Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
cynt

I don't know what to title this but hard lesson learned by 1st time cruiser

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

We just take a copy of passport—which also goes ashore with us instead of the passport.

That's all well and good but you can't embark with just a copy of the passport, you need the passport.

Edited by sparks1093

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

That's all well and good but you can't embark with just a copy of the passport, you need the passport.

Well of course,  Not JUST a copy. In addition to passport rather than taking BC and an electronic copy of BC along as suggested by others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Well of course,  Not JUST a copy. In addition to passport rather than taking BC and an electronic copy of BC along as suggested by others

 

In all fairness, the person who said they do that did admit that they knew it was overkill. Whatever makes them feel comfortable, doesn’t bother me.

 

When I mentioned that I might do it, I was thinking more along the lines of an electronic copy of our passports instead of carrying around paper copies. If needed, like at a consulate for example, I could ask them to print out the copies that would then aid in getting new passports. 

 

I usually end up having to carry some of my wife’s junk...I mean necessities...like cash, credit card, ID, whatever, because she doesn’t want to carry a purse when we’re doing certain things or she doesn’t have “real pockets.” That’s what she tells me, anyway. So if carrying electronic copies of our passports can save me from carrying around folded up pieces of paper too, I’m all for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Well of course,  Not JUST a copy. In addition to passport rather than taking BC and an electronic copy of BC along as suggested by others

I was just clarifying because someone could read your post and say, "hey, all I need is a copy of my passport to embark". AFAIK only two things may be a copy- a birth certificate and a marriage certificate (as a bridging document). Everything else has to be an original.

Edited by sparks1093

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

 

In all fairness, the person who said they do that did admit that they knew it was overkill. Whatever makes them feel comfortable, doesn’t bother me.

 

When I mentioned that I might do it, I was thinking more along the lines of an electronic copy of our passports instead of carrying around paper copies. If needed, like at a consulate for example, I could ask them to print out the copies that would then aid in getting new passports. 

 

I usually end up having to carry some of my wife’s junk...I mean necessities...like cash, credit card, ID, whatever, because she doesn’t want to carry a purse when we’re doing certain things or she doesn’t have “real pockets.” That’s what she tells me, anyway. So if carrying electronic copies of our passports can save me from carrying around folded up pieces of paper too, I’m all for it.

I have an electronic copy of our passports on my phone and in the cloud. But I have the copy so if I'm filling out a reservation I don't have to go to the safe deposit box to get the passport. The "gravy" is that if something were to happen to our passport we have the copy available if we needed to get a new one from a consulate (since the copy is considered proof of citizenship, which is required to obtain a new passport). But I don't expect much would happen to our passports since we leave them onboard in the cabin safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

 

In all fairness, the person who said they do that did admit that they knew it was overkill. Whatever makes them feel comfortable, doesn’t bother me.   Not criticizing--just offering a simpler alternative

 

When I mentioned that I might do it, I was thinking more along the lines of an electronic copy of our passports instead of carrying around paper copies. Exactly!  If needed, like at a consulate for example, I could ask them to print out the copies that would then aid in getting new passports. 

 

I usually end up having to carry some of my wife’s junk...I mean necessities...like cash, credit card, ID, whatever, because she doesn’t want to carry a purse when we’re doing certain things or she doesn’t have “real pockets.” That’s what she tells me, anyway. So if carrying electronic copies of our passports can save me from carrying around folded up pieces of paper too, I’m all for it.

 

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

I was just clarifying because someone could read your post and say, "hey, all I need is a copy of my passport to embark". AFAIK only two things may be a copy- a birth certificate and a marriage certificate (as a bridging document). Everything else has to be an original.

Fair enough but if they have read all the comments, they would know. But, as we know, many people don't read through.

Additionally, "passport" means the original (to most people) and "copy of passport" means a Xerox or photocopy--paper or electronic. With birth certificate there enters some confusion as you can have a "copy" or a "certified copy" which sometimes get used interchangeably--or understood interchangeably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

But I don't expect much would happen to our passports since we leave them onboard in the cabin safe.

 

And in case others don't know, ship security can access your cabin safe and leave your passport with the port authority.

 

My question to that is, if you miss the ship, do they do this automatically?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Fair enough but if they have read all the comments, they would know. But, as we know, many people don't read through.

 

Ain't that the truth. Very frustrating at times.

 

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

With birth certificate there enters some confusion as you can have a "copy" or a "certified copy" which sometimes get used interchangeably--or understood interchangeably.

 

Did you even read through the last few pages? We've already talked about this. 😁 Just kidding. Seriously though, it can't be said enough. They all need to clarify and be consistent with what they mean by "copy."

 

I have my original birth certificate. Or as far as I know, it's the original. It was given to me by my mom at some point and it's what she always had for me. It's very small. It's paper and folds in half down to the same size as a credit card, then came with its own protective sleeve. I think the issuing government body is printed on the sleeve and the certificate itself has all the info. it should, including a raised seal. Every time I've shown that throughout my life, no one had ever seen one like it, but it always sufficed. Even Uncle Sam accepted it to enlist. But when it came time to get my passport many years later, they told me they wouldn't accept it because it was missing some code or number, something like that, and they wanted to play it safe. I told them the U.S. govt. had accepted it to join the service. If it was good enough for them then, it should be now, but they wouldn't do it. It was a nearby post office because that was the closest place to get one. I don't know, maybe they just didn't know enough to accept it or what, but I had to go get a new certified copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

 

And in case others don't know, ship security can access your cabin safe and leave your passport with the port authority.

 

My question to that is, if you miss the ship, do they do this automatically?

 

According to the cruise director on my last cruise, yes!

 

He told us that when a passenger is left behind, they empty the cabin of all their belongings, including items from the safe, and leave them with port authorities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Beffy1167 said:

According to the cruise director on my last cruise, yes!

 

He told us that when a passenger is left behind, they empty the cabin of all their belongings, including items from the safe, and leave them with port authorities. 

 

Oh they leave all of someone's belongings with the port? I've only ever seen people mention the passport. I guess I thought beyond that, and maybe a purse/wallet, they'd just hold everything else to be turned over back at the home terminal. Here's to hoping we never have to find our for ourselves. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

 

Ain't that the truth. Very frustrating at times.

 

 

Did you even read through the last few pages? We've already talked about this. 😁 Just kidding. Seriously though, it can't be said enough. They all need to clarify and be consistent with what they mean by "copy."

 

I have my original birth certificate. Or as far as I know, it's the original. It was given to me by my mom at some point and it's what she always had for me. It's very small. It's paper and folds in half down to the same size as a credit card, then came with its own protective sleeve. I think the issuing government body is printed on the sleeve and the certificate itself has all the info. it should, including a raised seal. Every time I've shown that throughout my life, no one had ever seen one like it, but it always sufficed. Even Uncle Sam accepted it to enlist. But when it came time to get my passport many years later, they told me they wouldn't accept it because it was missing some code or number, something like that, and they wanted to play it safe. I told them the U.S. govt. had accepted it to join the service. If it was good enough for them then, it should be now, but they wouldn't do it. It was a nearby post office because that was the closest place to get one. I don't know, maybe they just didn't know enough to accept it or what, but I had to go get a new certified copy.

That's where part of the confusion lies- none of us have an original birth certificate unless we got it by accident. The original remains on file with the issuing authority and what they give you is a certified copy of your birth certificate and when people use the term original that is what they are typically referring to. Some people think that having a notary sign the copy of their birth certificate somehow makes it a certified copy and it doesn't. The State Department changed the requirement for birth certificates several years ago and it includes the requirement that the parents' names need to be on the birth certificate. Why that matters for proving citizenship is anyone's guess. My guess is that some states only have some of their birth certificates in a database and they only add the older ones if they are re-issued, so by making applicants obtain an updated BC it makes it easier for them to verify it via electronic means without having to make phone calls (but that is strictly speculation on my part). The birth certificate that I used to join the Navy is a short form one, it has my dob, pob, and name. Before applying for a passport I had to obtain a long form BC with my parents' names. (But I knew that I had to do that so I didn't get to give the "If it's good enough for Uncle Sam soliloquy"😀.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

 

Oh they leave all of someone's belongings with the port? I've only ever seen people mention the passport. I guess I thought beyond that, and maybe a purse/wallet, they'd just hold everything else to be turned over back at the home terminal. Here's to hoping we never have to find our for ourselves. 🙂

It's my understanding that they make the attempt to find them in the safe and leave the passport with the port agent if found. I have read threads where this was witnessed, but no belongings were included. Of course they don't guarantee this. I know that I knew I was going to miss the ship I would call them and let them know (unless I absolutely couldn't).

Edited by sparks1093

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Before applying for a passport I had to obtain a long form BC with my parents' names. (But I knew that I had to do that so I didn't get to give the "If it's good enough for Uncle Sam soliloquy"😀.

 

The small one that I speak of does have my parents' names on it. Now I want to compare it to the more recent one to see if there's truly a difference with any of the vital info.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Organized Chaos said:

 

The small one that I speak of does have my parents' names on it. Now I want to compare it to the more recent one to see if there's truly a difference with any of the vital info.

 

And it's entirely possible that the post office employee, who is processing passport applications as a collateral duty, didn't know whereof they spoke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 7:33 PM, cynt said:

 

I just want to say As seasoned cruisers we must continue to educate 1st time cruisers. Unfortunately all TAs are not created equal and People do not read their cruise documents. .

I do my best.   but many many times you are up against--  but I called Carnival and they said different   Or my travel agent says something different.   You can lead a horse to the water but you cant make it drink.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 10:24 PM, ksflann said:

So silly question do you need to bring marriage license because my birth certificate has my maiden name. 

 

 

No marriage license is needed unless you are newly married and never changed your documents.     If your drivers license has your married name you showed the license to bridge the name change     If your drivers license and the boarding documents are the same name-- no   the Marriage license is not needed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, serene56 said:

 

 

No marriage license is needed unless you are newly married and never changed your documents.     If your drivers license has your married name you showed the license to bridge the name change     If your drivers license and the boarding documents are the same name-- no   the Marriage license is not needed

Not correct. The bridging document is needed to explain why the names are different on the birth certificate and the drivers license.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, regoodwinjr said:

Not correct. The bridging document is needed to explain why the names are different on the birth certificate and the drivers license.


That's the way I understand it too.  When the driver's license is in the married name and the birth certificate is in the maiden name, the marriage license (which has both names) bridges the driver's license and birth certificate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, regoodwinjr said:

Not correct. The bridging document is needed to explain why the names are different on the birth certificate and the drivers license.

What do you submit to DMV to get the license in the new name? Yep, the marriage certificate. That information is on file and is verifiable by CBP through a database check. The bridging document would only be needed if that check couldn't be done or showed different information. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

What do you submit to DMV to get the license in the new name? Yep, the marriage certificate. That information is on file and is verifiable by CBP through a database check. The bridging document would only be needed if that check couldn't be done or showed different 

You also submit a birth certificate to get a drivers license so they can also verify the birth certificate but they want to see the actual document.  There are people on this post that had to show the marriage license so the smart thing to do is to bring it because security can be enhanced at anytime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, regoodwinjr said:

You also submit a birth certificate to get a drivers license so they can also verify the birth certificate but they want to see the actual document.  There are people on this post that had to show the marriage license so the smart thing to do is to bring it because security can be enhanced at anytime.

I never said it wasn't a smart thing to do to bring it. We always did. Like many others we didn't need it, but that didn't keep us from bringing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 12:45 PM, Organized Chaos said:

 

Oh they leave all of someone's belongings with the port? I've only ever seen people mention the passport. I guess I thought beyond that, and maybe a purse/wallet, they'd just hold everything else to be turned over back at the home terminal. Here's to hoping we never have to find our for ourselves. 🙂

 

CD on the Carnival Dream in January told us that they empty the cabin and leave everything with the port authority.  This was in response to someone asking in the CD Q&A.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 5:10 AM, keywest1 said:

Before we pull out of the driveway, everybody shows me their passport or driver's license/birth certificate, and I show my passport to them.  Eyerolls abound, but I don't care 😀

 

True Story --- this past May, taking a solo cruise, left the DH and DS at home. Pulled the passports out of the safe and "assumed" the passport with the stamps on the cover from Italy was mine. Got to Florida and realized I had my DS's passport - not mine!! Had to get DH to FedEx overnight my passport. Moral of the story - Even if you have a passport... make sure it's yours!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are you guys arguing about information that is readily available on carnivals website? 

 

Experiences vary, but I'm going to err on the side of doing what the cruise line requests, not the bare minimum to get by.

 

Why would they completely empty the cabin? They do allow you to catch up at the next port.  I doubt anyone here has seen them leave luggage behind on a pier, but we've all seen pier runners. This would mean the pilot captain would have to remove the luggage when he/she gets off at sea. None of use have seen that either. We have seen them though with a backpack that could contain their passports, if necessary.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 8:26 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Someone is denied boarding pretty much very cruise

and its usually because someone on a social media or cruise website said " i have cruised lots of times and never had to have a ___________(fill in the blank).  This happens with permission letters from non-traveling spouse, not legal birth certificates, like the ones from hospitals etc.  Its all there on the Carnival website, also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...