Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Natmar

Pre-ordering Gluten Free dinner question

When I eat dinner in a Specialty Restaurant how do I let the main dining room know my next night dinner choices without having to go to the main dining room after my Specialty dining meal?  Last time we sailed HAL I had to go to the dining room after my Specialty meal, stand in line and wait for my turn just to ask for the next night's menu so I can choose my gluten free meal.  Once completed I had to stand back in line just to turn it in and then low and behold the next night my meal would be either WRONG or they LOST my pre-order completely.  Is there any way around this problem?   We are in a Neptune Suite do you think the Neptune Lounge Staff could take care of things for me so I don't have to stand in line at the dining room? 

I would expect that your Neptune concierge would be able to make that happen OR you could flag your MDR server on Monday and tell them you expect to eat in the <insert specialty here> on Tuesday >>BUT<< that you would like a GF option on Wednesday. Even without pre-selecting it would seem that getting a GF option on any night would be pretty easy - HAL seems pretty good in that regard (however my observations are based on GF by choice and not GF due to Celiac).

Posted (edited)

Go to the Front Desk.  When they give you the menu, make certain you write your cabin number, name, table # (if you have fixed) and your request for gluten-free meal.  You can also go to the maître d' the morning after your alternative dinner and do the same thing.

I've had to do this several times, as I have a food allergy.  It's no big deal.  The ship personnel seem to be very familiar with this type of situation.  Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by sevenseasnomad

5 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

The ship personnel seem to be very familiar with this type of situation.

They do a really good job. If there is an area that could be improved, it would be in the area of GF desserts (other than fruit). DW has sensitivities to both gluten and dairy which ends up being tricky.