Does Royal still only want 10's on the Guest Survey?

17 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:
23 hours ago, Armac said:

A few years ago on Enchantment we had a very experienced good waiter who only had two tables of 4. When we asked why he only had two tables he reluctantly told us he was being punished for a bad survey.  On a previous cruise he had a difficult table that he could not please no matter how hard he tried. From the good service he gave us I tend to believe him. Sad  

Hook line and sinker. Translation, please give us 10’s

I was thinking the same thing. One bad survey and the waiter is punished?? Hmmm.....

On the other hand, it's much easier provide exceptional service to just 2 small tables of 4, rather than several large 8-10 people tables.

13 hours ago, icsys said:

Yes, the quality of the food is, apparently, the waiters responsibility.

I've been told that several times and my reply was:

You didn't cook it, so why should you be expected to take responsibility for it?  We bring more until you are happy.

I can kind of, sorta agree to that.  Since there is no way of knowing which chef cooked a specific meal for a specific customer, it's up to the waiter to ensure the customer is satisfied with the meal and if dissatisfied, recommend something else they might like.

14 hours ago, icsys said:

Yes, the quality of the food is, apparently, the waiters responsibility.

I've been told that several times and my reply was:

You didn't cook it, so why should you be expected to take responsibility for it?  We bring more until you are happy.

That explains that. I didn't care for the dish that I ordered, but didn't want to order another one and the server was even more irritated. I don't think they like people who are on Any Time Dining.  Do new employees or people with low scores get assigned to Any Time Dining?

2 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

I work part-time driving for Uber. I don't do it often so I have almost a top score of 5. Last week I took a teenager somewhere and the little butthole gave me a 1. With such small #'s of passengers it really throws off my rating. I agree, fill out the surveys.

So staff are now not supposed to ask for 10's? I was asked several times by the waiter and head waiter to give them 10's a few weeks ago. Sheesh, it is as bad as the upsell in the spa which I stopped several years ago by telling them not to try to sell me anything.

Any clue why they gave you a 1?  As a rider, I have a 5. 

3 minutes ago, GigiK said:

.... Do new employees or people with low scores get assigned to Any Time Dining?

In the past, it's been the best employees that get MTD, because they can make more money there.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

In the past, it's been the best employees that get MTD, because they can make more money there. 

Interesting. How so? We just prepaid them all and left the room steward a little extra because he was so nice and helpful. We have gotten the survey, but haven't filled it out yet.

On 7/24/2019 at 6:09 PM, Board_Shorts said:

I know the days of crew members begging for 10's on the survey have mostly gone now, or are supposed to have gone.

There's even a question asking if any crew member has mentioned the survey to you, and if so, to name who it was.

But the system still works in the same way. Anything less than a 10 is a fail. Too many fails, and the crew are disciplined.

Because I know this, I always do mark everything as a 10 on that survey. I've never met a crew member I didn't like, and I would hate to be a part of someone getting into trouble when I had no idea that I was.

But the whole idea is still a complete farce, and it's still true that anything less than a 10 is a fail.

I know a lot of people who say they would never mark a 10 on any survey, because to them, a 10 would mean perfection, and as we all know, nobody's perfect.

As a huge international company, RCCL must surely know things like this, so I really do wonder why they do it.

Do they only want to hear nice things about the company? Does negativity upset them? 

The whole point of a survey is to pinpoint areas that need improvement, or to check how new methods are working for example. Otherwise, why do they ask us? It's a complete waste of time for them and us.

I remember hearing something a while ago, about the scores being used as part of the information that is used for industry awards. "Best Mass Market Cruiseline" for example, which Royal usually wins, or "Best Premium Cruise Line" for Celebrity, both are RCCL companies.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much into it. I do get very intrigued about these things.

On our recent cruise (5th-17th July) on Vision, they were candidly expressing desires for all of us to give the wait staff in the MDR high points for service. Then, when you get the survey via email, we're kind of wondering how to answer the questions "did anyone encourage you to give high marks" and then "if so, who, specifically, in what area of the ship, did this?" We just put no one did it because we don't want them getting into trouble.

3 minutes ago, GigiK said:

Interesting. How so? We just prepaid them all and left the room steward a little extra because he was so nice and helpful. We have gotten the survey, but haven't filled it out yet.

A waiter and assistant waiter get tips from each diner they serve.  In traditional dining, they get two sittings per night.  In MTD, they can get three sittings per night.

Good info here. I never dreamed the serving staff was put under so much pressure. I'll be giving 10's if they are good and not answering if they are not so good. Personally I feel uncomfortable playing informant to a corporation and supplying the names of employees asking for reviews, and not knowing if I am getting them in trouble.

On 7/25/2019 at 1:32 PM, Sam Ting said:

We always give 10s across the board. We have nothing to gain by giving anything less and would never potentially affect someone’s livelihood because they were having a bad day or week. If the billion dollar company wanted to see if the employees are meeting the standards they could hire mystery shoppers like a lot of businesses do. 

I give 10s and write in the comments why I do: because anything less than 10 is a fail

On 7/25/2019 at 2:31 PM, bouhunter said:

Does anyone really care about replies to another thread about 10 ratings?

Ha! The joke's on you buddy. You're the one who opened it, you're the one who read it, and you're the one who even posted on it. It's fair to say that you care a lot.

No need to reply, I won't see it. I'm going to make you disappear now. Bye bye.

BLOCKED.

What I see that it is most important to specifically name those who have given us great service.  I have done and will continue to do that.  Yes, we have been asked for 10's, don't remember who, but it really did not matter.  We always give grades that are specific to us.

Any customer survey only works for my benefit when I am scrupulously honest.  I point out the things that were done exceptionally well and those which need improvement.  No grading on the curve.  Then it is up to the company to use my information for intelligent decision making.

I am the one paying the bill, not the company, not the employee.  I'm going to use the survey for my benefit, not someone else's.

• Like 3

RCL should have 2 surveys.  One that is issued mid-cruise and one that is issued post cruise.  I don't know about anybody else, but I certainly notice the service and number of crew members running around with smiling faces and eager to serve you seems to double on the last couple of days of a cruise.    

10 hours ago, fscool said:

RCL should have 2 surveys.  One that is issued mid-cruise and one that is issued post cruise.  I don't know about anybody else, but I certainly notice the service and number of crew members running around with smiling faces and eager to serve you seems to double on the last couple of days of a cruise.    

We have often gotten a mid cruise survey on longer cruises, not such an indepth one but a chance to write comments (good or bad). They have always followed up with anything we have said.

On 7/24/2019 at 6:09 PM, Board_Shorts said:

I know the days of crew members begging for 10's on the survey have mostly gone now, or are supposed to have gone.

There's even a question asking if any crew member has mentioned the survey to you, and if so, to name who it was.

But the system still works in the same way. Anything less than a 10 is a fail. Too many fails, and the crew are disciplined.

Because I know this, I always do mark everything as a 10 on that survey. I've never met a crew member I didn't like, and I would hate to be a part of someone getting into trouble when I had no idea that I was.

But the whole idea is still a complete farce, and it's still true that anything less than a 10 is a fail.

I know a lot of people who say they would never mark a 10 on any survey, because to them, a 10 would mean perfection, and as we all know, nobody's perfect.

As a huge international company, RCCL must surely know things like this, so I really do wonder why they do it.

Do they only want to hear nice things about the company? Does negativity upset them? 

The whole point of a survey is to pinpoint areas that need improvement, or to check how new methods are working for example. Otherwise, why do they ask us? It's a complete waste of time for them and us.

I remember hearing something a while ago, about the scores being used as part of the information that is used for industry awards. "Best Mass Market Cruiseline" for example, which Royal usually wins, or "Best Premium Cruise Line" for Celebrity, both are RCCL companies.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much into it. I do get very intrigued about these things.

This nonsense is real and makes the survey results less useful.  Survey design is a science and as someone else posted a 9 and 10 are pretty much the same if you study the science.  I have cruised a lot.  Some on RCCL and some on other lines.  No cruise has ever earned 10s across the board.  Not sure they should anyway otherwise there is nothing they can improve upon which we all know is nonsense.  The whole point is to identify what is working and what needs improvement.  For sure we have had super waiters and outstanding cabin stewards while others while decent aren't the same.  Same with about everything else.  

18 hours ago, fscool said:

They do have a paper midway survey on the longer sailings!