Cruise Critic Community
FrankLasVegas

Edge Suite Experience - Your Opinions

Hello all:

For those of your that have experienced The Retreat on the Edge - did you feel the size of the spaces, number of personnel, etc. handled the number of people with access to those areas or were there times when things were too crowded to enjoy?

Did you experience any issues with The Retreat Lounge, Pool Deck, Sun Deck, Luminae areas at all?

Thank you in advance for your input.

We were in Sky Suites on the Edge in Nov for a couple of days, Dec for 3 days and January for a week.

Retreat Lounge: plenty of space - never felt crowded. It was a pretty quiet and relaxing space. The drinks were good - the servers were visible most of the time. We only had to wait more than 5 minutes for someone to take our order once or twice. We missed not having the free-standing bar in the Lounge and I think we would have given it 5 stars, if it had a bar. The first day of each cruise, the concierges were very busy and actually had a line at the podium by the door some of the time. There were two concierges in there on the first days of our cruises. Other days, there seemed to be only one at a time were in there, but all our needs were met. We had more personalized service on the less full initial cruises - in January it felt like the concierges were very busy, when only one person was available. We liked the addition of the outside area of the Retreat Lounge (as opposed to other ships' Retreats and Michael's Clubs). We enjoyed sitting out there looking at the ocean having continental breakfast, afternoon bites and/or drinks. It was totally covered and protected from the wind - usually very quiet.

The Retreat Sundeck: exceeded our expectations. There are two sections - the front section by the pool, hot tub and bar and then the "back forty" by the Solarium dome. The atmosphere was vibrant by the pool on a nice day, meaning that there were a good number of people having fun, but it still felt low key and relaxing. We never had trouble getting the very comfortable loungers (and usually could get a double one). The back forty was the place to go if you wanted a very quiet atmosphere - I would go there to read. The bar service covered both areas, though I think the front half had better service (excellent bar service actually). They would offer food from the limited menu as well - it was a nice place to have lunch.

Luminae is gorgeous and had great service on our cruises. We were greeted by name the second day and given the same table and waiter most of the time. On the January cruise, they had requested that we give them a ballpark dinner time each night, which led me to believe that they had had some issues with accommodating everyone. The first lunch and last breakfast were very crowded and had service slow. The rest of the time, though it often got busy, we still had excellent service. We didn't find it loud, but it may have been because of our usual table location. I think that when boarding the next time in a suite, I would get there earlier for lunch and probably would skip Luminae for breakfast on the last day. I don't think that they can comfortably accommodate the large number of guests for those two meals when a large percentage of suite guests decide to dine at those times.

I'm sure all of the above varies by cruise - overall we had a very positive Retreat and Luminae experience. 🙂

On the first night I asked the Retreat Lounge concierge to call Luminae to find out whether there was a wait for a table, thinking if there was, I would just sit for a while with my drink. He refused, and said it would be fine.  Got to Luminae and was told there was a  wait and was given a beeper. So back to the lounge with my beeper. 

Luminae - although we were seated in the back of the room, I found the room loud, chaotic and the service quick with a rushed feel. 

Retreat Sundeck - good service but the cruise enjoyed very hot weather, and the venue was not crowded. 

7 hours ago, FrankLasVegas said:

Hello all:

For those of your that have experienced The Retreat on the Edge - did you feel the size of the spaces, number of personnel, etc. handled the number of people with access to those areas or were there times when things were too crowded to enjoy?

Did you experience any issues with The Retreat Lounge, Pool Deck, Sun Deck, Luminae areas at all?

Thank you in advance for your input.

While we really enjoyed the retreat and retreat lounge on the Edge, my only negative comment is the lack of shady spaces.  We always sat on a couch that was covered and comfortable.  Loved the pool albiet small, and hot tub.  The outdoor bar and restaurant was wonderful!  They did have a limited menu for lunch but it was fine.

We were on the second sailing last New Years and the host and hostess in the retreat lounge were the worst we ever had on any Celebrity ship..  They did nothing and were detached from the passengers.  Service was also lacking.  But we figured it was due to the new ship and them not being familiar with what to do- perhaps overwhelmed.  

We are going again on the Edge in a suite this March.  We really enjoyed most aspects of the ship sans Eden dining- a waste IMO

We had a S1 mid ship last March. I enjoyed the sky suite very much. Our butler was great. When I think of the Edge and the outdoor area with little or no covered areas for rain or shade. We were at the Retreat sun deck when it rained. Lunch tables at the bar do not have a solid cover. Staff were sweeping water. Maybe drains not in the right places. The staff in Luminae were great. They had added the every night items to Luminae by our March cruise. Still not many choices for dinner. No lunch menu for children. Luminae is way forward, so was unable to order off the MDR like the other ships. While I did not any problems with feeling seasick. As I said Luminae is all the way forward. Luminae on the Edge has lost the intimate feeling I get on the other Celebrity ships. The drinks are free in the Retreat Lounge, but up at the bar on the Retreat sun deck the drinks are not free. We had all 4 perks so it didn't matter to me, but really charging.

I don't plan on booking any of the Edge Class ships. We cruised 32 times with Celebrity and have 4 cruise book right now all in suites. I'm keeping our next cruise on Eclipse. But planning to cancel our Chile 15 night cruise booked for March (I got a great deal)and do a land trip to Southwest England in May instead. It just might be time to check out other cruise options. Remember the grass is always greener on the other side. We might just come running back. But it will not be on the Edge or sister ships.

We really enjoyed the Retreat Lounge and the service for the most part was very good.  Liked the full wall of floor to ceiling windows.  We did miss not having a bar there and hope they add one in future.  The outside area of Lounge we enjoyed but on our cruise it got crowded quite a bit and sometimes no seating available.

The pool deck was nice, however more shaded areas would be nice.

We were in a suite on Edge in January.  Overall a very good experience but I definitely agree about needing more shade in the Retreat pool area.  We also found the Luminae experience to be different from other ships.  It is a large open area that tends to be somewhat loud.  They need a few partitions to make it less noisy and a bit more intimate.  Maybe on Apex?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

We were in a suite on Edge in January.  Overall a very good experience but I definitely agree about needing more shade in the Retreat pool area.  We also found the Luminae experience to be different from other ships.  It is a large open area that tends to be somewhat loud.  They need a few partitions to make it less noisy and a bit more intimate.  Maybe on Apex?

Also notice that Blu was also in a bad location.  When we were on the ship you couldn't order from the MDR menu.  Heard now you can.  

Perhaps Celebrity is trying to encourage people to book specialty dining.

Edited by Cruise a holic

1 minute ago, Cruise a holic said:

Also notice that Blu was also in a bad location.

Yes maybe but this thread is about suites.

Just now, TeeRick said:

Yes maybe but this thread is about suites.

I know- but this is for information for those who are "on the edge" about a stateroom type!  As a suite guest- we dined in two of the MDR's which we enjoyed more then Luminae.  We are booked this March again on the Edge and now looking forward to a new and improved luminae