LIVE from the ZUIDERDAM - VOYAGE OF THE VIKINGS

sansterre

2 hours ago, sansterre said:

I also love the whale and puffin photos by scuba cruiser above.  Thanks for sharing them!

You're welcome . We hope that you were able to make your church service this morning . Would it help you and the readers if we share some photos from our visit Akureyri  ?

Hverir boiling mud pit

IMG_5582%202_zpsey1scp7o.jpg

Dettifoss

IMG_0483%203_zps5fi2t0e7.jpg

Myvatn Nature Baths

IMG_5737%202_zpsfrgv52qy.jpg

Godafoss

IMG_5794%202_zpsdq3xmsqq.jpg

• Like 2

I'll chime in here too with a picture of us in Akureyri last year.   Rotterdam is on the right; I forget what other Dam ship was in with us.  We did have some clouds here and there thru the day but for the most part, it was not what I've usually experience here.

Linda R.

1630224887_ScreenShot2019-08-11at10_25_19AM.png.1140ab62d8cc731f225b96147b1a20db.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

I'll chime in here too with a picture of us in Akureyri last year.   Rotterdam is on the right; I forget what other Dam ship was in with us.  We did have some clouds here and there thru the day but for the most part, it was not what I've usually experience here.

Linda R.

1630224887_ScreenShot2019-08-11at10_25_19AM.png.1140ab62d8cc731f225b96147b1a20db.png

Very nice photo Linda . We asked our guide to stop here for a photo in the morning but he said that he would stop later . You need to stop when the light is right and it wasn't good later .

11 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Very nice photo Linda . We asked our guide to stop here for a photo in the morning but he said that he would stop later . You need to stop when the light is right and it wasn't good later .

I actually got that photo across the water as we drove along; we didn't stop.  I was lucky!

Linda R.

4 hours ago, sansterre said:

Wind 24 mph and rain with temperatures in the 40's is not attractive this morning.

Last year when we were here it was a bright and sunny day

Wow, this is making me realize how lucky we were last year with the weather.  

Loving your photos and updates!

5 hours ago, Darlirious said:

Godafoss Waterfall this morning on tour.

3DF171DD-88CC-493A-AFB6-E11244B12DDC.jpeg

love all these photos from today.  It seems like weather outside of town was much nicer than here in Akureyri.

All photos and comments are welcome, but I'd prefer to see photos from this cruise..

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 3

At 9:00 (in 30 minutes) we should be crossing the Arctic circle.  

We looked for a good map on the television, but there are none that show much detail.

We also are going into the storm as we leave Iceland.  The captain listed the precautions we should take about stowing away loose items in the cabin, staying away from outside decks and verandas, wearing sensible shoes, etc.  45 mph winds and 20 foot waves are expected throughout the night.

Currently, the winds are 30 mph, seas are looking a bit angry, and we are feeling a little motion of the ocean.  Should rock us all to sleep tonight!

Just a quick post to let you know the Zuiderdam weathered the storm.  We are through the worst of it.  

The seas today are calming down, and ship is sailing well.

We had breakfast in the Main Dining Room this morning.  It wasn't too busy but all is well.

The captain just game a brief report that waves were 7.5 meters and winds gusted higher than expected.  He said we out-ran the storm.

On to Norway!   Rain is predicted for our next 5 ports, but hopefully just scattered light rain showers.

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

Found this online.  Definitely looks like you will be "in it" for a bit.  At least it's going west while you are going east!  Time on this is for 1AM London time.  Hang on!

Linda R.

Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 5.08.42 PM.png

Thanks for posting this.  I've been looking for a weather forecast on BBC to see what the storm looks like.

Here are a couple of photographs. This was from Prins Christian Sound. You got this iceberg from an angle but I guess it was never really facing the port side. Regrettably there is nothing that gives you a sense of scale:

IMG_3019.thumb.jpeg.f05b6473d44a878503b9aa9bea3c6e30.jpegAnd this was us in port yesterday.

IMG_3025.thumb.jpeg.574c3f2176806a197edaa50ca8b52139.jpeg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, sansterre said:

love all these photos from today.  It seems like weather outside of town was much nicer than here in Akureyri.

All photos and comments are welcome, but I'd prefer to see photos from this cruise..

As would I.

5 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

Here are a couple of photographs. This was from Prins Christian Sound. You got this iceberg from an angle but I guess it was never really facing the port side. Regrettably there is nothing that gives you a sense of scale:

IMG_3019.thumb.jpeg.f05b6473d44a878503b9aa9bea3c6e30.jpegAnd this was us in port yesterday.

IMG_3025.thumb.jpeg.574c3f2176806a197edaa50ca8b52139.jpeg

Thanks for posting these.  Yes, I barely got the iceberg from the aft lido deck.  I first saw it when grabbing a bite to eat in the lido.  WOW - looked like the size of a small ship or very big boat.

The seas have calmed down today, the sun is out, and the sky is blue.   What a change in the weather!

Let's hope it stays this way!

Lectures about Iceland today given by Dr. Tommie Sue and Dr. Craig Cormick.  As well, Jessica, the Travel Host, talked about Norway and Bergen in particular.  It is always standing room only for her talks about upcoming ports of call. 

There is no Trivia tonight as the assistant cruise director has another event to be at and apparently no one else can give the questions.  So we will have a more leisurely dinner in the MDR then the show. Tonight's entertainment is Ronald Moray, Dutch Master of Magic and Comedy.

23 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

I'm glad you left early and got thru the rough weather during the night.  Did it keep you awake and where is your room?

We are on Deck 6, just forward of the aft elevators, port side.  I slept better than I have previously on this cruise.  We watched a comedy movie on television.  That silliness and the ship's motion must have put me right to sleep until about 4:00 when the worst of the storm was over.

One thing that made it more comforting to me was that it was light outside.  It wasn't bright, but light enough that you could see the waves.  While the seas were raging, it was nice to be able to see it instead of wondering what things were like.  (I looked out around 11:00 and then again around 4:00.)

Edited by sansterre

12 minutes ago, sansterre said:

We are on Deck 6, just forward of the aft elevators, port side.  I slept better than I have previously on this cruise.  We watched a comedy movie on television.  That silliness and the ship's motion must have put me right to sleep until about 4:00 when the worst of the storm was over.

One thing that made it more comforting to me was that it was light outside.  It wasn't bright, but light enough that you could see the waves.  While the seas were raging, it was nice to be able to see it instead of wondering what things were like.  (I looked out around 11:00 and then again around 4:00.)

I think your room is well positioned, except maybe lower would be even better.  Ah yes, the lighter skies this time of year would help, too.

If it makes you feel better, know that it is typical Florida summer here:  very warm and very humid with spotty to heavy rain nearly every day.  

We will be on Zaandam next year for Voyage of the Vikings. I have also been reading Dave's reports. He has posted the daily When and Where.

Karen is a knitter and I noticed that there is nothing in the When and Where about needleworkers getting together on sea days. Are you? Seattle has been lax on that, they would rather have ping pong players meet!

Jim