Cruise Critic Community
calteacher

cabin where the "bump out" is part of the verandah

Is the extra size of the verandah worth it considering the extra wind because no cabin is blocking the wind while sailing?  It's been years since we had one, and in looking at notes I took, it seemed that at times it was too cool to sit on the verandah while sailing due to the wind.  Any comments?  We may try for one again but would appreciate any information.

Posted (edited)

I guess you mean on the forward side of the bump-out? We have 4135 on the Nieuw Statendam (in Jan 2021) with the "extra" on the lee side, hoping for more usability...

I suspect any verandah can be breezy (even the one for 4135).

The only two balconies we've had were either too hot/humid (Panama Canal) or too chilly (Cape Horn) to get much use out of. But as I said, we're going to try one in the Caribbean!

Edited by crystalspin

We like these bump out cabins - they are a bi larger (or so it seems) plus we like the ability to see forward,  If it is windy, we just stay in the area that is "normal".

8 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

We like these bump out cabins - they are a bi larger (or so it seems) plus we like the ability to see forward,  If it is windy, we just stay in the area that is "normal".

I totally agree with this! You have a little  extra area inside the cabin, too. This is a good area for a chair or extra luggage.

Posted (edited)

If you're worried about the wind, try looking at an aft bump-out cabin.  The location blocks the wind from the front.  We stayed in a Signature Suite in this location and loved it.  Extra room in the cabin and balcony.  Can't beat that.  Plus you're closer to aft elevators, which take you to MDR or Lido Marketplace quickly without a lot of walking down the corridors.

Edited by sevenseasnomad

We had a bump out cabin on the Oosterdam.

I heard a lot of people rave about it so I decided to give it a shot.

I believe it was an SB at the time.  The room was technically smaller but it was so well laid out it seemed bigger.  I liked the layout.

But the balcony was a challenge.  You had to go to one corner or the other to avoid the wind and there were a couple of days when we couldn’t use it at all due to the wind as it came at both sides.

It’s a neat layout and the balcony is certainly bigger but for us, a lot of it was unusable

Everyone’s experience may be different though.  FWIW, we were in Europe with excellent weather at the time..

We are getting ready to book on the Oosterdam.  What cabin numbers have this "bump-out?"

2 hours ago, PJWisconsin said:

We are getting ready to book on the Oosterdam.  What cabin numbers have this "bump-out?"

The Oosterdam, a Vista Class ship, does not have a bump-out, rather decks 4-8 have fore and aft sections that are wider than the extended midship section. 

Go to this HAL page, scroll down past the FAQs, and you can download a PDF with all of the deck plans, or look at 4-8 on the webpage. Study what areas would be in the wind or partially leeward.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/cruise-ships/ms-oosterdam/6.html