LIVE from the ZUIDERDAM - VOYAGE OF THE VIKINGS

sansterre

I am currently on the Zuiderdam in Sydney, Nova Scotia about to complete my mini VotV cruise, which was 17 days from Rotterdam to Boston.  It was my 10th anniversary of my Voyage of the Vikings on the Maasdam in 2009.

We have had good weather for the most part and made every port including St Pierre that we missed in 2009. Only Akurari Iceland was cold and rainy most of the day. Today is our first hot day, nearly 30 (85f).

Prins Christian Sund  was a highlight as it was in 2009.

Zuiderdam is showing her age at 17, but overall has been delightful. Her new tenders were appreciated. 

20190722_151833.jpg

20190722_114422.jpg

20190722_103016.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

I am currently on the Zuiderdam in Sydney, Nova Scotia about to complete my mini VotV cruise, which was 17 days from Rotterdam to Boston.  It was my 10th anniversary of my Voyage of the Vikings on the Maasdam in 2009.

We have had good weather for the most part and made every port including St Pierre that we missed in 2009. Only Akurari Iceland was cold and rainy most of the day. Today is our first hot day, nearly 30 (85f).

Zuiderdam is showing her age at 17, but overall has been delightful. Her new tenders were appreciated. 

20190722_151833.jpg

20190722_114422.jpg

20190722_103016.jpg

Looking forward to your future reports and pix!  We've been to a lot of the ports at one time or another, via car (NE-Can) and/or ships (most of your ports).  Also, enjoyed our time on the Zuiderdam on an EB TA in April 2017.

Finally, I am on Navigator Internet.

Last night, it would not permit me to register......told me my name and/or birthday was incorrect and I should check with the front desk to see what is wrong.  It was my maiden name, I need to put that in along with my first name where it asks for first name.

Today, the Navigator had me in the cabin we were in last March on the Zuiderdam Panama Canal Cruise!  Somehow, with the help of the front desk we got that resolved.  Oh my!

I am happy to report that the Zuiderdam is sailing through very smooth waters, having left Bar Harbor at 18:00 tonight headed for Sydney, Canada.  We enjoyed a warm day in Bar Harbor, Maine with temperatures in the 80's.  Having been here many times, DH and I walked around the town a bit, bought some maple syrup to use at breakfast, and took a few photos of the lovely flowers (to be posted later).

Since Dave is also posting about this cruise, it may get a bit confusing to readers, but it seems that he will be posting more frequently and including more ship information.  OTOH, I plan to focus mostly on ports.  But I'm happy to answer questions to the extent possible too.

• Like 4

On 7/28/2019 at 1:13 AM, TiogaCruiser said:

Following. Have a great trip. 

Mare you planning on a few “yarn stops”?

I'll have a difficult time getting DH to seek out yarn shops.  But you know if I see one, we will definitely stop!  Last year (did I mention we did the Voyage of the Vikings last year?) I bought yarn in the grocery store in Nanortalik.  It was wool and made in Greenland!  It was a bit coarse, but knit up into several hats.

I also bought some beautiful yarn in Scotland which I brought with me on this cruise.

We don't go to Scotland this year, but have three stops in Ireland this time.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2019 at 6:11 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

Great reports and pictures.

Yes they are great reports and pictures, but just to clarify:

St. Pete Cruiser was on the cruise prior to ours.  The Zuiderdam left Rotterdam 17 days ago, sailing to Boston.  Every year the Voyage of the Vikings makes three trips across the North Atlantic.  Thus Europeans and North Americans can all make the round trip Voyage of the Vikings.  Of course, one could just do a one way voyage too.

St. Pet Cruiser arrived in Boston yesterday morning.  For the crew, it must be very difficult to finish a 17 day cruise and head out on another 17 day cruise on the same day.  What a turn-around day for the room stewards especially!  

We left Boston around 10:00 last night, arriving Bar Harbor at 10:00 this morning in heavy fog.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sansterre said:

I'll have a difficult time getting DH to seek out yarn shops.  But you know if I see one, we will definitely stop!  Last year (did I mention we did the Voyage of the Vikings last year?) I bought yarn in the grocery store in Nanortalik.  It was wool and made in Greenland!  It was a bit coarse, but knit up into several hats.

I also bought some beautiful yarn in Scotland which I brought with me on this cruise.

We don't go to Scotland this year, but have three stops in Ireland this time.

When we were in Bergen last month we passed by a really nice yarn store on the way to the maritime museum (before St John’s). I went in but only looked (and lusted) and wished I could knit. And I thought of you and how you were looking for yarn in SA.

(I’ve got a multi-year Irish crochet project going now.)

1 hour ago, sansterre said:

Yes they are great reports and pictures, but just to clarify:

St. Pete Cruiser was on the cruise prior to ours.  The Zuiderdam left Rotterdam 17 days ago, sailing to Boston.  Every year the Voyage of the Vikings makes three trips across the North Atlantic.  Thus Europeans and North Americans can all make the round trip Voyage of the Vikings.  Of course, one could just do a one way voyage too.

St. Pet Cruiser arrived in Boston yesterday morning.  For the crew, it must be very difficult to finish a 17 day cruise and head out on another 17 day cruise on the same day.  What a turn-around day for the room stewards especially!  

We left Boston around 10:00 last night, arriving Bar Harbor at 10:00 this morning in heavy fog.

Know all about the fog in Bar Harbor.

RetiredMustang is on your cruise and has started a his own thread.

12 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Know all about the fog in Bar Harbor.

RetiredMustang is on your cruise and has started a his own thread.

Yes, I met Dave at our Meet and Greet this morning (pictures tonight!

It's all good -  seems that our blogs will be very different.  He will included a lot of things I won't.  And no doubt I'll post some things he won't.  My only concern is that it might confuse those reading.  The title of the threads are very similar.

This is our first sea day  - so enjoying a very calm sail through more fog.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, sansterre said:

This is our first sea day  - so enjoying a very calm sail through more fog.

Glad to see you and your DH once more on line.

Lois had knee replacement on Monday snd the other maybe in October-November.

Eric and I are being tossed out, so to speak,  and will be on a B2B Norway, Spain and ending in Rome in end of September. Her knee operation X'd her out of this cruise.

We could use you on this cruise for trivia!

Have a good voyage!

Tom

On 7/27/2019 at 1:21 PM, St Pete Cruiser said:

SANSTERRE:  I tried to find a similar cruise like this on HAL website: was it a special of some sort?  I can't find anything like it for next summer.

On 8/1/2019 at 3:10 PM, tommui987 said:

Glad to see you and your DH once more on line.

Lois had knee replacement on Monday snd the other maybe in October-November.

Eric and I are being tossed out, so to speak,  and will be on a B2B Norway, Spain and ending in Rome in end of September. Her knee operation X'd her out of this cruise.

We could use you on this cruise for trivia!

Have a good voyage!

Tom

TOM!  How wonderful to hear from you.  We often talk about our trivia team with you, Lois, and Eric!  Do you remember Gary?  He is on this cruise and we are playing trivia again together.

Please give Lois my best.  I had one knee replacement which turned out just so-so.  I wish Lois a fast and complete recovery.

• Like 1

Tonight we sail smoothly from Cornerbrook, Newfoundland to Red Bay, Labrador.  We are on a course of 17degrees North at 15 knots.  Captain Vaartjes told us that there are currently several icebergs near Red Bay.  The area of the Atlantic near Red Bay is called "Iceberg Alley". 

DH and I took this cruise last year but Red Bay was one of two ports we were unable to stop at due to wind, waves, and currents.  I'm looking forward to tendering in this year.  The remoteness and the whaling past of Red Bay greatly interests me.  However, we will finally have some colder weather;  the forecast is for a high of 50 degrees and 100 percent chance of rain.  

First, I will attempt to post some photos from our earlier ports.  I couldn't resist taking a photo while still at the Boston dock of this beautiful PINK freighter which was nearby.  

Photos take a long time to upload - much longer than those I posted while on Roll Call at home.  However, I have chosen a busy time for WIFI - 10:30 at night.  (Newfoundland time is 30 minutes ahead of Nova Scotia time.).  Note to self:  Remember that Internet on board is much faster early in the morning.  

While I'm waiting for the upload, I'll share a few things happening around the ship.  

The entertainment tonight was Annie Francis, a delightful singer who has been entertaining on Holland America ships fo about 15 years.  We always enjoy her energetic performances.

Other entertainers on board are The Knights, Vocal Performers, Akos Laki, Instrumentalist, Nestor Santurio, Instumentalist, and Kelly McDonald, Comedian.

We find ourselves missing the HAL Singers and Dancers who would perform twice a week during the cruises.  IMO, it was nice to have a full stage performance now and then, even if you had seen that performance on your last cruise.

In the Billboard Lounge most every night are the dueling pianos and their players, Justin and Rachel.  

And the B.B.King's All Stars are at 8:15, 9:15, and 10:15.

There is a group of 5 young people who give three performances in the Exploration Lounge/Lincoln Center Stage. Tonight it was a pianist only.  They sound wonderful as we rush from dinner to Trivia at 7:00 in the Gallery Bar.

Trivia, both afternoon and evening is given by Erica, the Assistant Cruise Director.  Prizes are still the pins which aren't really prizes anymore;  they just sit there for anyone who wants one or more.

EXC Talks about the ports and cruising area seem to be given by the Cruise Direct/Travel guide, Jonathan Beaumont.   There is also a quest speaker on board; she spoke Basque Whalers and Cod Fishers

IMG_0036.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here is a photo of the new tenders just recently put into use on the Zuiderdam.  

The difference I noticed most was the height of the vessel.  Notice how the driver sits much higher than the passengers.  Although the tenders don't look much different when up on the Zuiderdam, there must be a difference of several feet in height. I'll ask the captain more about this when the opportunity arises. I am thinking that partially obstructed ocean view cabins might be a bit more obstructed with these new tenders.

IMG_0045.jpg

Finally, a photo of Bar Harbor.  Temperatures were in the 80's, flowers (hydrangeas in this photo) were spectacular!  We have been here many times, so today we wandered around the town and bought a few more supplies for the cruise ahead.

IMG_0054.jpg

Edited by sansterre

Here is our Meet and Greet!  This is during the Raffle/Gift Exchange which took up most of the hour.

I didn't count, but the Billboard on Board was full of Roll Call Members so must have been at least 100.

IMG_0065 (1).jpg

• Like 1