Cruise Critic Community
lpmom

Shore Excursions

I’m trying to find shore excursions that are reasonably priced for Portland and St, John that aren’t through RCCL. There are only two of us and everything I see is for more people. I’ve enquired on our roll call list but no response probably because only 30 people are signed up.  Can anyone help.

I guess it could be that the question is a bit broad-- if you're not going through the ship what are you looking to do? In Portland, do you want to go to Kennebunkport for the day? Or a tour of the city itself? Things like that might help. There are certainly private tour guides that you can hire in each place or alternatively you could rent a car and do some things on your own. Just hard to dive into it when we don't really know what you are trying to accomplish. 

Trolley tour or Ducks in Portland or google " mail boat tour, " which is actually a cruise on the mail run in Casco Bay. Lovely scenery. 

Most of the private tour companies that I’ve seen have a flat fee for at least a minimum of 4 people. There are only two of us so trying to find out how to hook up with other groups to make it more affordable. Interested in almost anything at each port just don’t want to pay the full group price for only two people 

Check out viator.com. You can book the duck your or mail boat for two with no problems.

Posted (edited)

My mom and I are doing a tour of Portland on a fire truck.  Check out portlandfiretours.com.  We are then going to eat lunch and then take a Lighthouse Tour through Portland Discovery Land & Sea Tours (portlanddiscovery.com).

In Saint John, NB (I assume that's where you are talking about) we are doing a tour on one of the city transit buses. Check out thinktransit.com.  It's only a 2 hour tour, but we're going to play the rest of the day by ear and just see what we can find to do.

As someone else mentioned, Trip Advisor is a great resource for finding tours such as this.  It is actually where I found these tours.  No they aren't private, but they are also not a cruise ship excursion so they are much smaller.

Edited by olemissreb

I would recommend Acadia National Park Tours.  Very reasonably priced and a wonderful tour!

On 7/23/2019 at 5:18 PM, princeton123211 said:

I guess it could be that the question is a bit broad-- if you're not going through the ship what are you looking to do? In Portland, do you want to go to Kennebunkport for the day? Or a tour of the city itself? Things like that might help. There are certainly private tour guides that you can hire in each place or alternatively you could rent a car and do some things on your own. Just hard to dive into it when we don't really know what you are trying to accomplish. 

I've been to Portland a couple of times.  We went on Lucky Catch and learned about lobsters, then bought one, took it next door and they cooked it for us.  When family members go to Portland, this is a must.  So fun.  We also went on fire truck city tour one time.  It was nice.  both are about 3 hours, so plenty of time to find other good places to eat, shop, or wander.  It's a lovely town and looking forward to being back. 

On 7/23/2019 at 3:44 PM, lpmom said:

I’m trying to find shore excursions that are reasonably priced for Portland and St, John that aren’t through RCCL. There are only two of us and everything I see is for more people. I’ve enquired on our roll call list but no response probably because only 30 people are signed up.  Can anyone help.

what sailing are you on? the roll call here on cruise critic or Facebook group for your specific sailing might be more helpful

We are sailing on the Sept 5th rccl cruise out of Baltimore. Posted on the meet and mingle roll call but no response