Onboard account for 12 year old?

I will be sailing with my dd age 12 in a few weeks.  Is there a way to give her a limited amount of spending money to use on the ship?  Can I use cash to set up her own on board account?  Any suggestions are appreciated.

So probably a silly question, but the on board credit will just be linked to her card - not separate certificate or gift card that she would have to have with her?  Also, if she doesn't use it all, can it be applied to her DSC?  Thanks again.

We simply gave our son, at age 11, the same charging privileges we had. I think he bought some gelato a couple times. He knows to ask before he makes purchases. I'd assume a 12 year old can be responsible to do this.

15 hours ago, LivLove2Cruise said:

I  am also traveling with a 12 year old in a couple of weeks. We decided to give her access to use our account. She is quite responsible but we will still establish a daily max, set expectations and monitor her spending.

This. There is no reason to do anything special or funky.

On 7/24/2019 at 8:04 AM, 2kruzers said:

So probably a silly question, but the on board credit will just be linked to her card - not separate certificate or gift card that she would have to have with her?  Also, if she doesn't use it all, can it be applied to her DSC?  Thanks again.

Yes, they would be linked to her key card.  If purchased, the OBC can be applied to tips, the DSC (if somehow not prepaid), or refunded.   Remember, we can monitor all charges on all cabin members cards real time throughout the day on the in room monitors.

On 7/24/2019 at 11:18 AM, LrgPizza said:

We simply gave our son, at age 11, the same charging privileges we had. I think he bought some gelato a couple times. He knows to ask before he makes purchases. I'd assume a 12 year old can be responsible to do this.

Yes, all 12 year olds are definitely the same and all of them should definitely be reliable, and also able to comprehend all the possibilities of the myriad ways you can spend money onboard, without making any mistakes. Otherwise the parents clearly failed in some way.

Sheesh. 

23 minutes ago, perditax said:

Yes, all 12 year olds are definitely the same and all of them should definitely be reliable, and also able to comprehend all the possibilities of the myriad ways you can spend money onboard, without making any mistakes. Otherwise the parents clearly failed in some way.

Sheesh. 

No, they aren't the same, but they all have the capability to be taught and to learn. You went way overboard placing blame here, which was not implied in my message you quoted. I see where your head is though. Meow.

38 minutes ago, perditax said:

Sheesh. 

It’s a good way to teach them. Here is your spending budget, go over and you pay us back, plus lose charging privileges. None of my kids have even gone over budget, they know I’m checking account, and know I’m serious about getting paid back.

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

It’s a good way to teach them. Here is your spending budget, go over and you pay us back, plus lose charging privileges. None of my kids have even gone over budget, they know I’m checking account, and know I’m serious about getting paid back.

Exactly. It's not rocket science. I love that I get chewed out for suggesting it. LOL!