What Ports do you just stay on the ship

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And I've had similar experience seeing the Mona Lisa at the Louvre in Paris. That is one of the unfortunate things when trying to see something very popular.

But, I would not cross off Paris, France as a place to visit.

The Rosetta Stone at the British Museum.

1 hour ago, Extra Kim said:

I find it kind of strange how people feel the need to convince me that I must like Italy, but not Jamaica. 

I'm not trying to convince you to like Italy. I'm trying to convince you that you shouldn't say you don't like Italy but rather that you don't like the places you have been in Italy.

It would be a bit like saying that you do not like the Caribbean and never want to go back just because you did not like Jamaica. Do you not see what I'm saying? 

Or perhaps Sweden is of such a sameness throughout the entire country that if you do not like one or two tiny parts of it, you would not like the whole?

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 9:19 AM, DarrenM said:

You have lectures on holiday?

I never turned up for lectures when I was at college.

I know. What could have been.

Huh, I found that the pool tables at the student center were generally unused about the same time as morning lectures.    

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm not trying to convince you to like Italy. I'm trying to convince you that you shouldn't say you don't like Italy but rather that you don't like the places you have been in Italy.

It would be a bit like saying that you do not like the Caribbean and never want to go back just because you did not like Jamaica. Do you not see what I'm saying? 

Or perhaps Sweden is of such a sameness throughout the entire country that if you do not like one or two tiny parts of it, you would not like the whole?

Kind of funny.  I would prefer to avoid cruises to the Caribbean in general.  I did not like Jamaica outside of Dunn River Falls. I do not prefer mega ship days, sun, beaches, and crowds.  All things kind of associated with Caribbean cruises in my mind.   I have been on one or maybe two Caribbean cruises and can honestly say I'm OK writing the whole place off.   Italy on the other hand is a place I would always look forward to visiting.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

I have, if you read the thread you will find them. Still, the feeling have been the same in all of them. That's my biggest issue with Italy, I don't like the feeling. It doesn't matter how much I have seen, I have no desire to go back. I have a lot of other places that I WANT to see and I will choose to go to these before I spend time and money on going to Italy. 

I get that you like Italy, I don't and nothing you say is going to change that.

I actually understand what your are saying. A few years ago I did a trip around south France and while the sights were nice, the scenery was pretty and the food was lovely overall I just didn't enjoy the vibe of the area the way I did when travelling through Spain and Portugal. People always think I must be out of my mind when I say I wasn't that into France. They always say oh you must have done it wrong or you didn't see enough blah blah blah... Maybe one day I will return to explore other regions of France but I'm in no hurry since there are other places on my list I would rather visit.

• Like 1

Some will get it, some don't.

It's the same with cruises, some like the mega ships, some like the 700 passanger ships, some dream of Europe and some would never cruise in Europe.

If I could pick any free 14nts cruise, it wouldn't be in Europe.. Europe would be low on my bucket list for cruises, some would have Europe on their number one spot.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think this is what Kim is saying but reverse Jamica and Italy in the discussion.

Lots of people say that they don't want to go to Jamaica again but have they really seen everything on Jamaica?

Kim say that he doesn't need to go back to Italy again.

People may say that Italy is bigger so it's more to see there but the question still is why is it okay to say in about Jamaica but not about Italy?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

Some will get it, some don't.

It's the same with cruises, some like the mega ships, some like the 700 passanger ships, some dream of Europe and some would never cruise in Europe.

If I could pick any free 14nts cruise, it wouldn't be in Europe.. Europe would be low on my bucket list for cruises, some would have Europe on their number one spot.

I get it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I think this is what Kim is saying but reverse Jamica and Italy in the discussion.

Lots of people say that they don't want to go to Jamaica again but have they really seen everything on Jamaica?

Kim say that he doesn't need to go back to Italy again.

People may say that Italy is bigger so it's more to see there but the question still is why is it okay to say in about Jamaica but not about Italy?

As much as someone said earlier that it’s not a Grass is Greener thing, it’s definitely a Grass is Greener thing (people don’t appreciate what they have easy access to for something they have to go far out of their way to see)

26 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

As much as someone said earlier that it’s not a Grass is Greener thing, it’s definitely a Grass is Greener thing (people don’t appreciate what they have easy access to for something they have to go far out of their way to see)

That, and the fact that something that's different to what you are used to will imo add to the wow factor. 

In my hometown we have a lot of fantastic old buildings, but since I have seen them maybe 5000 times I will just pass them without giving them a second thought. Sometimes when I pay attention to them I can be fascinated over their beauty. 

On my first cruise in the Med I meet a family from Hawaii, they asked what I was looking for during a vaccation. I said mostly beaches, their reaction was "-We couldn't care less about beaches, we have that at home.."

Edited by Extra Kim
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

But it's not that easy. I should defenitely get off the boat in Valetta, Visby or anywhere in Iceland even if they aren't far away. Nassau is far away from here but I should still probably stay on the ship.

I agree some about the grass is greener thought but it's not that easy.

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

Kind of funny.  I would prefer to avoid cruises to the Caribbean in general.  I did not like Jamaica outside of Dunn River Falls. I do not prefer mega ship days, sun, beaches, and crowds.  All things kind of associated with Caribbean cruises in my mind.   I have been on one or maybe two Caribbean cruises and can honestly say I'm OK writing the whole place off.   Italy on the other hand is a place I would always look forward to visiting.   

I'm 100% with you on this.  Every bit of it is unappealing.  Probably more than any place I've been.  And I've hit six continents so far.  And yes re the bg ships, crowds, sun, etc.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

I'm sorry to tell you this but mega ships, sun, beaches and crowds can be found in Italy too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I'm sorry to tell you this but mega ships, sun, beaches and crowds can be found in Italy too. 

Oh, I agree totally.  But Italy and other European ports have other things that are a draw for me.   Just a different vibe I guess.  

Anyway, I don't mean to be critical of anyone who likes the Caribbean itineraries and I hope no one took it that way.   It is just a place that isn't inviting to me.  To be fair, we have done several family group cruises to the Mexican Riviera in the past.  I guess the atmosphere there is similar to the Caribbean (without the crystal clear waters).   Those were more about the family gathering than the cruise ports (and, I have to admit cold Dos Equis is pretty good).   If the family group decided on a Caribbean itinerary, I would definitely go.  Otherwise, it is just not a place Mrs Ldubs or I would have on our list of places to visit.   

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

But Italy and other European ports have other things that are a draw for me.

Ditto!

And I can spend weeks in Rio and not even get a "flip-flop tan." )

Being from Australia, and having a partner whom does not fly our options are limited for cruising...

So we are now about to take our 8th cruise of 13 nights to New Zealand....

Yes some ports we only get off for a couple hours to walk around.... but also we have time to stop and small the roses...

If one misses something you can do it next time... also is weather is really bad... you can stay on board...

It is just great to be cruising

Cheers Don

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused by some of the responses, especially to Kim. What difference does it make to any of you whether a person does not want to visit any country or area? That's their right, their choice and opinion. If you don't like it or don't agree with it, just ignore it. Nobody asked for, or needs, you to judge them. The OP asked a question and they answered, period. Some people can't seem to allow a poster to answer without picking their choice apart.  

Kim, I don't care if you don't ever want to go back to Italy, it's not high on my list either and I've not been there. I would like to visit Sweden someday.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Pyrate13 said:

I'm a bit confused by some of the responses, especially to Kim. What difference does it make to any of you whether a person does not want to visit any country or area? That's their right, their choice and opinion. If you don't like it or don't agree with it, just ignore it. Nobody asked for, or needs, you to judge them. The OP asked a question and they answered, period. Some people can't seem to allow a poster to answer without picking their choice apart.  

Kim, I don't care if you don't ever want to go back to Italy, it's not high on my list either and I've not been there. I would like to visit Sweden someday.

I agree. I've been to just Stockholm, so there's a lot of Sweden I've never seen. Based on my experience in Stockholm I found it to be rather boring, but that's just a small part of the country. I don't find Italy to be boring no matter where I've been. That being said, it's one person's opinion, no more valid that any other one person's opinion. Oh, and as an American, I find most of the Caribbean to be of no interest, some places just less uninteresting than others.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 1:53 PM, maler said:

For me it's Cozumel and Ensenada, been there, done that. I'd still get off in the Caribbean but wouldn't go on any excursions.

Looking to go somewhere more exotic next time, a river cruise or on a smaller luxury ship.

I once took a river cruise down the Amazon in a hollowed out log canoe.  It was certainly smaller but very much without the luxury.  It was however, the most memorable cruise I ever took!  Which only goes to prove (to me) that bigger and luxurious are not always better.  Sometimes quiet is better with no sound other than the plap of the paddle.  Wildlife viewing at it's ultimate!

I will get bored of Italy  quite quickly I think.

Next years cruise has 5 stops in italy and by the end of it I think I will have seen enough.

I get bored quite quickly of churches and the likes. Well as I am not religious thats probably understandable.

I want to go back to Pompeii and I am looking forward to venice.

Really not bothered about Rome and florence. Seen them done it.

And yet I think I would find jamaican culture much more interesting.

The musical history and the cricket would keep me entertained for days.

Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean.

Edited by DarrenM

2 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Whats wrong with Stockholm ?

What is right? 😉

My guess is that since Sverigecrusier is Swedish, Stockholm isn't that attractive.

I would never pay full price for a cruise in the Baltic sea. Sure if I have some time off and find a CHEAP cruise I could do it.