Anyone recommend one day tours in Sydney, Auckland or Singapore please?  I've been to all these cities before but have done hop on hop off in Australia and NZ and a CMV excursion in Singapore.  Just looking for something a little different.

Thanks.

• 10 months later...

Hi, Beltonian, you seem to beexperienced.I plan to use the Hop on Hop off in every port it's available, being a first timer on a WC. Good enough, you think ?

Hi hopcyns,

I wouldn't call myself very experienced but I was lucky enough on my world trip in 2018 to take advantage of a number of HOHO buses.  Their big, and obvious, advantage, as I see it, is that if you only have a limited time in port (as we often do) it gives you the chance to maximise seeing as much of the sights as possible.  Often, ship's excursions often tend to have more of a narrow focus on a particular set of places rather than a more general view.  Even if they do a tour of a city, excursion buses don't always stop where you want and time off bus can be very limited.  Just time for a quick photo or two.  As HOHOs tend to run the route/routes on a regular timetable you get the chance to get off, see what you (rather than a guide) want and then, if you time it right, not have too long to wait to be picked up to continue the tour.  Sometimes you get a little bonus e.g one I took in Hong Kong also included a trip on the Peak Train and a sampan ride included in the price.  Prices for HOHOs tend to be much of a muchness I found but are no more expensive than a ship organised excursion and may even be cheaper.  They are certainly more extensive.  Commentaries are generally good: I remember the HOHO at Darwin which had a great - and amusing - commentary and was one of my very favourite trips.  In some places there may be more than one HOHO company so it's worth comparing prices and routes.

If the RTW in 2021 comes off I am thinking, at the very least, to take the HOHOs in Cartegena, Cape Town, Singapore, Sydney (once again but a different route from 2018) and Lisbon.  Bali is also a possibility. It's worth doing some advance research on the places you plan to take a HOHO.  You can usually download route maps from the companys' internet sites and you will also get an idea of the costs involved.  Some people book in advance which can have  a cost advantage but I prefer just to roll up and pay on the day.  The vagaries of cruise travel mean you don't always arrive when you supposed to or even at all, if the weather or other factors intervene so an advance ticket might turn out to be just a scrap of worthless paper.

As you can probably tell I'm a HOHO fan! 

Best wishes, Stephen

I did a HOHO bus in Madrid, in Amsterdam and Vienna and think highly of them, with such short days at ports, it will suit me just fine,I think. But no, I won t book in advance, anything could happen.

Thanks for such a helpful, comprehensive response, I lok forward to meeting you .

Sian