Ruby Princess Inside Passage To Alaska July 13-20, 2019

On 8/1/2019 at 4:23 PM, Deesquared said:

Thanks for your great detailed review, and all the photos. Our family has sailed on the Ruby twice, and we love her.

Thank you also for your thoughts on the on-board Naturalist. I have heard interesting views on Michael, and his style. I am also a Naturalist, and am hoping to work on-board the Princess ships at some point. Would you mind telling me more about his presentation, and what he talked about? Thank you!

Wonderful pics of all those humpback whales, by the way!

Honestly? I didn't care for him. He seemed to be something of a "bullshitter" (harsh, I know but you asked!) And I felt like his main goal was to sell his books. He spent a long time on a story about his first winter alone in a cabin. He showed some slides, talked about his book, made some suggestions for what to do in Alaska.

4 hours ago, ifihadamilliondollars said:

Victoria, BC

Okay. This port is just downright stupid. I understand that they have to stop in a Canadian Port. But C'mon. We didn't dock til 7pm. There was some kind of hold up with customs and we didn't get off til 730. Unless you had an excursion booked, there was nothing to do! We walked to Fisherman's Wharf. Just some bars and restaurants. And apparently some people walked downtown which was a bit of hike and all the shops were closed!!

I know . . . the late arrival time and short time in port put the nix to our being able to walk to Rogers Candies and stock up on some goodies we had enjoyed on land trips to Victoria in years past (the store closes about an hour before we get into port).  We ended up not getting off the ship in Victoria.  We got off at the Alaskan port stops, places I had never been before, but personally I did not feel cheated about Victoria because we had been there many times by car and probably will do it that way again.

5 hours ago, ifihadamilliondollars said:

Honestly? I didn't care for him. He seemed to be something of a "bullshitter" (harsh, I know but you asked!) And I felt like his main goal was to sell his books. He spent a long time on a story about his first winter alone in a cabin. He showed some slides, talked about his book, made some suggestions for what to do in Alaska.

Thank you so much for your honest opinion! I have heard that many people are not big fans of Michael. This actually gives me great hope on my chances for working as an on-board naturalist. I don't have the 'hands-on' Alaska experience, but I've been an Interpreter/Naturalist for many years on the BC Coast, and I love working in front of a crowd. I don't have any books to sell either, so that's a plus! 🙂

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...