Jump to content

Seaside Yacht Club - there has to be a catch, right?


Beardface
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Beardface said:

 

Thank you for this information, it helps reaffirm our excitement over this booking.

 

I'm really not worried about the cabin shower of the Interior YC cabin.  If any of you have sailed Royal Caribbean in recent years, you know just how claustrophobic the showers on their standard balcony rooms can be.  In fact, from pictures, it looks like the Interior showers in the YC might be a slight bit larger than what we have grown used to.  In fact, my wife has only sailed on the Oasis and Freedom on standard balconies with the tiny bathroom, and the only concern she had when looking over the room plan for the YIN is 'does the shower have a lower rail so I can shave my legs like on Royal'.

 

As far as the drink plan...  We have 7 months to figure it all out, but for only $17 pp pd (if that still is the price), to have the option to drink whatever we want whenever we want is... intriguing.

 

Re rail level, my wife cannot remember and my legs have never been shaved!! We agree re shower and cabin size in relation to other cruiselines. We got the cabin steward to remove the nespresso machine and accompanying pieces, and moved the little table, both of which gave more space for other stuff. The cabin itself is 170 sq feet, larger than most cruiseline  inside or outside cabins.

 

My advice re drinks plan is to try it for a day, and if you wish P+ then you can purchase the day after boarding. That way, even with the 15% gratuity, it will pan out the same as buying it pre-cruise....because it is one less day.

 

I am certain that Beamafar, a greater wealth of info' for MSC would be kind enough to post the Connoisseur collection, available with Premier +, to help your decision. Us, we have 45 cruises with 15 cruiselines in total, hence lesser MSC knowledge!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, hamrag said:

 

We got the cabin steward to remove the nespresso machine and accompanying pieces, and moved the little table, both of which gave more space for other stuff.

 

That's a great idea, G.  We never use the coffee machine (and, anyway, all you have to do is pick up the phone and order coffee whenever the urge takes you  😃).

 

Here's the list of drinks in the YC lounge that are not included, unless you have the PremiumPlus package:

 

572459212_YCspiritsprices.png.073ee35743790c18637c9320bb3f4f55.png1604887004_MoreYCspiritsprices.png.d01f7b2072dbd7ec4dbf7ebc59e7e646.png

 

 

... and the wines that PremiumPlus would cover:

 

1122809644_SeasideYCWinesbytheglassprices.png.7c63cd2c3e0f43a4a62b469fb860618f.png

 

... Connoisseurs' Selection items covered by the PremiumPlus package outside of the YC enclave:

 

635250839_ScreenShot2019-07-30at18_02_07.png.08bfd646dc25b018751a04b0b5e7373f.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Beardface said:

The one thing I've seen as a consistent complaint about MSC is that it sounds like the crew is always trying to sell you on something when you're on the ship.  I'm kind of used to saying 'no thanks' just from the constant people knocking on my front door at home, but I assume this kind of solicitation is avoided when you're in the YC?

 

8 hours ago, Beamafar said:

 

Not sure where you got that impression from.  While MSC has increased its sales promotions tactics over recent years, they are certainly not 'in your face' about it.  However, you are quite correct about YC - there is NO solicitation in the enclave.

 

I would just beg to differ for a moment.  We absolutely did encounter sales promotion tactics and solicitation in the YC, right in the top sail lounge and on the YC pool deck (on Seaview in May).  We were asked about specialty dining packages at least 2x (we had already bought the packages, so please stop) and spa I believe 1-2x.  It was a simple matter of saying no thanks, but still found it annoying.  

Edited by kodesthemoose
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Griller - not sure if your post was just edited incorrectly but if you're asking about the value of a regular inside vs a YC inside, it's really not the cabin that makes the difference.  It's the private restaurant, lounge, and pool deck primarily, the escalated level of service, the drink package is of course part of it (but you can of course purchase a drink package separately). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, kodesthemoose said:

 

 

I would just beg to differ for a moment.  We absolutely did encounter sales promotion tactics and solicitation in the YC, right in the top sail lounge and on the YC pool deck (on Seaview in May).  We were asked about specialty dining packages at least 2x (we had already bought the packages, so please stop) and spa I believe 1-2x.  It was a simple matter of saying no thanks, but still found it annoying.  

 

Well ... that's certainly a very recent policy shift!  Even phototgraphers were very limited in their access to the YC.

 

We'll be on in 4 weeks's time - I'll be expressing my displeasure to the YC director at this turn of events if I encounter it.  No way do I want to see that.   By all means, put flyers in the cabins, advertising the restaurants and Spa treatments.  One of the reasons for choosing YC is because of it being a haven of tranquillity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Beamafar said:

 

Well ... that's certainly a very recent policy shift!  Even phototgraphers were very limited in their access to the YC.

 

We'll be on in 4 weeks's time - I'll be expressing my displeasure to the YC director at this turn of events if I encounter it.  No way do I want to see that.   By all means, put flyers in the cabins, advertising the restaurants and Spa treatments.  One of the reasons for choosing YC is because of it being a haven of tranquillity.

We didn’t experience this at all on the Divina! The only time we saw anything relating to sales was a stall for Effy in the concierge area and that was only on 1 day for a few hours  oh and a lady from the spa on the day we boarded for if we wanted to make any appointments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't remember anything being pushed on me on my YC March 2019 cruise....well, except when I walked into the specialty dining area (across from the YC main entrance) and there was a push to book.

 

You will have a good time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, xcell said:

I don't remember anything being pushed on me on my YC March 2019 cruise....well, except when I walked into the specialty dining area (across from the YC main entrance) and there was a push to book.

 

You will have a good time. 

Agreed.  Actually, we liked a change in March 2019 that we didn't get in 2018.  In the Top Sail Lounge on embarkation day, a person from the spa was there.  They didn't solicit, but my DW was able to ask a butler to have the woman come over so my wife could make her spa reservations.  Nice touch, and saved a trip down to the spa.

Only other 'solicitation' was the waiters walking through the pool deck.  They didn't try and sell, and you had to ask them to stop and talk to you if you were interested.  Again, no hard sell at all!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Beamafar said:

 

That's a great idea, G.  We never use the coffee machine (and, anyway, all you have to do is pick up the phone and order coffee whenever the urge takes you  😃).

 

Here's the list of drinks in the YC lounge that are not included, unless you have the PremiumPlus package:

 

572459212_YCspiritsprices.png.073ee35743790c18637c9320bb3f4f55.png1604887004_MoreYCspiritsprices.png.d01f7b2072dbd7ec4dbf7ebc59e7e646.png

 

 

... and the wines that PremiumPlus would cover:

 

1122809644_SeasideYCWinesbytheglassprices.png.7c63cd2c3e0f43a4a62b469fb860618f.png

 

... Connoisseurs' Selection items covered by the PremiumPlus package outside of the YC enclave:

 

635250839_ScreenShot2019-07-30at18_02_07.png.08bfd646dc25b018751a04b0b5e7373f.png

Thanks Bea for posting.

 

Is it just me or are the prices higher in the YC than outside the YC.  For example, Hendricks is more expensive in the YC.

 

Also are you able to purchase/try the premium plus package for one day before purchasing for the entire cruise.  I think that someone suggested that approach in an earlier post.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jmele999 said:

Thanks Bea for posting.

 

Is it just me or are the prices higher in the YC than outside the YC.  For example, Hendricks is more expensive in the YC.

 

Also are you able to purchase/try the premium plus package for one day before purchasing for the entire cruise.  I think that someone suggested that approach in an earlier post.  

 

 

 

Well spotted on the price differences!  The menus are from different ships (the Connoisseurs' Selection page being from Armonia) which may explain it ... though that's some price difference!  If I get a chance (and if I remember to) I'll check this out when on Meraviglia in October.

 

You can't try out a drinks package for just one day - you must buy it for the duration of the cruise.  What was suggested earlier on was that a poster should try out their included package, then upgrade on the second day (you have the first 2 days onboard to decide on a drinks package) if they still feel the need to upgrade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, nikkiw60 said:

We didn’t experience this at all on the Divina! The only time we saw anything relating to sales was a stall for Effy in the concierge area and that was only on 1 day for a few hours  oh and a lady from the spa on the day we boarded for if we wanted to make any appointments.

 

Exactly the same for us on Divina in February. A lady from the spa in the TSL the first day and Effy one afternoon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks to all for the excellent discussion on the discount for certain categories of employees and retirees.  I know that many lines have discounts for military personnel, but have never before encountered one for educational personnel. 

 

We have recently booked our first MSC trip for February on Meraviglia on YC from Miami.  We were a bit disappointed to learn that the YC area on the private island would not yet be completed and that we were a bit too early for free WIFI, and that my chocolate fix would not be as complete as on other ships, due to a different vendor. 

 

But then I read about a possible discount for my 45 years as an educator and contacted MSC directly.   Easily explained by the phone contact, sent in an edited copy of my pension account, and happily got a $400+ discount!  That will buy our WIFI needs, some chocolate if needed after YC desserts, and provide money toward crew tips. 

 

Thanks again!   We look forward to new experiences and people and certainly to YC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, cathep said:

Is the upgrade to Premium Plus still overriding the YC access to Venchi on the Seaside?

 

What?  Are you saying that purchasing an add-on to the plan you already have in the YC has been taking away some perks you get elsewhere, like the gelato bar?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Beardface said:

 

What?  Are you saying that purchasing an add-on to the plan you already have in the YC has been taking away some perks you get elsewhere, like the gelato bar?

Premium Plus on Seaside YC is not a current benefit.  You are closer to a Premium plan in YC, although MSC says there is no "plan" in the YC.  To go Premium and get drinks over $12 (or glasses of champagne, JW Blue, etc., for example) It would cost you $17/person/day.  There is limited gelato available in YC.  Just ask.  If you reserved YC before November 2018, you are not impacted by the new drink plan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JAGR said:

Premium Plus on Seaside YC is not a current benefit.  You are closer to a Premium plan in YC, although MSC says there is no "plan" in the YC.  To go Premium and get drinks over $12 (or glasses of champagne, JW Blue, etc., for example) It would cost you $17/person/day.  There is limited gelato available in YC.  Just ask.  If you reserved YC before November 2018, you are not impacted by the new drink plan.

 

Yes, I understand this.  What I'm saying is that, as I understand it, the gelato in Venchi should be complimentary to YC guests, or has that changed.  And if it is complimentary, then I'm asking for clarification on why that would suddenly change if you decided to pay the additional $17pp pd for the official premium plus plan?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JAGR said:

Premium Plus on Seaside YC is not a current benefit.  You are closer to a Premium plan in YC, although MSC says there is no "plan" in the YC.  To go Premium and get drinks over $12 (or glasses of champagne, JW Blue, etc., for example) It would cost you $17/person/day.  There is limited gelato available in YC.  Just ask.  If you reserved YC before November 2018, you are not impacted by the new drink plan.

I keep reading different things about cost of premium plus, we are in yacht club and did book before November 2018, is info on cost documented thanks, travel agent is saying I would cost 50 a day to move to premium plus per person,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, George C said:

I keep reading different things about cost of premium plus, we are in yacht club and did book before November 2018, is info on cost documented thanks, travel agent is saying I would cost 50 a day to move to premium plus per person,

Beamafar cited the $17 rate for her sailing from NY to Miami on Meraviglia, and others have as well.  Someone on Seaside this week has posted on another cannot be named site, that since she booked before November 2018, she can get the $13 smoked drinks in the Wine and Cocktail Bar by the specialty restaurants at no charge, and the same goes for the Venchi Chocolate martinis, crepes and gelato.  If you want substantion, think "MSC Yacht Club" interest group.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Beardface said:

 

Yes, I understand this.  What I'm saying is that, as I understand it, the gelato in Venchi should be complimentary to YC guests, or has that changed.  And if it is complimentary, then I'm asking for clarification on why that would suddenly change if you decided to pay the additional $17pp pd for the official premium plus plan?

Where did you read that it was still complimentary?  Print it out and bring it with you if you are charged.  Paying extra does not take that away from you.  Not sure where you are thinking the Premium Plus takes something from you.  It adds the premium drinks only.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Where did you read that it was still complimentary?  Print it out and bring it with you if you are charged.  Paying extra does not take that away from you.  Not sure where you are thinking the Premium Plus takes something from you.  It adds the premium drinks only.

 

I'm not sure why the attitude, I'm just asking a clarifying question.  Can someone please give me a clear answer here?  Clearly something might have changed in the recent past and it would be nice to know what did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Beardface said:

 

I'm not sure why the attitude, I'm just asking a clarifying question.  Can someone please give me a clear answer here?  Clearly something might have changed in the recent past and it would be nice to know what did.

Sorry. No "attitude" intended.  Just saying that Premium Plus has no impact on any YC experience other than the drinks, as far as I know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/6/2019 at 9:23 AM, JAGR said:

Sorry. No "attitude" intended.  Just saying that Premium Plus has no impact on any YC experience other than the drinks, as far as I know.

I'd seen some experiences where the upgrade to Premium Plus seemed to take away the YC designation and therefore took away gelato outside of the YC.  I can't remember if drinks in Venchi were included.  Our focus with kids is on the gelato.  I wasn't sure if that had been resolved yet.  Are you saying that they've changed it so that Premium Plus now allows free gelato on Seaside if you're also in YC?  

Edited by cathep
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, cathep said:

... Are you saying that they've changed it so that Premium Plus now allows free gelato on Seaside if you're also in YC?  

 

Premium Plus is stand along, and not aligned to YC in any respect other than the fact the pricing from YC to P+ is assumed to be the same as from Pemium to P+ i.e. about $17/18 or euros pppd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...