there any reason this wouldn't work or any more cost-effective way to secure two unlimited WiFi packages?

 

I've heard mixed things about WiFi and when the ship is in port--if we stay on the ship while the ship is in port, will the WiFi still work on the ship?

 

Also, is the iConcierge app for communication still a thing? I couldn't find it in the App Store on my phone. Is there a different app to download for onboard the ship? I have the Norwegian Cruise Line app where I can favorite shows, it seems like i can book dining reservations in a few months, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, klacey11 said:

My husband and I are going on our first NCL cruise. We have the 250 minutes of WiFi from the free at sea promo, but we'd like unlimited WiFi. We'd likely being using the internet at the same time, so one package wouldn't work for us. 

 

I was thinking I'd purchase one internet package through my NCL portal at full pre-cruise price (i.e. cheaper than onboard), then once on board, activate the free 250 minutes and immediately upgrade that package to unlimited, thus now having two unlimited packages. Is there any reason this wouldn't work or any more cost-effective way to secure two unlimited WiFi packages?

 

I've heard mixed things about WiFi and when the ship is in port--if we stay on the ship while the ship is in port, will the WiFi still work on the ship?

 

Also, is the iConcierge app for communication still a thing? I couldn't find it in the App Store on my phone. Is there a different app to download for onboard the ship? I have the Norwegian Cruise Line app where I can favorite shows, it seems like i can book dining reservations in a few months, etc.

I cannot give you definitive answers, but I am not sure you can upgrade the free minutes to an unlimited package. We had the usual free minutes perk on our May Alaska cruise and I called to upgrade to unlimited.  NO DICE.  So I bought one unlimited package and my wife mostly stayed logged on with that, while I just used my free minutes occasionally on my device in the evening.  

 

Can't speak to the app.  We had the ncl app which let us check the daily schedule (that was occasionally handy) and I don't remember seeing any communication options, but I wasn't looking either.  I do not think "iconcierge" exists anymore.  We "used" it on a Norwegian Jewel cruise 2.5 years ago, and it was terrible.  Half the messages didn't go through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rmurray847 said:

I cannot give you definitive answers, but I am not sure you can upgrade the free minutes to an unlimited package. We had the usual free minutes perk on our May Alaska cruise and I called to upgrade to unlimited.  NO DICE.  So I bought one unlimited package and my wife mostly stayed logged on with that, while I just used my free minutes occasionally on my device in the evening.  

 

Can't speak to the app.  We had the ncl app which let us check the daily schedule (that was occasionally handy) and I don't remember seeing any communication options, but I wasn't looking either.  I do not think "iconcierge" exists anymore.  We "used" it on a Norwegian Jewel cruise 2.5 years ago, and it was terrible.  Half the messages didn't go through.

 

Oh no, really? I had thought I read on multiple threads that you could upgrade the 250 min perk to the unlimited once on board the ship (at the on-ship rate, which is more expensive than buying it through the app before the cruise)...

Edited by klacey11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have the promo 250mins. free, you can upgrade to the unlimited for, I think it's about $109 for 7 day cruise. This must be done ONBOARD, however, it can be done by logging into your account and choosing the upgrade option. If this is not available when you login, just go to the internet cafe and the IT agent will do it/or help you do it so you have the xtra mins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, klacey11 said:

My husband and I are going on our first NCL cruise. We have the 250 minutes of WiFi from the free at sea promo, but we'd like unlimited WiFi. We'd likely being using the internet at the same time, so one package wouldn't work for us. 

 

I was thinking I'd purchase one internet package through my NCL portal at full pre-cruise price (i.e. cheaper than onboard), then once on board, activate the free 250 minutes and immediately upgrade that package to unlimited, thus now having two unlimited packages. Is there any reason this wouldn't work or any more cost-effective way to secure two unlimited WiFi packages?

 

I've heard mixed things about WiFi and when the ship is in port--if we stay on the ship while the ship is in port, will the WiFi still work on the ship?

 

Also, is the iConcierge app for communication still a thing? I couldn't find it in the App Store on my phone. Is there a different app to download for onboard the ship? I have the Norwegian Cruise Line app where I can favorite shows, it seems like i can book dining reservations in a few months, etc.

 

It works fine BUT, make sure that you purchase the pre cruise package for passenger #2, because the 250 minutes are going to be assigned to passenger #1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, klacey11 said:

 

Oh no, really? I had thought I read on multiple threads that you could upgrade the 250 min perk to the unlimited once on board the ship (at the on-ship rate, which is more expensive than buying it through the app before the cruise)...

We have done the upgrade on 3 prior cruises.  They gave me$125 credit for the 250 minute promo but upgrade to unlimited must be done onboard.  One device, one person on the internet at a time though so two internet plans would work.  One upgraded onboard and the other purchased precruise and save 15%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The free App is called "Cruise Norwegian – Vacation, Plan & Connect" on Google Play Store for Android devices, replaced the iConcierge App ... same on iOS platform for iPhone & iPads.  

 

Calling & texting features are enabled and accessible once onboard, connected to & activated via ship's free WiFi inTRAnet, using no additional data - unless you connect to browse the web, check email or access external websites, etc.  Acess to NCL's website and/or MyNCL are free of data/charges on the ship, useful when you wish to do a mock booking for prices, etc. over the shared & cached URL's.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, klacey11 said:

 

Oh no, really? I had thought I read on multiple threads that you could upgrade the 250 min perk to the unlimited once on board the ship (at the on-ship rate, which is more expensive than buying it through the app before the cruise)...

Well, as others have said, it looks like you CAN do it once onboard.  Again, I had tried to in advance and was told "no."  And, of course, they didn't know enough to tell me I could do it onboard.  It wasn't a big deal for us in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the ultimate WiFi “sell out” ? I just called NCL and the lady said I had to buy the package onboard for the upgrade. But she also said sometimes it sells out! I’m on a thanksgiving week sail and we need WiFi for work all week. It’s selling At $206 online, would it be $230 ish onboard then? Wondering if I should just buy it now at $206? To be safe? 

 

Also ncl rep said the price for things like the bottle water package would be the same online and onboard? She also told me to wait until onboard to book spa pass?!? I know those sell out! Any ideas why she was so pushing to wAit until onboard? I said I wanted to buy now and have them charge my acct when we board but she said anything I buy on the phone today would need to be charged today? I’ve heard conflicting info on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried quoting everyone to thank but for some reason it's not working. Thank you so so much everyone for your help!! CC has been so much more helpful than my useless travel agent. I feel like some of my questions are so dumb, but cruising can be a little complicated to a first-timer! So I really appreciate all your assistance! I just purchased the unlimited package and assigned it to my husband, since I'm passenger #1. Thank you!!!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks - this was my question too. I had heard about the $125 onboard credit for upgrading. However, I called NCL and she said she can't confirm that NCL does this, and it is not in the "terms and conditions".   Glad to hear u can do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@goldy24

Here ... the newest name for the App has changed, it can be downloaded onboard free for free use to keep track of things, not directly related

 

NCL agents over the phone aren't best known for the best & consistently accurate info.cff3388f02906d130ebacc6ebabb4067.jpgd3bfcfbcb8047508b31a2b3ad262ee3e.jpgc70f3f703c41d91acbb576c394d5958c.jpg2e117ce79ca076ad1e5d65e312ca6dd3.jpg427ce1df4782b5888890c0b87c6f55fb.jpg

 

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

Edited by mking8288

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 8:50 PM, zqvol said:

 

It works fine BUT, make sure that you purchase the pre cruise package for passenger #2, because the 250 minutes are going to be assigned to passenger #1

I thought the 250 minutes could be shared  between devices?? I was just on the NCL site trying to decide btwn 250 and unlimited but was def going to share between two phones.  It's me and my 20 year old daughter....whose needs for wifi are greater than mine, though I'd like to be able to check email daily and the requisite few social media posts :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if the wifi purchase can be shared between two phones?  Leaving this Friday and trying to decide what to purchase.

thx!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@taximom00 - quick answer is yes (also see screenshot #1 in post 4 above) 

You can shared multiple devices on any of the WiFi/social media plan, registered & activated - but, one device only can be logged in at any given time.  The next log-in at the same time will get a prompt / alert - that someone else is signed on and will be dropped/bumped if you proceed.  

 

Being on a timed/metered plan by the minutes or MB (non-unlimited) - follow instructions, basic details above also, to logout after each use to stop the running meter, as 4 hours or 250 minutes will not last.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

@taximom00 - quick answer is yes (also see screenshot #1 in post 4 above) 

You can shared multiple devices on any of the WiFi/social media plan, registered & activated - but, one device only can be logged in at any given time.  The next log-in at the same time will get a prompt / alert - that someone else is signed on and will be dropped/bumped if you proceed.  

 

Being on a timed/metered plan by the minutes or MB (non-unlimited) - follow instructions, basic details above also, to logout after each use to stop the running meter, as 4 hours or 250 minutes will not last.  

Thanks! 20 year old pretty responsible so I'm sure she will remember to log out.  Just trying to decide unlimited vs 250.  Thoughts??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, taximom00 said:

Thanks! 20 year old pretty responsible so I'm sure she will remember to log out.  Just trying to decide unlimited vs 250.  Thoughts??

 

Then, she will be your tech geek to easily & quickly figure everything out - just show her the screenshots as a preview, and make a quick pitstop at the ship's iCafe to pickup the most "current" user guide/tip sheets. 

 

Assuming you don't have any OBC or the 250 minutes plan as part of the "Free" At Sea promotion - with 2 users, it's a tricky answer and most CC addicts here will say spend that $30 a day x 7 for the unlimited.

 

One option - save $30 by buying the plan on Day 2 ... thus, $30 x 6 = $180 and 2 of you can take turn on the unlimited plan, just no streaming (not always fast enough for it to work, depending on the ship & its whereabout at sea.)

 

Option 2 - buy ahead & prepaid online, there's a small saving - have access to and use it onboard, embarkation day - sailaway, dinner & all evening/night long if desired.  Either way, there are much to do onboard - enjoy what's on deck and not buried heads down into those devices (yes, I am just as guilty of the charges, myself ...)

 

Option 3 - stick with the 250 minutes plan & meter it with a bit of discipline.  You are going ashore & staying on the ship 24/7 - to keep busy and make use of land signals (WiFi aren't always easy to find/simple to use/too congested when 1,000 passengers & off-duty crew are all trying to do the same) when possible.  Download & read offline, reply & go online and send, sign out/off & disconnect, back to Airplane mode. 

 

Ship just sailed at 3 or 4 p.m. - don't need to be online for an hour on day 1, stay off and check-in online on Day 2 ... and so forth.  Divide up those 250 minutes & you get about 40 to 45 minutes per day to use on average - it might be good enough for 2 of you, maybe not.  

 

It's your money to spend, think wisely.  $125 for 250 minutes/limited plan or $180 for 6 days of unlimited use, an extra $55 more.  If you prepaid the 250, it's less but unlimited is for 7 days only if purchased in advance, with a small discount.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just something of note: there is the premium unlimited and the basic unlimited plan.  Premium allows streaming and basic doesn't.  My email provider is Comcast and it's considered a streaming service.  I couldn't access my email account on the ship computers because I just had the basic plan.  My reason for using the ship internet cafe was to print something out.  I could access my email on my iPad though.  Go figure.  What I had to do was email to my wife's gmail account and access the gmail account at the internet cafe so I could print.  Then trying to format and get all the pages to print was another story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 3:22 PM, klacey11 said:

My husband and I are going on our first NCL cruise. We have the 250 minutes of WiFi from the free at sea promo, but we'd like unlimited WiFi. We'd likely being using the internet at the same time, so one package wouldn't work for us. 

 

I was thinking I'd purchase one internet package through my NCL portal at full pre-cruise price (i.e. cheaper than onboard), then once on board, activate the free 250 minutes and immediately upgrade that package to unlimited, thus now having two unlimited packages. Is there any reason this wouldn't work or any more cost-effective way to secure two unlimited WiFi packages?

 

I've heard mixed things about WiFi and when the ship is in port--if we stay on the ship while the ship is in port, will the WiFi still work on the ship?

 

Also, is the iConcierge app for communication still a thing? I couldn't find it in the App Store on my phone. Is there a different app to download for onboard the ship? I have the Norwegian Cruise Line app where I can favorite shows, it seems like i can book dining reservations in a few months, etc.

 

On Escape last month they had a deal for buying unlimited for 2 devices that was less than twice the cost of the one device unlimited. I don’t remember the price though, or if you could apply the discount from the 250 minute promo to it. So not sure if it would be better than purchasing for one person ahead of time and another onboard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, taximom00 said:

I thought the 250 minutes could be shared  between devices?? I was just on the NCL site trying to decide btwn 250 and unlimited but was def going to share between two phones.  It's me and my 20 year old daughter....whose needs for wifi are greater than mine, though I'd like to be able to check email daily and the requisite few social media posts 🙂

 

As long as you share the user ID and password you can use it on multiple devices, but only one can be online at a time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 6:15 PM, mertziek said:

We have done the upgrade on 3 prior cruises.  They gave me$125 credit for the 250 minute promo but upgrade to unlimited must be done onboard.  One device, one person on the internet at a time though so two internet plans would work.  One upgraded onboard and the other purchased precruise and save 15%.

Hey,  it looks like you can purchase the unlimited upgrade or unlimited upgrade steaming package before you board now.  I was able to do it for the first time on 8/1/19.     This will aid it keeping your end of cruise charges down by pre-paying for this upgrade still receive the credit for the Free At Sea 250 minutes..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 11:04 AM, cruisewithbaby said:

Does the ultimate WiFi “sell out” ? I just called NCL and the lady said I had to buy the package onboard for the upgrade. But she also said sometimes it sells out! I’m on a thanksgiving week sail and we need WiFi for work all week. It’s selling At $206 online, would it be $230 ish onboard then? Wondering if I should just buy it now at $206? To be safe? 

 

Also ncl rep said the price for things like the bottle water package would be the same online and onboard? She also told me to wait until onboard to book spa pass?!? I know those sell out! Any ideas why she was so pushing to wAit until onboard? I said I wanted to buy now and have them charge my acct when we board but she said anything I buy on the phone today would need to be charged today? I’ve heard conflicting info on that.

We just got back from the Gem. I was able to upgrade for $55 to unlimited which you really need as the 250 minutes get sucked up waiting for things to load.  It was one device but able to share. Though by Wed we were both able to be on at the same time. Not sure why. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 11:04 AM, cruisewithbaby said:

Does the ultimate WiFi “sell out” ? I just called NCL and the lady said I had to buy the package onboard for the upgrade. But she also said sometimes it sells out! I’m on a thanksgiving week sail and we need WiFi for work all week. It’s selling At $206 online, would it be $230 ish onboard then? Wondering if I should just buy it now at $206? To be safe? 

 

Also ncl rep said the price for things like the bottle water package would be the same online and onboard? She also told me to wait until onboard to book spa pass?!? I know those sell out! Any ideas why she was so pushing to wAit until onboard? I said I wanted to buy now and have them charge my acct when we board but she said anything I buy on the phone today would need to be charged today? I’ve heard conflicting info on that.

There has been a big hiring push and a lot of new phone reps. Training is apparently not going well for the one you talked to. I have never heard of the internet upgrade selling out. There has been recent talk of it being offered before you board on some cruises.  There is a 20% discount for booking the spa before boarding. It does sometimes sell out. Water is the same price but unless you have onboard credit to use, it is just easier to pre-order. It will be in your cabin when you arrive.  They are correct that anything you pre-order is charged when ordered except meals and shore excursions booked by phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...