Cruise Critic Community
texasstar

Paris hotel pre-Normandy cruise

We will be cruising with Scenic in May 2020 to the Normandy area.  Does anyone have recommendations for a hotel in Paris pre-cruise?

There are so many great hotels in Paris.  What part of Paris did you want to stay in?

AND how much do you want to pay? The George V is a great hotel if price is no problem.

Viking put us in the Hotel Pullman Paris Eiffel Tower. The hotel was more than adequate for us; essentially up to good-US-hotel standards. It was a couple blocks from a subway stop (and I believe ditto for an RER stop) so we could get everywhere we wanted to go.

But, since that was our first time in Paris, what made it one of the high points was that the hotel is a block-and-a-half from the Eiffel Tower. Every time we walked out of the hotel there it was; and the exercise room was higher than the buildings between us and the Tower so I have some great photos, and a video of the night-time light show.

20160403_134103.jpg

20160403_083245.jpg

Thanks to all for your replies.  I am not sure about what area.  I have heard that the left bank, Latin quarter is good, but am open to any area that is one that other tourist have liked.  I am thinking in the $300-$A350 price range.  I prefer smaller boutique hotels rather than large ones, but an elevator and air conditioners are a must.

4 hours ago, texasstar said:

Thanks to all for your replies.  I am not sure about what area.  I have heard that the left bank, Latin quarter is good, but am open to any area that is one that other tourist have liked.  I am thinking in the $300-$A350 price range.  I prefer smaller boutique hotels rather than large ones, but an elevator and air conditioners are a must.

We too like the Left Bank, but our total favourite is Ile St Louis, the Island between the Left and Right banks, so for us a perfect location.

We have stayed on the island a couple of times at Hotel St. Louis en L'Ile.  This is their website: https://www.saintlouisenlisle.com/en/

We generally like the top floor room, both because it is considerably bigger but it also has great views of the local area.  It is a small boutique hotel, in a wonderful street, lined with cute shops and restaurants, as well as a fromagerie, a boulangerie and a wonderful wine shop.  It also has an elevator, albeit very small, but they all are, and air conditioning.

9 hours ago, djh1959 said:

We too like the Left Bank, but our total favourite is Ile St Louis, the Island between the Left and Right banks, so for us a perfect location.

We have stayed on the island a couple of times at Hotel St. Louis en L'Ile.  This is their website: https://www.saintlouisenlisle.com/en/

We generally like the top floor room, both because it is considerably bigger but it also has great views of the local area.  It is a small boutique hotel, in a wonderful street, lined with cute shops and restaurants, as well as a fromagerie, a boulangerie and a wonderful wine shop.  It also has an elevator, albeit very small, but they all are, and air conditioning.

We stayed at the Hôtel de Lutèce, closer to Nôtre-Dame from the Hôtel Saint-Louis en L'Isle, and enjoyed it too.  Boutique hotels in a boutique neighborhood (the island is right in the middle of Paris, but because it's an island it's quiet and unique).  We also had two terrific dinners at L'Orangerie, great gelato at Amorino, and I loved my breakfasts of café au lait and freshly-baked croissants at Le Saint-Régis corner café-bar [they sent a runner to the boulangerie down the street for fresh supplies while I waited!].  As you can see, I highly recommend staying on Île Saint-Louis!

Thanks everyone.  I will check those out.  Jazzbeau, thanks for the food recommendations also.

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We stayed at the Hôtel de Lutèce, closer to Nôtre-Dame from the Hôtel Saint-Louis en L'Isle, and enjoyed it too.  Boutique hotels in a boutique neighborhood (the island is right in the middle of Paris, but because it's an island it's quiet and unique).  We also had two terrific dinners at L'Orangerie, great gelato at Amorino, and I loved my breakfasts of café au lait and freshly-baked croissants at Le Saint-Régis corner café-bar [they sent a runner to the boulangerie down the street for fresh supplies while I waited!].  As you can see, I highly recommend staying on Île Saint-Louis!

I think HOtel de Lutece, and another one in that stretch, are all owned by the same owners at Saint-Louis en L'Isle.  I haven't stayed in the others though.  There is also another more expensive hotel further down the street, opposite the church.

Le Saint-Regis is my favourite place for breakfast anywhere in the world!  We ate there every day during our three stays on the Island.  Their omelet with herbs and the eggs benedict are incredible, particularly the hollandaise sauce.

We were in Paris for three nights back in January and stayed in Le Marais for a change, but we did have to walk over the Le Saint Regis for one breakfast.  I must say though I was shocked how much the prices had risen in two years.  Certainly couldn't afford breakfast there everyday these days.

There are so many good restaurants in that area.

You know yourself and style of travel. Hubby and I avoid subways at all costs. lol So while some of the recommendations are lovely, they’re out of the way. 

We love the Left Bank St Germain area Fifth Adon. We walked almost everywhere from this area. Lots of cafés. If you like boutique hotels then I highly recommend Hotel Vernueil. Lovely hotel with exceptional service 

We have stayed at the Hotel da Vinci twice now, also in St. Germain. It is a small boutique hotel, with AC and elevator, and an amazing spa pool which can be reserved for private use. The service is fabulous, and it is easily accessible to most of the top tourist sites. They called a cab to take us to the port both times. It is definitely our "go-to" in Paris.

https://www.hoteldavinciparis.com/en/

Robin

Thank you.  Several that I have checked  have said "no availability". Maybe it is just too early.

5 hours ago, texasstar said:

Thank you.  Several that I have checked  have said "no availability". Maybe it is just too early.

I doubt it is too early. Try emailing the hotels directly.