Viking Sea - Barista type Coffee ?

BravoTango

Hi Team, always lots of information here,  but search did nor reveal a definitive answer on Barista Machine type coffee and which bar/restaurant/cafe serves it on the Viking Sea, if it is different to other vessels of the same class.

A daily coffee from the Barista type machine is a thing the other half loves, so interested on where on the Viking Sea to find it. Also if a cafe serves the frothy coffee/Latte type,  is it a drink charge or complimentary? 

Our first Viking Cruise so a bit unfamiliar with what is where and details around some of the details and it appears there is always somebody out there way more experienced than us

Brian T

Yes. In the bars. Can't remember exactly which ones because the one I tend to end up is in the Living Room bar. You can even get it in a to-go cup--latte, cappuccino, americano and I don't know what else. Coffees(unless they contain spirits)/tea/hot chocolate are available 24/7, no charge. And you watch it being ground and brewed so you know it us real espresso and not pods.

World Cafe has a serve yourself machine. Don't know what the Restaurant has these days.

For an intro to Viking read:

Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers it is a summary of our worldly knowledge, full of lots of helpful information that you can't find in the FAQ (which you should read) or elsewhere on the Viking website.

PS, sorry for the lousy formatting. Blame it on the new, inscrutable platform.

Edited by Peregrina651

I love a good latte and my favorite place to get one is the Explorers Lounge in the afternoon. I don’t know how early it is staffed in the morning for espresso. I have read on other postings that you can get an espresso drink at the Atrium Bar as early as 6am. As stated, the World Cafe has a DIY machine available 24/7. 

50 minutes ago, Ditzy Dreamer said:

I was able to get lattes from a bar on one of the lower decks.  I think deck 2.  They were complimentary.  I’ll be sailing soon on the Sea and am looking forward to the lattes and waffles with berries at Mamsen’s.

Deck 1 -- The Living Room Bar.  Opens at 6am. Closes around midnight.

7 hours ago, BravoTango said:

All good😊 thanks for the feedback.

Getting aboard the Sea on 12 Sep 2019 for Wake of the Vikings cruise.

Not long now

As always great and timely information.

Sounds like you’re delivering our ship to Montreal!  Take good care of her 😁. Don’t drink all the coffee and save me some gelato 😍

2 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

save me some gelato

Found daily in the World Cafe at lunch and dinner (but only one side of the buffet) and always available for dessert in the MDR.

Oh, yes, and that is another important thing to note, the two sides of the buffet are not the same, so be sure to check out both sides --or in the case of the newer ships, three sides.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Found daily in the World Cafe at lunch and dinner (but only one side of the buffet) and always available for dessert in the MDR.

Oh, yes, and that is another important thing to note, the two sides of the buffet are not the same, so be sure to check out both sides --or in the case of the newer ships, three sides.

Always!  I gotta know what they are serving!  Love that gelato and I always have them add a scoop to whatever dessert I'm having!  😄

On 7/30/2019 at 10:12 AM, Peregrina651 said:

And we found out on our last cruise that they both don't open at the same time. One side opened a half hour later than the other side. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 8:54 AM, H2Otstr said:

And we found out on our last cruise that they both don't open at the same time. One side opened a half hour later than the other side. 

Not always the case - it varies, depending on whether a sea day, or in port, or other factors.  We had many days where both sides of the WC were open at the same time, just as there were others where one opened earlier and one stayed open later - especially for dinner.   I asked the Restaurant Manager and he confirmed that they make specific decisions about opening for each day of the trip.  So best to always consult your Daily (for closing times) and look at the WC itself to see which or both sides are open when they first state "opening".

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 7:12 AM, Peregrina651 said:

--or in the case of the newer ships, three sides.

This is news to me...did they turn the seating across from the Aquavit Bar into a serving station on the newer ships?  Is Orion included in this?  

Edited by Clay Clayton

Hmm... lack of fresh milk...

I’m assuming you asked for some and their must be a reason they don’t stock it. 

I wonder if it’s okay to grab some when you’re off the ship and keep it in your fridge. 

I’ll keep that in mind. I expect tea drinkers would also like some. 

Good point!

Edited by Liz Masterson

7 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

This is news to me...did they turn the seating across from the Aquavit Bar into a serving station on the newer ships?  Is Orion included in this?  

I believe that Orion is the first to do this but maybe someone can tell us if this is also a feature on the Sun.

1 hour ago, Liz Masterson said:

Hmm... lack of fresh milk...

I’m assuming you asked for some and their must be a reason they don’t stock it. 

I wonder if it’s okay to grab some when you’re off the ship and keep it in your fridge. 

I’ll keep that in mind. I expect tea drinkers would also like some. 

Good point!

There is no need to buy your own milk on shore; there is plenty of fresh not powdered or otherwise reconstituted milk on the ship -- in the bars and in the restaurants, whole, skim and half&half. The only thing that might be a problem is lactose-free milk --and maybe someone who uses it can comment on its availability.

If you want it for your cabin fridge, to use instead of whatever is supplied in the cabin as a lightener, grab an empty water bottle and fill it with whatever you want.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks for the info!  What is served in the new area?

Good question but I don't remember what I read other than that area has been redesigned with a serving station. Maybe someone who has been on the Orion can report. Even better, maybe someone will post some pictures of the area for us.

30 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Good question but I don't remember what I read other than that area has been redesigned with a serving station. Maybe someone who has been on the Orion can report. Even better, maybe someone will post some pictures of the area for us.

If they don’t, I will do so after our cruise in October. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Sorry Peregrina but that was not available on our cruise. We did ask. The long life milk made all coffee taste awful to us. 

Frankly it didn't matter that much to us. We are quite happy to drink tea without milk. Good selection of fruit and herbal teas. 

UHT Milk, still brings back some not so great memories of ocean passages when the fresh milk ran out and we switched to UHT. Sadly after a few weeks you got used to UHT milk in tea, but it was always tough to take in cold cereal.

On 8/10/2019 at 11:10 PM, Clay Clayton said:

On 8/11/2019 at 6:45 AM, Peregrina651 said:

I believe that Orion is the first to do this but maybe someone can tell us if this is also a feature on the Sun.

Perhaps the reference to an additional "serving station" by the Aquavit bar is in reference to the new, actually quite small "stations" on the 2 newer ships Jupiter and Orion.   The "window" is a made-to-order" where for breakfast you can place special order omelettes, and for lunch fresh pasta, and for dinner it becomes a "noddle" station.  It is a quite small window that is facing aft and between the Aqavit Bar and the port side gelato station of the World Cafe.  It greatly improved the flow at breakfast as those who ordered omelettes (like me) could go to this separate station and not hold others up.  We also enjoyed the lunch and especially dinner options.  Some of the Chinese food was pretty good (spicy - which we like!) and the noodle/broth bowls were always good and varied.

From an earlier post I did back in May for our Jupiter cruise:

World Café

-New made-to-order station aft, facing the Aquavit Bar on the port side, where you can order:

Breakfast – Omelettes, ham, bacon, potatoes, and more

Lunch – Fresh Pasta (varies by day)

Dinner – Chinese stir fry (varies by day), Dumpling Soup, Noodle Soup

756294440_IMG_3780OmletteStation-Fantail.thumb.JPG.0619776432a42c321d3088fd72bbea50.JPG503303455_IMG_5320Omelette-Pasta-NoodlesStation.jpg.88234bb6cf9ddbd2d3a7a7b5494bf68d.jpg