Cruise Critic Community
wendyp247

British Airways possible strike

I  just read British Airways pilots may go on strike. We are scheduled to fly BA on August 14. What are your thought about the strike, do you think it will happen?  The news is also talking about the London airports going on strike.  Will Gatwick be involved in that strike. Yes, we have travel insurance but I’m not sure if it covers pilots strikes . 🤔

Strikes can be called off at very short notice so nobody knows.

You'll need to check the terms of your travel insurance as, for obvious reasons, not all policies are identical. 

Anyone hear about any updates on possible BA pilot strike ? When do you think  they'll go on strike if they do strike? I know by UK law they have to give 14 days notice. I have planned back to back cruises from Southampton. My current flight is scheduled on August 14, , yes I do have insurance that will  cover the strike,  but I have  planned this over a year ago. I am not concerned about my return flight at this time , just trying to make it to Southampton.I'll worry about return flight after my cruises.  

Posted (edited)

So sorry that this issue may impact your plans. Went thru a similar situation a few years ago with another European airline. It was very stressful not knowing.  I followed that airlines’s Pilots’ union site as well as general news to try and stay as informed as possible. I also researched alternate flights that we might use in the event of a strike. In your case, check out American Airlines as well as other BA partners. My thinking was that if I knew which options would work for us, we might have a better chance of rebooking should a strike affect our flights.   Fortunately, we weren’t ever impacted by strikes but I was still glad I was as prepared as possible. 

This is the link to BA Pilot union’s media page https://www.balpa.org/Media-Centre/Press-Releases

An internet search might turn up other useful sites that will help to keep you informed and hopefully ahead of the game. Sorry I can’t help out with airport strikes as I don’t have any personal experience but I would guess that the same process could help.  Watch the airports’ websites and their local news sources. 

Good luck and I do hope that all goes well for you.

Sharon

Edited by purduemom1

3 hours ago, wendyp247 said:

yes I do have insurance that will  cover the strike,

Two things to remember:

1) Does the policy cover labor actions (aka strikes)?  To what extent and what circumstances?

2) When you say "cover", know that insurance is to reimburse you for actual financial damages caused by an incident.  It is not in any way a guarantee that you will get flights or even be able to take your cruise.

Currently BA is in court arguing their appeal of the courts decision. I spent a sleepless night last night not know yet if my flight will be canceled.  I am hoping for the best, and have looked at alternate flights but can't proceed until a strike is called. 

1 minute ago, wendyp247 said:

Currently BA is in court arguing their appeal of the courts decision. I spent a sleepless night last night not know yet if my flight will be canceled.  I am hoping for the best, and have looked at alternate flights but can't proceed until a strike is called. 

The good news is, you'll know very soon if you'll be impacted or not. Within the next couple of days. If you've made it to August 2nd without a strike announced, you should be good.

Do you think the arguments and the  decision will be drug out to August 2? 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, wendyp247 said:

Do you think the arguments and the  decision will be drug out to August 2? 

No, but if your trip is August 14 and the British government requires 14 days notice for this strike, if one hasn't been called in the next few days, you should be fine for August 14.

Edited by Zach1213

latest on this is the airline have not been able to block the strikes.

so some will be announced shortly.

Yes you are right they have to give 14 days warning before they take place.

as in the past though even when announced they can still get cancelled at the last minute.

I'd expect the dates to be listed on the BBC website so if I see them I will update you.

Thanks for the update. It seems we'll most likely be ok for our August 14 flight, our return in September will be questionable.  We will not worry about return flight at this point. Just very happy to make it our on August 14.