Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
cynt

I don't know what to title this but hard lesson learned by 1st time cruiser

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

CC did tell GG she needed a passport according to the OP. May get ugly but GG would be at fault and not CC. No reason to feel like crap either if you have ever dealt with someone who is a know-it-all. You can only do so much to try to help some people.

I also would have been after that TA for accurate information or the option to notify the BBB, trip advisor, yelp, etc

 

8 hours ago, CoasterGuy said:

 

CC tried to tell GG once, and GG wouldn't listen. Sounds like GG is a real piece of work and CC got sick of their crap.

 

Right, CC did try to tell her once, but that was before the OP verified the alternate documents they could’ve taken. OP even encouraged CC to go back and let GG known again after she got better information from OP. I’m not denying GG’s bad attitude, but what happened became a slippery slope, especially when dealing with family. CC could’ve tried one more time and told GG that her coworker confirmed she at least needed her BC, but she purposely chose not to. That choice cost someone dearly. Maybe CC didn’t feel bad about that, but there’s a good chance other members of the family would feel differently if they knew CC had the info., but kept it to herself.

 

I don’t think GG was wrong to trust the TA initially. I talked about why in my last comment. But once they started getting info. from someone who cruises, they definitely should’ve started listening to that person’s advice and not the TA so much.

 

Last, by not least... I think we broke the record for most 2-letter initials in a single thread. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the person denied boarding has any recourse against the travel agent who gave the wrong information? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ksflann said:

So silly question do you need to bring marriage license because my birth certificate has my maiden name. 

 

Just another reason why it's worth it to just pay the money and get a passport.  Then you do not need to worry about carrying all kinds of other documents around.  In the long run a passport cost is more than worth it as most people cruise or travel out of the country more than once in their life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ishap said:

most people cruise or travel out of the country more than once in their life.

AND....you will need it IF you need to fly back to your home country in case of emergency.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On our first trip to Europe several years ago, my bag was stolen while on the train from Rome to Civitavecchia. We immediately got off the train at the first available stop and found a police station and filed a report. The Italian police officer handed us some paperwork and stated it would act as our passport throughout the duration of our trip, including being able to board an airplane on our trip home. He was wrong. We got back on the train and continued on to the cruise port. When we got there and tried to board, we were denied. They absolutely would not let us board without our actual passports. 

 

They did state that an official fax from the American Embassy in Rome would have sufficed, but since it was a Sunday, the Embassy was closed. It was a pretty horrible experience.

 

We had to go back to Rome and get a hotel and go to the Embassy first thing Monday morning. We were standing in line with many other travelers who had their passports stolen. Amazingly, they got us replacements quickly and we spent the entire day getting to Sicily to catch the cruise ship on its first stop. We made it by about 15 minutes.

 

(By the way, as a side note, my wallet, credit cards and drivers license were not in the stolen bag. We dodged a bullet in that regard.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mother-in-law misplaced her passport before her last cruise. She had her birth certificate, but for those asking, she WAS asked twice for her marriage certificate as well (I was there so not second hand info...the security guard before the scanners asked for it, then again at the check in desk) It is always better to bring it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, HillBilly Bob said:

AND....you will need it IF you need to fly back to your home country in case of emergency.  

 

Exactly.

 

13 minutes ago, Envelope21 said:

On our first trip to Europe several years ago, my bag was stolen while on the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

 

This is why I never carry my passport in a bag.  Just like my wallet, it is secured on my person so it doesn't get lost.  Anything else can be replaced easily enough as long as I have my wallet and passport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the marriage license - before I got a passport, I travelled with my ID and birth certificate. I also carried my marriage license. The first cruise I went on, I took it and they didn’t ask for it. My second cruise, I didn’t bring it because I hadn’t been asked for it the first time. Of course I got asked for it. As it wasn’t a requirement to have it on me at that point in time, I wasn’t denied boarding, but because of that one instance, I always brought it with me (until I got a passport). So I’d bring it because you’d rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, keywest1 said:

Before we pull out of the driveway, everybody shows me their passport or driver's license/birth certificate, and I show my passport to them.  Eyerolls abound, but I don't care 😀

Ours are in the back pack.  That said when we get in the car, I say passport check, we stop for gas I say passport check before we leave the gas station.   We check into the hotel for the night I say passport check.  Before we leave the room the next morning I say passport check.   Get on the shuttle you got it passport check.   Get off the shuttle one more passport check.  Hubby used to get annoyed but now there are times he will request a passport check before I can say it.  Over kill? Maybe but we've never been without the right documentation 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you insist on thinking you need a TA to book a cruise (we never use them and book all our cruises online unless it's a specific casino cruise promo where you need to book with a HAL agent), use one that is a cruise expert and has cruised before. The TA these people used obviously was a loser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "Brand Ambassador" posted this on his FB page this morning. "Cecelia allegedly blasted him on FB stating how Carnival needs to more to help first time cruisers, and "Cecelia" asked had he read on the "Carnival Cruise boards" about the lady denied boarding not having the proper ID documents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

 

 

From what I've read on here, the women that take them have never been asked for them.  When you got married, you had to show your marriage license to get your name changed on your driver's license.  Now the state is saying that is your legal name.  If you have a passport, that is saying that is your legal name.  

 

What has been recommended on here is that if you are getting married and plan on a honeymoon cruise, book the cruise in your maiden name.  That way, all of the names still match.

My drivers license which had my married name on it for 50 years was not adequate legal proof of my name (nor was my passport) when I attempted to get the enhanced license. I had to obtain marriage license. Different scenario of course but points out that sometimes common sense is not that common.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't think the co-worker is at fault here.  She tried to help, but the sister wouldn't listen.  There are a few things anyone can do to find out what kind of identification is needed.  

 

-You can call Carnival.

-You can look at the FAQ's on the website

-You can search for the answer online

-Ask on Facebook (although I wouldn't do this, you're bound to get a lot of wrong info)

 

Seriously, these were adults, they should be responsible for their own actions (or inaction in this case) at this point.  It sounds like there were people who couldn't be bothered to look for the information needed and relied on others.  Just lazy and irresponsible.

 

We have passports that are in a lock box.  They stay in there until we cruise, then we place them in a document holder my husband wears around his neck until we get to the cabin once we are on the ship.  All my info is in my maiden name.    

 

 

Edited by nofocruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

If you insist on thinking you need a TA to book a cruise (we never use them and book all our cruises online unless it's a specific casino cruise promo where you need to book with a HAL agent), use one that is a cruise expert and has cruised before. The TA these people used obviously was a loser.

Background: CC attended one of those cruise seminars put on by a local TA. They booked the cruise thru the TA. It appears the TA was just a TA that booked cruises but not really a cruiser.

 

I don’t use a TA either unless “forced” to. If a TA presents a special seminar on cruising, one (especially one not used to cruising) would expect them to at least give correct info. 

GG should have lost that trust when CC pointed out the problems but sometimes people are just too stubborn for their own good. I’ll bet this experience didn’t change anything for them either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

The "Brand Ambassador" posted this on his FB page this morning. "Cecelia allegedly blasted him on FB stating how Carnival needs to more to help first time cruisers, and "Cecelia" asked had he read on the "Carnival Cruise boards" about the lady denied boarding not having the proper ID documents.

Cecelia did write to complain how Carnival basically was at fault and should have fixed everything for GG. He posted the enquiry.

 

It should always be understood that Carnival is at fault for people's inability to care for themselves. 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, keywest1 said:

Before we pull out of the driveway, everybody shows me their passport or driver's license/birth certificate, and I show my passport to them.  Eyerolls abound, but I don't care 😀

 

I double check, triple check and sometimes quadruple check on the way to the airport to make sure I have the passports.  No so worried about forgetting anything else because that stuff you can buy on the ship or in port but the passports are not easily replaced.  Even after going through the airport scanner I'm checking again to make sure I put the passports back in my purse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just fetched my passports to make sure all is good.  Personal Responsibility.  Thanks for the reminder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, nofocruiser said:

I don't think the co-worker is at fault here.  She tried to help, but the sister wouldn't listen.  There are a few things anyone can do to find out what kind of identification is needed.  

 

-You can call Carnival.

-You can look at the FAQ's on the website

-You can search for the answer online

-Ask on Facebook (although I wouldn't do this, you're bound to get a lot of wrong info)

 

Seriously, these were adults, they should be responsible for their own actions (or inaction in this case) at this point.  It sounds like there were people who couldn't be bothered to look for the information needed and relied on others.  Just lazy and irresponsible.

 

We have passports that are in a lock box.  They stay in there until we cruise, then we place them in a document holder my husband wears around his neck until we get to the cabin once we are on the ship.  All my info is in my maiden name.    

 

 

 

Great post!  It’s crazy how many people today don’t take personal responsibility for their actions (or lack of action) and always want to blame someone else for something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

 

Great post!  It’s crazy how many people today don’t take personal responsibility for their actions (or lack of action) and always want to blame someone else for something. 

Thanks!  It annoys me when people try to blame their problems on others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a sad and tragic example (and what a terrible family dynamic?), but with so much information available online, and the boarding pass specifically saying that you must have a form of proof of citizenship, I would love to know why they didn't see that? 

 

I do think this is a great example as to why having a passport for traveling is a great idea, yes they are expensive, but it's much more expensive to miss out on an otherwise great vacation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ksflann said:

So silly question do you need to bring marriage license because my birth certificate has my maiden name. 

 

It would be a good idea to ... it (marriage license) would be a bridging document. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

I wonder if the person denied boarding has any recourse against the travel agent who gave the wrong information? 

 

I know there is verbiage on cruise contracts that it is the CRUISER'S responsibility to know exactly what documentation is required to board the cruise ship and for each and every port visited.   

 

Wouldn't (I guess not necessarily) the TA have same type of verbiage in their contract/paperwork/documents?

Edited by CruiseGal999

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sort of feel like adults who aren't wise enough to figure out what kind of documentation they need shouldn't leave the country...

 

I don't recall being confused the first time I went on a cruise. I just assumed that since I was leaving the country, I would need a passport...so i took a passport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If the TA has a website, I would hope CC would write a scathing review.

 

I know a know-it-all and I completely understand how this could happen. I was rather happy to see the outcome (though poor DIL had to be the test case) since it put GG on the spot and reminded her that she really doesn't know everything.

Edited by fyree39

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...