Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
jbethel11

Why can't I ever find two adjacent cabins?

Recommended Posts

Is there a specific reason as to why I cannot find two adjacent cabins? More specifically, I would like two connecting cabins. I can only see every other cabin available on NCL's website. This sailing is in September of 2021, so I am certain the ship is not close to selling out anytime soon. Appreciate any responses!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Is there a specific reason as to why I cannot find two adjacent cabins? More specifically, I would like two connecting cabins. I can only see every other cabin available on NCL's website. This sailing is in September of 2021, so I am certain the ship is not close to selling out anytime soon. Appreciate any responses!

I would call NCL and see what you can do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It probably had something to do with whatever algorithm NCL uses to show cabins on their website. I think it maxes out at showing 15-20 even if there's many more available in the category. If you go to other websites they'll show you all the cabins available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a problem with the NCL website. On most ships, i can never see my prefer cabin location and always have to call to book 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is there a specific reason as to why I cannot find two adjacent cabins? More specifically, I would like two connecting cabins. I can only see every other cabin available on NCL's website. This sailing is in September of 2021, so I am certain the ship is not close to selling out anytime soon. Appreciate any responses!
Get/use an NCL PCC

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another reason is human nature.  People like to pick cabins, airline seats, etc. that have empty ones next to them, in hopes that they will stay empty.  Happens in movie theaters all the time too.  People leave one empty seat between their party and the next, and those arriving late can never find two together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Often times it's a capacity issue.  Many (not all) blocks of cabins have alternating occupancy limits and when looking for a cruise where the algorithm hasn't been removed (typical for far-away dates) you will not be shown the options for cabins not to your occupancy choice.

 

If you need adjacent (or connecting) cabins, you need to call NCL since you may only book one cabin at a time online.  They may bend the rules and allow you to book actual adjacent cabins with less than full occupancy but don't count on it this far out.  They definitely want to "fill the ship" and selling triple or quad capacity cabins to a duo isn't cost effective (even if the fake "3rd and 4th sail free" promo is in place).

 

The same applies if your situation is reversed (a triple party looking for adjacent cabins that only hold two).

Edited by StolidCruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe try a mock booking using an online TA website that shows all of the available rooms.  You can perhaps get a better idea of blocks of rooms that are available.  Here's a random example of a mock booking I just did for September 2021 on the Joy for a regular balcony stateroom.  The red dots indicate available rooms.  Notice they are all in a row.  None are connecting in this example.  My point is, the info is likely available even if it's not showing directly on the NCL website.

image.png.9f62d099ed115cc15ba99517e74defcb.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

Often times it's a capacity issue.  Many (not all) blocks of cabins have alternating occupancy limits and when looking for a cruise where the algorithm hasn't been removed (typical for far-away dates) you will not be shown the options for cabins not to your occupancy choice.

 

If you need adjacent (or connecting) cabins, you need to call NCL since you may only book one cabin at a time online.  They may bend the rules and allow you to book actual adjacent cabins with less than full occupancy but don't count on it this far out.  They definitely want to "fill the ship" and selling triple or quad capacity cabins to a duo isn't cost effective (even if the fake "3rd and 4th sail free" promo is in place).

Well, Bermuda has a yearly tourist cap, meaning that NCL can only sell their ships to a certain capacity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Maybe try a mock booking using an online TA website that shows all of the available rooms.  You can perhaps get a better idea of blocks of rooms that are available.  Here's a random example of a mock booking I just did for September 2021 on the Joy for a regular balcony stateroom.  The red dots indicate available rooms.  Notice they are all in a row.  None are connecting in this example.  My point is, the info is likely available even if it's not showing directly on the NCL website.

image.png.9f62d099ed115cc15ba99517e74defcb.png

Do the divides remove like on Carnival or RCI?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Do the divides remove like on Carnival or RCI?

If you are talking about on the balcony, in my experience there is a portion of the divider that is on a hinge that looks like it will open but I have never requested this so I don't know if they will do it for you.  Others may chime in on their experiences with opening the dividers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jbethel11 said:

Is there a specific reason as to why I cannot find two adjacent cabins? More specifically, I would like two connecting cabins. I can only see every other cabin available on NCL's website. This sailing is in September of 2021, so I am certain the ship is not close to selling out anytime soon. Appreciate any responses!

Just call - I wanted a specific cabin and it was not listed as available, I called NCL and was able to book through them.  It is worth a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

If you are talking about on the balcony, in my experience there is a portion of the divider that is on a hinge that looks like it will open but I have never requested this so I don't know if they will do it for you.  Others may chime in on their experiences with opening the dividers.

 

The balcony dividers:

There were posts about this and for the most part the position of NCL is NO for reasons of safety maintenance yada

yada yada. You could ask (tip) your cabin steward but that is not necessarily the right move.

The approved method for having two cabins connected is the connecting INTERIOR door(s).

 

If you are on a multi-level deck cruise the least expensive deck may not have the connecting door feature or simply

be sold out and you missed it resulting your having to go up a deck higher and perhaps paying more for a different

category of cabin. Booking multiple cabins online at the same time is not allowed so you will have to do it individually

or the best move is call NCL or work with TA and see what can be done.

Also note just because something is not available at this time or tomorrow - check back frequently - some cabins

are placed on a hold pending guest decision making. Time expires and the cabin(s) is back in inventory.

The more time you have to research this the better - doing last minute bookings you are setting yourself with extremely

limited options to work with.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of the reason why the OP is having difficulty could be the number of people in each stateroom. The capacity tends to alternate between 3 and 4 passengers. If booking with 2 or 3 people in each stateroom, the website will usually only show the 3 person staterooms. If booking with 4, the system will obviously only show the 4 person staterooms.

 

My suggestion is to find some examples of connecting staterooms that you want and then call NCL to see if they are available. The website doesn't show all available staterooms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Well, Bermuda has a yearly tourist cap, meaning that NCL can only sell their ships to a certain capacity.

 

Cruise passengers make up a majority of the tourist trade to Bermuda.  Any speculated restriction on berth sales because of a purported yearly tourist cap is illogical (and unsupported).

Edited by StolidCruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StolidCruiser said:

Cruise passengers make up a fraction of the tourist trade to Bermuda

I disagree with that statement. With the lack of well known branded hotels/resorts, i.e. Hilton, Marriott and Wyndham, I presume many tourists don't fly in as much as they cruise in. My claim also happens to be backed by numerous media outlets, including https://www.travelpulse.com/news/destinations/bermuda-s-enjoying-a-tourist-boom.html, claiming 155,089 more tourists cruised to Bermuda over taking a plane. This makes sense given the sheer amount of weekly or monthly cruises (Celebrity, Royal, Carnival, Norwegian, and Insignia).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Is there a specific reason as to why I cannot find two adjacent cabins? More specifically, I would like two connecting cabins. I can only see every other cabin available on NCL's website. This sailing is in September of 2021, so I am certain the ship is not close to selling out anytime soon. Appreciate any responses!

Pick up the phone and call NCL or call or visit your personal TA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Do the divides remove like on Carnival or RCI?

Not outside, connecting cabins can  have the interior doors open, but not the balconies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frustrating - I was willing to spend to get connecting rooms, but couldn't so now we will all be crammed into one. The kids are still little, so the only way we would do 2 rooms is if they connect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

I disagree with that statement. With the lack of well known branded hotels/resorts, i.e. Hilton, Marriott and Wyndham, I presume many tourists don't fly in as much as they cruise in. My claim also happens to be backed by numerous media outlets, including https://www.travelpulse.com/news/destinations/bermuda-s-enjoying-a-tourist-boom.html, claiming 155,089 more tourists cruised to Bermuda over taking a plane. This makes sense given the sheer amount of weekly or monthly cruises (Celebrity, Royal, Carnival, Norwegian, and Insignia).

 

Please refer to my reworded post. I had major brain discord and can't understand why I wrote what I did orginally.

 

I had to contact a local colleague to refresh my memory; there is no "tourist cap" in Bermuda.  Cruisers make up about 50% of the annual tourist trade (TravelPulse's statistics are off by a good margin) that comprises roughly 30% of the GDP.  Sanctioning that would be counter-productive.

 

There are good reasons there are no branded hotels in Bermuda.  If you understand the history and land ownership laws, you would know the hindrances to such real estate development.  There is a very unique market for the fly-in tourist equaled by opportunity for conferences, seminars and sporting events that bolster the tourist and hospitality industry.  There is only so much rental capacity to handle fly-in multiple-day tourists but purported restriction or limitation on such tourism is inaccurate.

 

Bermuda is a fascinating economy with a history you could spend years digesting.  You would do well to avoid internet stories with skewed information and do some real research before making more claims.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Well, Bermuda has a yearly tourist cap, meaning that NCL can only sell their ships to a certain capacity.

???? That is like saying Disney World is overbooked and Florida is closed. Please cite your source and not the article you referenced which highlighted NCL's resolve to increase the amount of ships yearly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, StolidCruiser said:

Often times it's a capacity issue.  Many (not all) blocks of cabins have alternating occupancy limits and when looking for a cruise where the algorithm hasn't been removed (typical for far-away dates) you will not be shown the options for cabins not to your occupancy choice.

 

If you need adjacent (or connecting) cabins, you need to call NCL since you may only book one cabin at a time online.  They may bend the rules and allow you to book actual adjacent cabins with less than full occupancy but don't count on it this far out.  They definitely want to "fill the ship" and selling triple or quad capacity cabins to a duo isn't cost effective (even if the fake "3rd and 4th sail free" promo is in place).

 

The same applies if your situation is reversed (a triple party looking for adjacent cabins that only hold two).

 

Not necessarily true.  My husband and I have a 2 bedroom concierge suite booked and it’s booking availability  was never shielded from us nor did we ever have a 3rd or 4th on our mock booking.  Just the 2 of us. 

Edited by TheDuckmom
Misspelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Monica887 said:

Frustrating - I was willing to spend to get connecting rooms, but couldn't so now we will all be crammed into one. The kids are still little, so the only way we would do 2 rooms is if they connect.

Did you wait too long to book? We always get connecting, can’t book two cabins online at once, so we just call. They do sell out though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Did you wait too long to book? We always get connecting, can’t book two cabins online at once, so we just call. They do sell out though.

As I've mentioned: 

19 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

This sailing is in September of 2021, so I am certain the ship is not close to selling out anytime soon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...