Dubrovnik shuttle bus

zitsky

If you have been on any excursions in Dubrovnik... do you remember how long the shuttle bus ran?  All day until ship departure (5:30pm).  Or did it stop earlier?  I know you should be on the ship 30-60 min before departure. 

We are doing the City Wall Walk which stops at 1pm, perfect time to grab lunch in the city.

We were in Dubrovnik the end of May and shuttles ran every half hour from the terminal beginning at 9 am. We were the first guests off the ship just before 8 am and walked all the way to the old town (about 3.5 km) because we wanted the exercise and knew we could arrive before the first shuttle. Took us 45 minutes. Since it just started to rain when we were ready to head back to the ship at about 2 pm we rode the shuttle. There were many more shuttles afterward and I think the last one departed the Pile Gate bus area at 4:30 to get guests back to ship by 5 pm (for 5:30 departure). 

We we walked the walls on our own and it was one of our favorite experiences the entire Mediterranean Odyssey cruise. We purchased tickets by credit card once inside the Pile Gate ( to the right once you’re all the way through the gate). Price was 200 kuna ($30 US) and is payable on by card or kuna (no Euros). 

Edit: photo is from the wall above Pile Gate looking down upon the area where Viking shuttles return to the ship. 

9A76CF84-470D-4C1C-B726-DF7F4E08FA1E.jpeg

Edited by Hanoj
Add pho

If your plan in Dubrovnik is to do an excursion into the town, you can always take the excursion bus into town, and catch one of the frequent shuttle buses back to the ship.

That's what we did, because quite frankly the tour guide was an extremely self-opinionated chauvinist, and after tolerating him during the bus drive in to the Pile Gate and about 5 minutes of the walking tour, we ditched that as a bad idea and had a lovely time on our own.  We were able to get photographs which we believe we wouldn't have been able to get on the walking tour, and enjoyed our time in town.  We caught a shuttle bus back to the ship, which wasn't full at all.

It's a hilly walk from the ship to town, and most folk took the buses.

On one of our previous cruises we had a ship-excursion (not VO) which went along the coast to Cavtat, which is charming and very enjoyable. 

Our last visit to the city was with another cruise line, but we found no need to book a ship's tour to walk the wall. Similar to Hanoj, we purchased tickets just inside the Pile Gate, climbed the access stairs and went around without a guide. After the walls we toured inside, stopping for lunch & refreshments with another couple from the ship.

Caught a shuttle back to the ship about 1500-1530.

Agree that Cavtat is gorgeous & enjoyable.  Nice walk along the seaside.  Did it with Viking, combined with cable car overlook tour.  This was in the AM.  Afternoon we went into Dubrovnik.  Outstanding day.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Does the city wall walk start at the Pile Gate?  If so, where does it end?  I thought I'd research some restaurants to have lunch, but I'm not sure where the city wall walk stops.

There are 3 entrances/exits to the wall. The direction is one way counter clockwise. A good map will show all 3. Entering the wall from the Pile Gate is the only way to walk the wall along the Mediterranean Sea and the views are spectacular. 

Edit: We did the wall on our own so I don’t know where the Viking tour accesses the wall.

Edited by Hanoj

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So you probably start and end at the same place then?

That’s not necessary. We entered at the Pile Gate and exited near the old town harbor. Keep your ticket since they scan it at each entrance/exit. I’m not sure if they let you go around more than once, and I’m unsure about whether you are permitted to return once exiting though I suspect not to control more than one person using a ticket.