Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Nippy Sweetie

Does Viking Ocean want UK cruisers?

Recommended Posts

On 7/29/2019 at 9:24 AM, SLSD said:

Hmmmm... I think part of many passengers OBC is mostly a travel agent issue (convention) and not strictly up to the cruise line--whichever it might be. 

 

Not with Viking it's not. Viking sets limits on what the TAs may offer; companies that don't follow their guidelines are not allowed to sell Viking tours. You can no longer book Viking cruises through the travel agency run by one of the big box warehouses (sorry because it is TA, not allowed to name names); the warehouse pricing policy, which they apply to everything they sell, was in conflict with the Viking imposed limits on OBC and gifts to clients.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

Not with Viking it's not. Viking sets limits on what the TAs may offer; companies that don't follow their guidelines are not allowed to sell Viking tours. You can no longer book Viking cruises through the travel agency run by one of the big box warehouses (sorry because it is TA, not allowed to name names); the warehouse pricing policy, which they apply to everything they sell, was in conflict with the Viking imposed limits on OBC and gifts to clients.

Right you are.  I have to admit the rebate on the Inaugural WC was sadly missed on the upcoming one but obviously we wanted to sail Viking.  Have to say don't miss the "status" card waving that goes on on other lines.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

Not with Viking it's not. Viking sets limits on what the TAs may offer; companies that don't follow their guidelines are not allowed to sell Viking tours. You can no longer book Viking cruises through the travel agency run by one of the big box warehouses (sorry because it is TA, not allowed to name names); the warehouse pricing policy, which they apply to everything they sell, was in conflict with the Viking imposed limits on OBC and gifts to clients.

Well, I've never used a big box warehouse TA.  So I would not know about that.  I'm just saying that from reading on CC, I'm leery of Viking.  Everyting sounds like a big hassle--and for what? No casino (I can avoid it on Seabourn)  No children? (luxury cruises  like Seabourn don't have that many--esp. during school months).  I'm not quite seeing the advantages.  On Seabourn these days, it is easy to avoid the dreaded (for some) formal night---dine in a venue other than the main dining room, or just wear a sports coat (if a man) or a simple black dress (if a woman).  I'm really trying to see why I should book Viking (and yes I've read that thread). 

 

Edited by SLSD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Well, I've never used a big box warehouse TA.  So I would not know about that.  I'm just saying that from reading on CC, I'm leery of Viking.  Everyting sounds like a big hassle--and for what? No casino (I can avoid it on Seabourn)  No children? (luxury cruises  like Seabourn don't have that many--esp. during school months).  I'm not quite seeing the advantages.  On Seabourn these days, it is easy to avoid the dreaded (for some) formal night---dine in a venue other than the main dining room, or just wear a sports coat (if a man) or a simple black dress (if a woman).  I'm really trying to see why I should book Viking (and yes I've read that thread). 

 

That's why so many different cruise lines are out there and are selling cabins.  A month after the Viking Inaugural WC we booked an Alaska trip on Seabourn Sojourn.  Couldn't wait to get off Sojourn.  Yes there were kiddies, the "scenic anchorages" left you with no choice but their pricey Zodiac trips, the food was not as good as Viking (I know, very subjective but I am including TK in that), the rooms were nowhere nearly as nicely laid out and the baths were dismal in comparison to Viking.  And no, this was not my first Seabourn cruise but likely the last.  Just one person's comparison but since it is mine, I listen to me......🍸

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

That's why so many different cruise lines are out there and are selling cabins.  A month after the Viking Inaugural WC we booked an Alaska trip on Seabourn Sojourn.  Couldn't wait to get off Sojourn.  Yes there were kiddies, the "scenic anchorages" left you with no choice but their pricey Zodiac trips, the food was not as good as Viking (I know, very subjective but I am including TK in that), the rooms were nowhere nearly as nicely laid out and the baths were dismal in comparison to Viking.  And no, this was not my first Seabourn cruise but likely the last.  Just one person's comparison but since it is mine, I listen to me......🍸

I totally get what you are saying Jim, but I have difficulty getting beyond the process for signing up for excursions.  Why doesn't Viking just have the excursions that people want available to them easily and without hassle.  And yes, food is subjective.  I am not a huge fan of cruise ship food---too fancy--not fresh enough--etc.  I would like to try Viking, but find some of what passengers go through ahead of the cruise (early final payment, excursion sign up by cabin level, etc) to be off putting.  

Edited by SLSD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SLSD said:

I totally get what you are saying Jim, but I have difficulty getting beyond the process for signing up for excursions.  Why doesn't Viking just have the excursions that people want available to them easily and without hassle.  And yes, food is subjective.  I am not a huge fan of cruise ship food---too fancy--not fresh enough--etc.  I would like to try Viking, but find some of what passenger go through ahead of the cruise (early final payment, excursion sign up, etc) to be off putting.  

And I certainly understand your misgivings.  I think Vikings perceived "perks" of allowing top accommodations early booking is amateurish at best.  I have refused to participate.  Never got up in the middle of the night and really don't know what I want for dinner, much less months from now.  Now the good news, we have always gotten the excursions we want (DV cabin) and are prone to "do our own thing" anyway.  We avoid most of the included "panoramic" bus tours so this so called advantage is of no bother to us.  And once onboard the excellent ship's crew has never had problems adding, changing, cancelling excursions for us and we have had absolutely no problems eating our fill at any of the venues we wish.  It sounds rather intimidating and bothersome but we simply ignore all the angst and love the onboard experience.  Hard to fathom when you are trying to decide to take a chance with a new cruise line but it really does work out in the end.  Since Viking have no diamond/platinum/gold/black card status symbols they had to come up with some reason for someone to pay a bunch extra for bigger cabins.🍸

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's hard to explain exactly why we infinitely prefer Viking to those other lines. There's something about the quiet, absolutely non glitzy, style of the ship. Casinos, children, noisy entertainment etc? For us just no. We thought the food in all the venues was exactly to our European taste. Good fresh stuff. 

I was given OBC when booking direct with Viking. It was in £s and can be used to pay for excursions prior to boarding, then if not used, converted to $ for on board spend. No need for early payment either but that's maybe a UK thing. I paid a deposit and full amount to be paid about 7 weeks prior to boarding. 

 

I did book excursions in the permitted booking window. No problem as we especially don't want early starts or a headlong sightseeing rush. 

We were able to make extra dining reservations easily on board. 

Just try Viking! 

Edited by Nippy Sweetie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PS I'd love to see someone ordering a 'nippy sweetie' in a bar over here in Scotland. You'd either be offered a bag of sweets or an old harridan! 

Just ask for a 'nip' and you'll get a dram.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...