Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

A warning to do what? shoot them down?

To send the names of the people involved that work for Cathay Pacific that were involved in the protests.

 

I think this is going to get a lot worse. Some of the footage today, the escalation of violence has increased. 

 

An independent Hong Kong really ended in 1997. However, its only really dawned now on the people of Hong Kong, that China is only ever about one system, one Government. And the two system approach was a fairytale. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think many have been aware of the risk for some time. It's just now the pressure, the abductions (e.g. the booksellers) and the law changes have increased this past year.

 

It's only one country, two systems for 50 years... and we're halfway there, so they appear like they wanted to start the process of softening now rather than wait to the end.

Edited by The_Big_M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw on the TV new this morning that the protests are staring to have an effect on tourism which is not good for HK.

 

Leigh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

I think many have been aware of the risk for some time. It's just now the pressure, the abductions (e.g. the booksellers) and the law changes have increased this past year.

 

It's only one country, two systems for 50 years... and we're halfway there, so they appear like they wanted to start the process of softening now rather than wait to the end.

yeah, a gradual change rather than an abrupt one. A bit like the frog in the water brought to boil slowly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Beijing might want to move the goal posts before 2047.😮  Standby for more immigration applications to Australia from HK.

Edited by NSWP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, possum52 said:

I saw on the TV new this morning that the protests are staring to have an effect on tourism which is not good for HK.

 

Leigh

Cheaper Airfares and hotels then in HK for some who are prepared to have an adventure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Cheaper Airfares and hotels then in HK for some who are prepared to have an adventure.

I will be there in December, hoping the issues have died down by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Monday afternoon ...Now hearing reports that airport has shut down. 

yep, not good at all, only flights that have had check-in started will be completed and only flights on their way already allowed to land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Qantas cancelled their HK flights today from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisvegas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Qantas cancelled their HK flights today from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisvegas.

So did Air New Zealand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2019 at 11:10 AM, pisamoorings said:

So did Air New Zealand.

These riots are really impacting on the airlines, cancellations nearly every day.  I wonder if the travel insurance companies are paying out for cancelled flights, accommodation etc.

Edited by NSWP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, NSWP said:

These riots are really impacting on the airlines, cancellations nearly every day.  I wonder if the travel insurance companies are paying out for cancelled flights, accommodation etc.

 

The Chinese government has called the protesters "terrorists". A lot of insurance won't pay out in the event of terrorism so I wouldn't be surprised if some insurance companies use this as a loop hole to not pay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, if you look on the Hong Kong Airport website, 40-50% of departures and arrivals have been cancelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

 

The Chinese government has called the protesters "terrorists". A lot of insurance won't pay out in the event of terrorism so I wouldn't be surprised if some insurance companies use this as a loop hole to not pay. 

 

Perhaps if they're Chinese travellers, with Chinese insurance.

 

But that wouldn't fly for Australian, or most other insurers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...