Internet and laundry

sterling2

13 minutes ago, sterling2 said:

Is there somewhere on Holland America’s website to purchase these packages and if so, how far in advance of the cruise are they available. TIA.

Internet is available to purchase but only the premier package (the most expensive).

Totally up to you but I would be tempted to wait until you are onboard as most likely the Surf package will more than do the trick.

Agree with Kazu.  The 'Surf' package is not offered online, but is the most useful of the packages offered.  I have not seen Laundry offered pre cruise (except, I think, on world cruises etc).

If you are looking to defray expenses onboard by pre paying, then suggest you just purchase On Board Credit through the website.  It is fully refundable if you don't use it.

We pre purchased laundry and internet.  I forget how far in advance, but laundry was some months ago, guessing maybe 4 or 5.  Internet was within the last 4 to 6 weks I think.  We went with the top tier package as there was a 20% discount to buy in advance, which put it just a few dollars more than the middle package would be on board.

Can someone please confirm that social allows you to check email?  I do not have a social media account, but, I "think" I have read where despite the description it does enable you to check email.  I only need to be able to check email and maybe do some banking.  We are on a 51 day cruise.  Thank you.  ETA:  After further research it seems my memory was wrong.  It seems I need the surf package to check email, etc.  

Edited by FlorenceItaly

Social is for social media -- Facebook and the like. You will need Surf (middle level). 

1. Social: Per day package, $14.99. (Access the most popular social websites and applications. May not allow for audio/video calling and streaming.)
  2. Surf (most popular): $24.99. (Surf your favorite sites including e-mail, news, sports and more. May not allow for audio/video calling and streaming.)
  3. Premium: $29.99 (From e-mail to streaming, receive the highest volume of data. Supports audio/video calling and streaming where coverage allows.)

I presume the "May Not" qualifications are just HAL's poor writing and editorial practices. You can assume voice and Skype and streaming will only be available with Premium, and also depend in quality on your distance from the equator. That said, my husband joined a conference call from north of France, on the Zuiderdam. As Newbie said, Premium ahead of time may be less than Surf onboard, and then you are covered.

These were the per-cruise rates as of this past spring. We paid $199.99 for 16 days (rack rate of 249.99), or $20 more than Surf would have been on the ship.

Internet rates c-1-2019.png

• Like 1

I'll be on Amsterdam for two weeks leaving August 12, and on impulse I went ahead and bought the premium internet in advance online - because as already mentioned, it was a scant few dollars more than the "surf" would be on board.  I just wanted to have one less "administrative" thing to deal with when I embark.  As for laundry, I don't see any benefit to buying it in advance since it's no sweat to just mark on the first laundry slip you send that you want unlimited.  Unless, as VMax mentioned, you just want to prepay as a budgeting tool. 

Does HAL offer online sales where you can get an increased discount for pre-purchasing the premium Internet package?  My family is sailing HAL for the first time next summer.   All of our past cruises have been on Celebrity, and we have always been able to purchase internet packages during Celebrity's 10 to 20%-off sales (same with shore excursions), which seem to come around every 3-6 months or so.  Does HAL offer periodic sales as well?

9 hours ago, VA_Traveler said:

Does HAL offer periodic sales as well?

I don't know that the discount is periodic - I thought it was a flash sale when I got 20% off premium Internet before our 16-day Transatlantic last spring, but subsequently have read on CC that the 20% off is standard but ONLY off the Premium... Which is what we wanted anyway. 

Scroll up a couple messages and see the chart of prices noting what the Premium is for the length of your voyage... Go to HAL's planner and put in premium for your cruise. See if it reflects the discount. If not, wait until it does? 

Just looked at our booking for the end of March 2020 and we can buy 

premium internet  26-31 days $263.99

Unlimited laundry 28 days $196.00

They are located under the gifts and indulgences.  Then Laundry is under packages.

I am having difficulty finding internet pricing on the website for an upcoming cruise.  We have a student with us who will need on-line access for her nursing classes.  It's a 7 day Eastern Caribbean on Nieuw Amsterdam in November.  Can anyone find the info or relay your recent experience?  Anyone know the quality of the connection?  I suspect the "surf" package will be sufficient.   Thanks.

26 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

Is there a way to just buy a day here and there with out a package?

Yes, 24 hours is $25 if I remember correctly.  I'm not sure if it applies to a calendar day or a 24 hour period starting from when you buy it.

44 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Yes, 24 hours is $25 if I remember correctly.  I'm not sure if it applies to a calendar day or a 24 hour period starting from when you buy it.

24 hour period starting when you buy it.