Waterworks area - do kids need water shoes?

BandBWCsmom

The immediate waterworks area is not too bad, but in addition to some areas being slippery, a lot of the flooring around the pool and the WaterWorks area is VERY hot and feet can get burned very quickly. I wouldn't let my 10 year old grandson cruise with us last month til he got a new pair of water shoes (outgrew the last pair!). It was a lifesaver!

The pool deck gets so hot I can't walk 5 paces from the pool to my chair where my flip flops were without hopping! It was brutal!

The most slippery place onboard that I've noticed is the Lido Buffet area- people are forever slipping, even with shoes on! My grandson was disappointed because his water shoes kept him from slipping- he thought it would be fun!

• Like 1

When I tell you the wooden decks on the lido scald your feet, I am not lying. You will literally hop around and look like a fool, desperately seeking shaded areas so the skin on your feet don't burn to ashes. On RCI, while waiting in line for the slides, a pool attendant was nice enough to throw water on the stairs, so we wouldn't have to endure the pain. While going down the slides, however, you must take the water shoes off, and hold them to your chest. 

Definitely no need for water shoes in water works or going to the slides.  Pool deck is hot outside of water works but keeping your shoes by your chair should be fine.  I had my 4 and 6 year old kids and total non issue. You wouldn't want shoes in the actual water works area. 

I would recommend a pair of flip flops to keep close by. I didn't see anyone have issues in the water works area itself but I saw several people (children and adults alike) slip when going to the slides. One poor little girl fell backwards and hit her head. And I agree that at certain times the deck will be very hot. Both my son and I were very uncomfortable walking to the slides with our bare feet. We started wearing flip flops and carrying them down the slides with us. Water shoes would be harder to get on and off for the slides.

My 6 and 8 yr. old grands never said anything about anything being hot, it was the end of May and they went on the  big slides. Used nothing in waterworks area either. They did have on flip flops while walking to the area. It may depend on the time of year too.