Cruise Critic Community
cynt

I don't know what to title this but hard lesson learned by 1st time cruiser

On 7/28/2019 at 7:33 PM, cynt said:

My coworker (CC) is a first time cruiser. Her family of 7 cruised on Valor last week. She called me when they returned to inform me her sister's daughter in law was denied boarding.

Background: CC attended one of those cruise seminars put on by a local TA. They booked the cruise thru the TA. It appears the TA was just a TA that booked cruises but not really a cruiser. They booked this July 2019 cruise in Dec 2018. On numerous occasions she asked me the same questions she asked the TA. The TA told her $65 a night for gratuities. I had to say no and walk her thru the website to show her how much gratuities actually cost. I received dozens and dozens of questions from her. Her TA was NOT a cruiser. One more time her TA was not a cruiser and was not knowledgeable about cruises.

Her and her sis (GG) had a little riff because CC told her you need a passport. GG went off and told CC no I don't. TA told me I needed identification and that's all. I clarified to CC a driver's license AND birth certificate was fine. I urged her after the water settled to contact her sister and tell her the adults on her party must have these 2 forms of documents to board the ship. She said she wasn't going to worry about it. GG acts like she knows everything. I said put your feelings aside and tell her. She told me again I'm not going to worry about it. 

Day of cruise, GGs family showed up at the port with only driver's license. The 2 kids had birth certificates. Since the husband was at home he emailed a scan copy of birth certificate for his wife and son. However the daughter n law did not know where her BC was located. She was denied boarding. She did not board the ship andbcruise.

The 1st day of the cruise had everyone feeling some kind of way. GG finally acknowledged she should have listened and now she's eating her words.

I just want to say As seasoned cruisers we must continue to educate 1st time cruisers. Unfortunately all TAs are not created equal and People do not read their cruise documents. 

I'm the cruiser in my family and in my office. My family knows I'm crazy and I do document checks months before we cruise. They're use to it😀. Now I'll be more vigilant with friends and coworkers.

I wanted to share this story to educate 1st timers and remind us that our cruise knowledge is valuable.

If you're gonna cruise, or leave the country by any means, my advice, get a passport!

No its not always needed, but it is the answer to any possible problem when traveling out of the country!

So in this case, its the 'Simple Solution'!

And I was always taught, 'Keep it Simple'!

As Barbara Billingsley once said "Chump don't want da help, chump don't get da help." 

We can all offer our advice, but, some people are stuck on stupid and already have it figured out. 

On 8/8/2019 at 3:38 AM, ed01106 said:

IMHO, the cruiser is NOT at fault.  The travel agent bears 100% responsible for this.

The travel agent is being paid to be an expert on these things, not some forum on the internet.

Blaming the traveler in this case, is the equivalent of blaming a patient for following faulty advice from their doctor rather than listening to what some random folks said on the internet.

I agree with you to a point, but this person didn't have to take advice from "some random folks" on the internet - they could have gone right to CCL's website to verify what documentation they needed to cruise.  It's listed on there very clearly.  People also need to take responsibility for themselves.  

On 7/28/2019 at 8:48 PM, Stallion said:

Another thing I worry about is passengers should be warned that if they have outstanding arrest warrants they need to clear that up before leaving

Don’t forget If you travel through Canada. Many don’t realize if they have a DUI or other infraction and fly through there they can get detained.  Knew of someone cruising in Europe and had a connection in Canada and missed their trip because of it.  

On 8/31/2019 at 2:05 PM, cruisinagain1960 said:

I agree with you to a point, but this person didn't have to take advice from "some random folks" on the internet - they could have gone right to CCL's website to verify what documentation they needed to cruise.  It's listed on there very clearly.  People also need to take responsibility for themselves.  

Travel agent should have either gone to the CCL’s website or said they don’t know.  A customer who uses a travel agent should be able to trust that agent for accurate information.  If you need to fact check your travel agent than you need a new travel agent.