Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
wendyp247

British Airways strike.

Recommended Posts

I just read British Airways pilots may go on strike. We are scheduled to fly BA on August 14. What are your thought about the strike, do you think it will happen?  The news is also talking about the London airports going on strike.  Will Gatwick be involved in that strike. Yes, we have travel insurance but I’m not sure if it covers pilots strikes . 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a BA flight ORD-LHR-BLR around the same time. I’m not changing anything yet. If it gets to within two weeks, you’re fine (since they need to give two weeks notice), do for now you can just wait. Right now, there’s just nothing you can do as it’s not a guarantee it will happen, and there’s no real defined timeline. 

 

Heathrow is going to see some separate strikes in August and those are already scheduled. I’m not sure about Gatwick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wendyp247 said:

 do you think it will happen?  

Will Gatwick be involved in that strike. Yes, we have travel insurance but I’m not sure if it covers pilots strikes . 🤔

 

I doubt anyone here can say what will happen so it's just a guessing game.  As for not knowing what your travel insurance covers, this would be a good time to check.  Better to check before purchasing but obviously it's too late for that!  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We are just hoping it’s not protracted. We fly out from Heathrow on the 21st September to Miami. No idea what we would do last minute if our flight was cancelled.

Edited by yorky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, yorky said:

We are just hoping it’s not protracted. We fly out from Heathrow on the 21st September to Miami. No idea what we would do last minute if our flight was cancelled.

 

It depends what your definition of "last minute" is. By law, they have to give at least 14 days notice, so you'll have some idea. Explore other options and have those ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yorky said:

We are just hoping it’s not protracted. We fly out from Heathrow on the 21st September to Miami. No idea what we would do last minute if our flight was cancelled.

 

Piece of advice for EVERYONE who travels:

 

Have a contingency plan in hand before you set out for your travels.  And then have a contingency plan for what to do when your first contingency plan won't work.

 

90+% of the time, you will have no need for it.  But for those other times when you do, it's a life-saver.  Further, as you make a plan for each trip, your contingency planning skills start to improve.   And remember that those skills will carry over into other parts of your life, not just travels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

 

Piece of advice for EVERYONE who travels:

 

Have a contingency plan in hand before you set out for your travels.  And then have a contingency plan for what to do when your first contingency plan won't work.

 

90+% of the time, you will have no need for it.  But for those other times when you do, it's a life-saver.  Further, as you make a plan for each trip, your contingency planning skills start to improve.   And remember that those skills will carry over into other parts of your life, not just travels.

Looking at some of the articles online it appears that should BA cancel flights they will first of all try and re-book passengers on alternatives with other airlines. Given we have two flight each way, the first one an internal from Glasgow to Heathrow and then Heathrow to Miami both with BA that may be more difficult. Not sure if we would be able to look at our own alternatives and then ask BA to pay for them or have to pay ourselves upfront then try and claim it back. My understanding is all BA need to do if they cancel flights due to a strike is to give a refund. I’m guess with 14 days notice those alternative flight won’t come cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of this depends on the fare rules of your ticket, which you should work to research.  It will specify if your ticket is endorsable or transferable.  You can look at routing rules.  From GLA, you could research alternatives from GLA, perhaps to Manchester and then to the USA.  Even if you can't go direct from the UK to MIA, just getting across the pond is a plus.  Also, look at flights from EDI as well - close enough to be a second Glasgow airport.

 

The main thing....be flexible in your thinking.  You need to get from your home to Miami - how you route has dozens of options.  You could go over to Dublin and then to the USA.  Or to Paris or Amsterdam or other.  Don't tunnel vision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Part of this depends on the fare rules of your ticket, which you should work to research.  It will specify if your ticket is endorsable or transferable.  You can look at routing rules.  From GLA, you could research alternatives from GLA, perhaps to Manchester and then to the USA.  Even if you can't go direct from the UK to MIA, just getting across the pond is a plus.  Also, look at flights from EDI as well - close enough to be a second Glasgow airport.

 

The main thing....be flexible in your thinking.  You need to get from your home to Miami - how you route has dozens of options.  You could go over to Dublin and then to the USA.  Or to Paris or Amsterdam or other.  Don't tunnel vision.

Oh there are plenty of options, they just want come cheap at the last minute. Our tickets are none transferable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, yorky said:

Looking at some of the articles online it appears that should BA cancel flights they will first of all try and re-book passengers on alternatives with other airlines.

Yes, In similar situations I have called the airline once my flight was canceled and in all situations during my 40 years of traveling I have alway been re-booked with partner airlines and rerouted to my final destination- most of the times arriving the same day - few time the day after. Benefit of booking with airlines in bigger alliances rather than the ‘low cost airlines’.

For the same reason I never schedule to fly the same day of my cruise. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Yes, In similar situations I have called the airline once my flight was canceled and in all situations during my 40 years of traveling I have alway been re-booked with partner airlines and rerouted to my final destination- most of the times arriving the same day - few time the day after. Benefit of booking with airlines in bigger alliances rather than the ‘low cost airlines’.

For the same reason I never schedule to fly the same day of my cruise. 

 

We have hotels booked for two nights before the cruise and two night afterwards. While it would be a shame to miss a night as they are very nice hotels it would not not be the end of the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BA will first try to re-accommodate as many as possible on AA flights to the US. Keep in mind you'll lose seat assignments.

 

As was mentioned, you could travel to a different airport--Manchester, Dublin, or even CDG.  I'd call your travel insurance to see what they will pay for.  An example--BA can get you onto the AA flight from CDG or the Aer Lingus flight from Dublin.  You can take a train/ferry/bus to get to the other airport and be there on time.  Will your travel insurance reimburse for the additional travel costs?  Will they reimburse the cost of additional hotel nights?  To what limit?  Will they allow you to scrap the original tickets and buy new at last minute rates?  What exactly will they reimburse for and for how much?

 

Now is the time to look at all possible options and have a number of possible solutions.  Don't wait for BA to offer them to you--have very specific ideas to offer them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...