Boarding 2 days later in Boston?

Looks like my husband has to work on the day we are suppose to board the Anthem of the Seas in October.  Can he board 2 days later in Boston? 

If so, does Royal need to know this beforehand or can I just show up at the port on tell them he couldn't make it and will board in Boston.  I am more comfortable with the latter just in case he can make it on the normal embarkation day at Cape Liberty.

2 minutes ago, Scarlette said:

Looks like my husband has to work on the day we are suppose to board the Anthem of the Seas in October.  Can he board 2 days later in Boston? 

If so, does Royal need to know this beforehand or can I just show up at the port on tell them he couldn't make it and will board in Boston.  I am more comfortable with the latter just in case he can make it on the normal embarkation day at Cape Liberty.

No he can’t.

That would be a violation of the PVSA.  He would have to board in a foreign country if he is boarding late.  

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

He might if you are willing the pay the $700+ PVSA fine - might not be too much more than a flight to Halifax.

I don't think they will allow it as they do not want the trouble and being fined and the offense on their records - no matter who pays for it! 👍

13 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I don't think they will allow it as they do not want the trouble and being fined and the offense on their records - no matter who pays for it! 👍

Yep, might as well reschedule cruise to later date, or hope that he can make it for regular embarkation! 

I'm not sure of your departure date but ours is 10/24 for a 9 night roundtrip out of Cape Liberty. We depart from Bayonne, Sea Day, then Boston (day 3) few more port days, then visit 2 ports in Canada then back to Bayonne. In this case wouldn't it be permissible since we'd be visiting a foreign port in between? There was a chance my hubby couldn't get off the day we set sail (all worked out now) and we had contemplated this same thing. Just curious.

5 minutes ago, ace1zoe2 said:

In this case wouldn't it be permissible since we'd be visiting a foreign port in between? 

The foreign port in between doesn't count, in essence it looks like RCI is taking the person from Boston to NJ.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ace1zoe2 said:

I'm not sure of your departure date but ours is 10/24 for a 9 night roundtrip out of Cape Liberty. We depart from Bayonne, Sea Day, then Boston (day 3) few more port days, then visit 2 ports in Canada then back to Bayonne. In this case wouldn't it be permissible since we'd be visiting a foreign port in between? There was a chance my hubby couldn't get off the day we set sail (all worked out now) and we had contemplated this same thing. Just curious.

Yes, this is the sailing!

Need to work it out ourselves or move to Oct 24.

54 minutes ago, ace1zoe2 said:

Your husband could get on the ship in either of the Canadian ports, but not at a US port.

I'm confused-trying to figure out why departing from Bayonne would be acceptable but departing from Boston is not? The ports outside the US are a few days after Boston? Maybe I'm missing something?

1 minute ago, paulapatti4 said:

I'm confused-trying to figure out why departing from Bayonne would be acceptable but departing from Boston is not? The ports outside the US are a few days after Boston? Maybe I'm missing something?

You are only looking at half the situation.  You must look at both the starting port and the ending port.

If the cruise starts and ends at two different US ports, the ship would have had to visit a distant foreign port (such as Curacao) to be legal.

The part you were missing is DISTANT foreign port.

So the ship would have to hit South American or the ABC islands to avoid being in violation of the PVSA.

We are booked on a Boston to Tampa cruise.  To be legal, it goes to Curacao and Aruba (A and C of ABC islands).

6 minutes ago, gadaboutgal said:

And boarding in Canada would not constitute a foreign port.

Sure it would for the purposes of the PVSA.  If either the starting port or ending port are not US, then the PVSA is not involved.

36 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Sure it would for the purposes of the PVSA.  If either the starting port or ending port are not US, then the PVSA is not involved.

Is this true, in OP situation, as the cruise itself starts and ends in U.S. ? 

Edited by gadaboutgal

2 minutes ago, gadaboutgal said:

Is this true, in OP situation, the cruise starts and ends in U.S. ? 

Shes stating that if the cruise started in Halifax and ended in Bayonne or vice versa the PVSA wouldn't be involved. They could board in Boston and debark in NJ

3 minutes ago, rbschultz said:

Shes stating that if the cruise started in Halifax and ended in Bayonne or vice versa the PVSA wouldn't be involved. They could board in Boston and debark in NJ

All the Anthem cruises in October start and end in beautiful gorgeous Bayonne.

17 hours ago, gadaboutgal said:

And boarding in Canada would not constitute a foreign port.

There are two different circumstances and terms.

FOREIGN port is for transport to/from.  If the cruise starts at a Canadian port and ends at a US port, PVSA is not violated.  That is how the Alaska cruises work.  They leave from Vancouver, then end up in Alaska.   Same would apply from Halifax to Bayonne or vice versa.  Or any trans Ocean.

DISTANT foreign port is required if the ship leaves one US port and terminates at a different one.  In the Caribbean area, South America (Colombia) or the ABC islands are a DISTANT foreign ports.  So the Brilliance cruise we have booked, starts in Boston, ends in Tampa is legal, because it calls in Aruba and Curacao.  I am pretty sure they hit two, just in case they have to miss one.

So what was proposed by the OP is NOT legal under PVSA, as while the ship calls on FOREIGN ports after Boston, it does not call on a DISTANT foreign port.  However, if the person boarded in Canada and got off in Bayonne, that is legal, as it is not transport between US ports.

Also, if they boarded in Halifax and wanted to get off at St. John, the Canadian equivalent of PVSA would come into play and not allow that.

3 minutes ago, SRF said:

Also, if they boarded in Halifax and wanted to get off at St. John, the Canadian equivalent of PVSA would come into play and not allow that.

Thanks, never knew there was a Canadian version of that law.