Jump to content

what would you have done?


cthrn27
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Doggielover68 said:

Yeah. Because second hand smoke, lung cancer, asthma, allergies and other respiratory problems aren't real. 🙄 Give me a break. 

 

Cigarette smoke makes me physically ill. I literally can not breathe when it is nearby. 

Sucks to be you then. Thats not my problem. Sorry to sound so harsh, but life goes on. 

 

My suggestion to you is, STAY HOME, if cigarette smoke makes you sick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

Sucks to be you then. Thats not my problem. Sorry to sound so harsh, but life goes on. 

 

My suggestion to you is, STAY HOME, if cigarette smoke makes you sick. 

Not my problem you are addicted to nicotine, Sorry to sound harsh, but life goes on.

 

My suggestion to you is, STAY HOME, if you can’t curb your addiction.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Sucks to be you then. Thats not my problem. Sorry to sound so harsh, but life goes on. 

 

My suggestion to you is, STAY HOME, if cigarette smoke makes you sick. 

My DW has the same problem and our solution is to avoid authorized smoking areas. We shouldn't encounter smoke anywhere else.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

 

Princess put in place their new smoking policy/balcony ban January 2012. Six years after the Star Princess fire. 

Holland America January 2017.

 

 

🔥

 

OK, thanks for the information. I thought Princess did it much closer after the Star Princess fire, but I guess I was wrong. Time sure has a way of compressing as you get older. <grin>

 

I guess I was right though about Holland America holding out. I do remember many cruisecritic posts about not wanting a balcony on Holland America if they were going to still allow smoking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

My DW has the same problem and our solution is to avoid authorized smoking areas. We shouldn't encounter smoke anywhere else.

And that's the wonderful thing about banning smoking except in designated areas. But that only works if the smoke can be detained in those areas. How many posts have you read where people complain about the smoke escaping from the casino?

 

My worst experience with second hand smoke was on an airplane from NY to San Francisco before smoking was banned on airlines. We were in the first row of the non-smoking section. The people directly in front of us were actually not smoking; what they were doing the entire flight was just holding their lit cigarettes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And that's the wonderful thing about banning smoking except in designated areas. But that only works if the smoke can be detained in those areas. How many posts have you read where people complain about the smoke escaping from the casino?

 

My worst experience with second hand smoke was on an airplane from NY to San Francisco before smoking was banned on airlines. We were in the first row of the non-smoking section. The people directly in front of us were actually not smoking; what they were doing the entire flight was just holding their lit cigarettes.

Having a nonsmoking section of a restaurant is like having a nonpeeing section in a pool.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Sucks to be you then. Thats not my problem. Sorry to sound so harsh, but life goes on. 

 

My suggestion to you is, STAY HOME, if cigarette smoke makes you sick. 

What wonderful advice. Or maybe perhaps people who choose to bring their cancer sticks can keep them in the designated smoking areas, hmm? 

 

I will not be staying home. I can easily avoid the smoking areas. The rule breakers can stay home.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Having a nonsmoking section of a restaurant is like having a nonpeeing section in a pool.

That is why I don't get into public pools. However it is easier for them to enforce the no smoking in a restaurant than no peeing in the pool. I don't care what people want to smoke, but the pay their money to take a cruise knowing that smoking is not allowed in their room, and if they don't want to confine their intake of polluted air to the places allowed then why are they taking a cruise. If you don't want others to complain about you fouling their air then take up a recreation that does not also interfere with others air....you can chew it, eat it, drink it or inject it in the privacy of your room and it does not intrude into my air space then go for it and I won't say a word...but if I have to smell it or breath it outside of the designated spaces I will say something. I pay the same as you for my cruise with the expectation I won't have to smell or breath what you are smoking. 

Edited by TEXSUN46
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had cabin neighbors smoking cigarettes of all kinds and vaping who knows what on their balcony, and gently asked them if they knew they could get fined for that infraction.

 

Most dis-continued their balcony smokes after that. The few that didn't were reported to GS.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And that's the wonderful thing about banning smoking except in designated areas. But that only works if the smoke can be detained in those areas. How many posts have you read where people complain about the smoke escaping from the casino?

 

My worst experience with second hand smoke was on an airplane from NY to San Francisco before smoking was banned on airlines. We were in the first row of the non-smoking section. The people directly in front of us were actually not smoking; what they were doing the entire flight was just holding their lit cigarettes.

Yep, and we avoid those areas too (for example we won't have pictures taken if any of the photo stations are near the casino). We made the mistake once of playing trivia in an area near the casino and before the cruise was over DW had to use her nebulizer and almost had to go to medical. Lesson learned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't have a problem with weed but do have a huge issue with smoking it on a cruise ship.  I don't want to smell it and I don't want the cruise ship burned down.  Join the modern day and get a vape with THC juice.  You won't be bothering or killing anyone and your chance of getting arrested is dramatically lower.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

My DW has the same problem and our solution is to avoid authorized smoking areas. We shouldn't encounter smoke anywhere else.

 

Yup, this is me, too.  I eventually get sick smelling smoke.  At home, I'll avoid doing things with people who smoke.  On the cruise ships, I'll either quickly hurry through the casino area or try to go around, and definitely avoid smoking areas.

 

In the situation the OP posted, I'd very likely ignore it for a time or 2- figuring everyone's on vacation, I can leave my cabin.  But, if it went on, I'd eventually choose to say something in hopes of ending it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread was started by the op to discuss passengers smoking weed in state rooms.... But the anti smoking crowd couldn't help but to change gears.....

You anti smokers crack me up, you will step over heroin addicts and say bless their hearts....but a cig smoker hang em!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, midcarolina said:

This thread was started by the op to discuss passengers smoking weed in state rooms.... But the anti smoking crowd couldn't help but to change gears.....

You anti smokers crack me up, you will step over heroin addicts and say bless their hearts....but a cig smoker hang em!

I don’t want to hang you.  I just don’t want to smell your second hand smoke.

 

I really don’t give a hoot what you do.  Just don’t infringe on my right to breath.

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

 

Right on, snitches get stitches. 🙄 Isn't the smoke buddy the smokeless ashtray the dad invented in the movie, Gremlins? Or was that before your time?

No not close to the same thing....look up on you tube if interested....put it like this, I'm old enough that I was the designated TV antenna adjuster when I was a kid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TEXSUN46 said:

That is why I don't get into public pools.

 

 

You seriously have never been in a pool? I know my wife prefers ools, yes pools without the P. However, public or private people pee in pools. Nothing a ton of chlorine won't kill. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, coevan said:

 

 

You seriously have never been in a pool? I know my wife prefers ools, yes pools without the P. However, public or private people pee in pools. Nothing a ton of chlorine won't kill. 

Swim up bar are probably the worst.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, midcarolina said:

This thread was started by the op to discuss passengers smoking weed in state rooms.... But the anti smoking crowd couldn't help but to change gears.....

You anti smokers crack me up, you will step over heroin addicts and say bless their hearts....but a cig smoker hang em!

As an anti smoker, allow me to rise up and say that I'm opposed to all smoking, drugs (illegal drugs and prescribed drug abuse), and belligerent drunks. 

 

However, second hand smoke causes cancer. This is a known fact. Cigarettes killed 3 of my grandparents at a young age. Their final years were incredibly unpleasant. I grew up in a house where my mother's boyfriend chain smoked in our house. I was constantly sick with respiratory infections and asthma. Now that I am grown and live on my own, I no longer have these problems at all unless I am subjected to being near cigarette smoke. The reaction is much more severe than it used to be since I have grown accustomed to breathing in clean air for many years now. 

 

Therefore, why should I be okay with someone lighting up a cigarette anywhere they please like they own the damn air? Designated smoking areas are there for a reason, for safety and to contain the smoke in a smaller area. 

 

Smoking is a completely voluntary (and vile) habit. You can quit smoking if you want to. You can follow rules too. But I can't stop breathing air. And it's also not fair to expect non smokers to "stay home" because you choose to fill the air with your toxic garbage. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had this happen on back 2 back cruises we took. It started out the first night and second day with cigarette smoke and the cabin steward actually quietly asked us about it as well as the passengers in the other balcony cabin on the other side of the “smoking cabin”. By the fourth day it had progressed into them smoking weed. When we got back on the ship from our excursion on the 5th day that cabin was empty. I was glad CCL took it so seriously and did something about it. My main concern was the fire hazard though the smell was so strong we couldn’t even sit on our balconies. This included the other cabin on the other side of the “smokers” and the cabins right below. 🤦🏼‍♀️

 

Edited by gamecockinnc
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, gamecockinnc said:

We had this happen on back 2 back cruises we took. It started out the first night and second day with cigarette smoke and the cabin steward actually quietly asked us about it as well as the passengers in the other balcony cabin on the other side of the “smoking cabin”. By the fourth day it had progressed into them smoking weed. When we got back on the ship from our excursion on the 5th day that cabin was empty. I was glad CCL took it so seriously and did something about it. My main concern was the fire hazard though the smell was so strong we couldn’t even sit on our balconies. This included the other cabin on the other side of the “smokers” and the cabins right below. 🤦🏼‍♀️

 

The first report should fix the problem.  Second report should come with a demand for a refund equal to the cost difference between a balcony and inside room.  No reason to pay for a balcony you can’t use. Cruise line can bill the smokers for the cost of the refund.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ed you are right......we we’re on the first week of the back to back luckily port intensive cruise so off the ship a lot.

A few days in people were gathering in the halls complaining.

The pot is what really sent me over. Not to mention these occupants were so trashed, partying and loudly fighting that a fire hazard was a real possibility.

I did use my little platinum priority customer service number and complain finally though security had been saying close to that cabin for a few days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, gamecockinnc said:

Ed you are right......we we’re on the first week of the back to back luckily port intensive cruise so off the ship a lot.

A few days in people were gathering in the halls complaining.

The pot is what really sent me over. Not to mention these occupants were so trashed, partying and loudly fighting that a fire hazard was a real possibility.

I did use my little platinum priority customer service number and complain finally though security had been saying close to that cabin for a few days.

You are not actually going to get a refund.  (maybe a small amount of obc) But by putting it in those terms, it lets gs know you are serious about expecting a very quick resolution to the problem. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com Jan '22
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: AmaWaterways - Journey Through Europe
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...