Three Nights pre cruise in Barcelona

One year we stayed at the Hotel Arts and yes the Club Floor is really nice.  Great hotel,, however really to far away for us.  We'll be going back in late April early May, this time we booked Le Meridien on La Ramblas (a bit pricey).  Noise sure, but what the heck we're on vacation and that's what it's all about. We enjoy people watching, great food and just having a good time.  And yes we've stayed at hotel in Times Sq--it's just the fun thing to do for us.

On 7/26/2019 at 1:05 PM, wripro said:

Staying on La Rambla is like saying in Times Square in NY. Go there for a few hours (mainly for La Boqueria) but escape as soon as you can.

Wripro

Isn't Hotel 1898 right on La Rambla and the one that you said was the best of the ones I mentioned?

I am somewhat confused!

ronrick, When we stayed at Le Meridien last May, our room was perfectly quiet and very pleasant.   I specifically asked for a quiet room and request was obliged.   Doesn't necessarily happen, of course, but do remember to ask if you like quiet accommodations (even though you might enjoy the bustle outside).

Wish we were going back to Barcelona this May!

I’d suggest the Hotel Colon. It’s a very nice hotel with a wonderful staff. The location is great. It’s in the Gothic district and literally across a plaza from the old Gothic Cathedral. If you do choose to stay there, request a room facing the Cathedral. There is something special about opening the shutters in your room early in the morning and seeing the Cathedral all its glory. The plaza gets very busy during the day with tourists and buskers, but by 10:00 pm, all is quiet. Hotel Colon is in easy walking distance to La Ramblas and the market, but did it, saw it, that was enough. Spend your time in the fascinating Gothic district. Oh, they have a very good included breakfast, too. 

I second malily's recommendation of Hotel Colón.  The location in the midst of the Gothic Quarter is so charming!  We also asked for a room facing the Cathedral and it had a large terrace, rather than a balcony.  There was a table and chairs plus a sun lounger.  Sometimes we brought pan con chorizo and wine from the Boquería to our room and enjoyed dining al fresco, watching all the happenings at the plaza.  We have also stayed at the Grand Marina, which is excellent, but out of the way of the heart of the city.

On 7/30/2019 at 2:01 PM, poss said:

ronrick, When we stayed at Le Meridien last May, our room was perfectly quiet and very pleasant.   I specifically asked for a quiet room and request was obliged.   Doesn't necessarily happen, of course, but do remember to ask if you like quiet accommodations (even though you might enjoy the bustle outside).

Wish we were going back to Barcelona this May!

Thanks, we'll only be at the hotel for 4 nights and look forward to the bustle outside----it's the end of the cruise and some friends will be flying in--it will be a nice long week in.  But thanks.

On 7/29/2019 at 8:18 PM, ronrick1943 said:

One year we stayed at the Hotel Arts and yes the Club Floor is really nice.  Great hotel,, however really to far away for us.  We'll be going back in late April early May, this time we booked Le Meridien on La Ramblas (a bit pricey).  Noise sure, but what the heck we're on vacation and that's what it's all about. We enjoy people watching, great food and just having a good time.  And yes we've stayed at hotel in Times Sq--it's just the fun thing to do for us.

Love your attitude but it does make me laugh that you don't mind the loudness (honking horns, etc.) of Times Square.  We like as close to silence as we can get - at home - on the ship and in hotels.

Have a blast with your friends in Barcelona!

I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions about choosing a hotel in Barcelona 

prior to our cruise. We have decided to stay at Grand Hotel Central Barcelona. It gets

some great reviews on TA and wonderful comments on location, staff and breakfast.

Here's hoping we made a good decision.

Gracias!!

5 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

Snorkle, enjoy a wonderful city and make sure to visit beyond the regular tourist sights.  The people are so special...and so is the food!!

Yes Snorkle, and also please keep your purse by you at all times, dont become one more statistic in lovely Barcelona!

On 7/31/2019 at 6:40 PM, malily said:

I’d suggest the Hotel Colon. 

On 8/1/2019 at 6:48 AM, Camillus112 said:

I second malily's recommendation of Hotel Colón.

The hotel name looks SO much more pleasant with the accent symbol on the “ó”.

Just an observation.   😜

Bill - agree with you!  This thread has a lot of recommendations and they are probably all good.  We stayed in another hotel that we loved but did not list it as it is more of a 3* hotel with some of the friendliest employees that we have ever encountered.

If you are noise sensitive, this is a big consideration in Barcelona.  Walking distance to restaurants and shops is another one.  Some of you want a 5* hotel while we like something with a bit more of a local flair.  I would definitely check out TripAdvisor (sister company to Cruise Critic) to see how they rate the hotels.  We look at the review and, if we see more than a couple of the same negative comments, will give it a pass.  We have had good luck with Trip Advisor!

Above the hotel and everything else, keep your valuables in a safe place.  This is one of the top pickpocketing cities in the world (Rome is right up there as well).

On 8/1/2019 at 9:06 AM, ronrick1943 said:

Thanks, we'll only be at the hotel for 4 nights and look forward to the bustle outside----it's the end of the cruise and some friends will be flying in--it will be a nice long week in.  But thanks.

RonRick

We stayed at Le Meridian. I think you will enjoy it!  Location was very convenient to things we wanted to see.  Look forward to reading all about your cruise. 

Kelly