LIVE from the ZUIDERDAM - VOYAGE OF THE VIKINGS

sansterre

Left Cork and arrived Kenmare for a walk-around.  We went into the Supermarket and bought some Barley Sugar Candy to help my cold/cough which lingers.  I also purchased a post card to send to Karen, a Roll Call member who started to organize this tour last year but couldn't cruise due to illness.  Hi Karen - best regards!

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 3

We drove through the County Cork and crossed into County Kerry, traveling on a section of the Ring of Kerry which included some lovely views.  

IMG_1070.jpg

here is ladies view (name is from Queen Victoria's time) of the lakes of Killarney

IMG_1076.jpg

nearby, leprechaun crossing!

IMG_1072.jpg

a short (?) hike took us to this lovely waterfall in the National Park area

IMG_1160.jpg

and then lunch at Murphy's Bar

IMG_1165.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 4

Back in Cobh (pronounced Cove in today's English) at 4:05, we had time to visit St. Colman Cathedral.

IMG_1186.jpg

It was impossible this lovely building in one photo, but there is one later in the sail-away.

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 3

and now back at the port of Cobh.  Many local people are on the dock, some to look at the ship and also because there is a festival a bit further down the waterfront.

Annie Moore, first to go through immigration at Ellis Island with her brothers(?).  She was 15 years old.

IMG_1234.jpg

the Zuiderdam at Cobh dock.  The flowers are also spectacular!

IMG_1237.jpg

the Cobh Heritage Center

IMG_1232.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 2

and finally, a glorious sail-away.  One that we missed dinner for!

(don't worry, we had room service later) 🙂

The first photo shows the Titanic Memorial 1912-2012

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, sansterre said:

Tours with Locals.  Michael was our tour guide;  he was excellent.  Tours with Locals in Cork was easy to work with - very responsive and helpful.

Thank you very much , great photos . Have a great day today .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Dublin doesn't disappoint.  It should be a mostly sunny day with temperatures in the low 60's, chance of intermittent showers.

We have been here on Voyage of the Vikings 2018 when it overnighted in Dublin.

This time we have a 3:00 tour at Trinity College to learn about and see the Book of Kells.

We will take the shuttle into town;  it is $20 per person round trip.  Then walk a to Trinity College to pick up the tour.

There will be a program of musicians, singers, and dancers tonight on the ship at 9:00, a group called Celtic Storm.

On 8/1/2019 at 12:40 PM, sansterre said:

I'll have a difficult time getting DH to seek out yarn shops.  But you know if I see one, we will definitely stop!  Last year (did I mention we did the Voyage of the Vikings last year?) I bought yarn in the grocery store in Nanortalik.  It was wool and made in Greenland!  It was a bit coarse, but knit up into several hats.

I also bought some beautiful yarn in Scotland which I brought with me on this cruise.

We don't go to Scotland this year, but have three stops in Ireland this time.

I just realised I met you on the Volendam three years ago on the repositioning cruise from Vancouver to Hong Kong!  We had a little craft group going and you were knitting.  I was doing patchwork.  Enjoying your posts but have a lot of catching up to do.  

Belfast was beautiful today.  It was a warm, sunny day and great for photographing the "Top 5" in the Belfast area. The Giant's Steps were amazing!  I can't wait to share my photographs with you.  Three ports in three days is never easy and we had long tours in each one.  

I feel a bit better today and look forward to a sea day tomorrow and catching up with photos of both Dublin and Belfast.

• Like 1

We are now about half way between Ireland and Iceland, SW of the Faroe Islands.  The ship is sailing  NNW at nearly 340 degrees with 17 knot winds.  Our port tomorrow is Djupivogur on the SE coast of Iceland.  Seas are a bit rough today, but the Zuiderdam sail smoothly through them.  It is 55 degrees with occasional rain.  

Three ports in three days, while trying to get over a cold that won't go away, was exhausting.  I enjoyed sleeping in today:-)   As well, we set our clocks back an hour last night 🙂

Now we go back to Monday and photos of Dublin!   Photos are uploading very slowly so I'll just do three this time and try again after 2:00 trivia.  I have many more wonderful moments to share. 

These are in Trinity College.  First the Bell Tower - the other two failed to upload.  Perhaps I should have bought the most expensive internet!? 

More of Book of Kells later.

IMG_1280.jpg

• Like 3

The first photo is the information center at Trinity College.  Graduate students wear brown cloaks, reminding us of Harry Potter.  This friendly group of students helped us find our Book of Kells Tour and were helpful to many others.

Photo 2 and 3:  large Illustrations of pages from the Book of Kells.  It is thought that the Vikings once took off with the Gold cover, but left the book itself.  The book went through many other traumatic occasions;  it is amazing that the pages survived.  Nathan was our guide for the two hour tour.  He is a student at Trinity College - undergraduate, so has no brown cloak, yet.

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

• Like 1

Uploading photos two by two now.  This will take eons!  I must be more selective.

These two photos are of the "Long Room" - the library at Trinity College.

Nathan explained that books are shelved in an odd manner.  To the best of their knowledge, the smaller books are on top shelves, and larger books are on bottom shelves.  Most of the books are 18th century.

Books are available for graduate students to look at.

IMG_1306.jpg

The statue is of "D Swift", Dean Swift aka Jonathan Swift who also spoke frequently at St. Patrick's church.  

IMG_1316.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 2

More photos from Monday (Dublin).

Being selective, I chose Butler's Chocolate store for the first photo.  We stopped for directions and left with a Carmel Crunch Bar 🙂

Then a couple interesting buildings we passed by.  Love the streetlight in the second one.

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

Finally,  the view from the Canaletto Restaurant at 8:30, where we had dinner prior to leaving the port of Dublin.

IMG_1332.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 2