Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
TrinaLC

Can one bring spirits/alcohol on board for in cabin consumption?

Recommended Posts

Title pretty much says it all. At embarkation?  Ports of call?

 

TIA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes you can bring on reasonable amounts  for use in your cabin

Bottles of Wine  can be taken to the dining venues where you pay the corkage  fee  of $25 per bottle

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

yes you can bring on reasonable amounts  for use in your cabin

Bottles of Wine  can be taken to the dining venues where you pay the corkage  fee  of $25 per bottle

 

And it's always worth reminding O newbies to not attempt to "game the system" by carrying that glass of cabin wine or cocktail into public venues. Please don't disrespect Oceania's generous practice of unlimited personal booze. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this has been discussed a lot.  My TA just said she checked with an O rep and they told her that you only were allowed to bring 6 bottles of wine on when you embark.  That's it.

 

From CC I've learned that you can bring pretty much whatever you want for in cabin consumption.  Is the O rep just stating the official policy and in reality you can bring anything on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

From CC I've learned that you can bring pretty much whatever you want for in cabin consumption.  Is the O rep just stating the official policy and in reality you can bring anything on?

yes  they will give you the official policy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

From CC I've learned that you can bring pretty much whatever you want for in cabin consumption.  Is the O rep just stating the official policy and in reality you can bring anything on?

Like LHT28 said - yes, they state the official policy.

BUT, as Flatbush Flyer said, it is very important not to abuse this generous policy of Oceania and stick to the rules strictly once onboard or the generous policy may become a thing of the past.

Edited by Paulchili

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

yes  they will give you the official policy

And I'm guessing it also gives them the latitude to enforce it if someone is abusing the privilege, i.e., bringing a hand truck with multiple cases, or is seen staggering around blind drunk once too often or ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, clo said:

And I'm guessing it also gives them the latitude to enforce it if someone is abusing the privilege, i.e., bringing a hand truck with multiple cases, or is seen staggering around blind drunk once too often or ???

Especially the latter would be a major problem and a breach of protocol if done even once 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bbtondo said:

I know this has been discussed a lot.  My TA just said she checked with an O rep and they told her that you only were allowed to bring 6 bottles of wine on when you embark.  That's it.

 

From CC I've learned that you can bring pretty much whatever you want for in cabin consumption.  Is the O rep just stating the official policy and in reality you can bring anything on?

As has been mentioned here on CC more than a zillion times: The published policy is a necessary CYA  statement.

We just returned from an O cruise where we brought a case onboard and will do it again at the end of August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, besides bringing on your "six bottles" at embarkation, you can also pick up bottles at ports of call.  The crew won't even  blink when your bags are scanned upon report from a port visit and there is wine or booze inside.

 

We personally have never brought on as many as four bottles on embarkation -- usually more like three or four -- but I've read comments often enough at CC to know that Flatbush Flyer isn't the only one who has brought on a case or more.  With no problems.

 

Mura

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mura said:

who has brought on a case or more. 

Of wine, right?  Not that they would care but a case of hard liquor is gonna take some drinking 🙂  'Course if it's a long cruise....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, clo said:

Of wine, right?  Not that they would care but a case of hard liquor is gonna take some drinking 🙂  'Course if it's a long cruise....

LOL😂

Denise😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed, I have always interpreted the comments about a case as applying to WINE ...not gin ...

 

For me, I'll bring on a bottle of vodka and maybe a couple of bottles of wine.  Rarely more than that!

 

Mura

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I just look at it it as a troll thread. A simple search on google gives one the exact same answers as displayed here. So, is one too lazy to do a simple search on google or here on CC, or

were they hoping for a different answer?

 

Are we up to a hundred (100) different thread yet with the same question to the same issue?

 

The search function can be your friend!

 

How about this as a new thread: How many bottles of Metaxa can I bring aboard for in icabin consumption ? Nope, probably been asked before! How about how many bottles of the Vietnamese hooch with the poisonous viper in the bottle can I bring aboard? Willing to bet the same number as any other bottle ofadult beverage !!! 🤪

Edited by pinotlover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pinotlover said:

I just look at it it as a troll thread. A simple search on google gives one the exact same answers as displayed here. So, is one too lazy to do a simple search on google or here on CC, or

were they hoping for a different answer?

 

Are we up to a hundred (100) different thread yet with the same question to the same issue?

 

The search function can be your friend!

 

How about this as a new thread: How many bottles of Metaxa can I bring aboard for in icabin consumption ? Nope, probably been asked before! How about how many bottles of the Vietnamese hooch with the viper in the bottle can I bring aboard? Willing to bet the same number as any other bottle ofadult beverage !!! 🤪

OOOHHH

Somebody needs a nap 😲

🙂

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mura said:

Indeed, I have always interpreted the comments about a case as applying to WINE ...not gin ...

 

For me, I'll bring on a bottle of vodka and maybe a couple of bottles of wine.  Rarely more than that!

 

Mura

 

 

That's what we will do also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I just look at it it as a troll thread. A simple search on google gives one the exact same answers as displayed here. So, is one too lazy to do a simple search on google or here on CC, or

were they hoping for a different answer?

 

Are we up to a hundred (100) different thread yet with the same question to the same issue?

 

The search function can be your friend!

 

How about this as a new thread: How many bottles of Metaxa can I bring aboard for in icabin consumption ? Nope, probably been asked before! How about how many bottles of the Vietnamese hooch with the poisonous viper in the bottle can I bring aboard? Willing to bet the same number as any other bottle ofadult beverage !!! 🤪

 

No need to get upset.  If you're not interested in someone's question, just ignore it.  Assuming people are "lazy" "troll" and bringing "Metaxa", etc. is not helpful at all. Sure hope you're not on my cruise!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 7:08 AM, TrinaLC said:

Title pretty much says it all. At embarkation?  Ports of call?

 

TIA. 

 

All of the above    bring on board what ever you can carry...beer wine, liquor, moonshine, for cabin consumption.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I just look at it it as a troll thread. A simple search on google gives one the exact same answers as displayed here. So, is one too lazy to do a simple search on google or here on CC, or

were they hoping for a different answer?

 

Are we up to a hundred (100) different thread yet with the same question to the same issue?

 

The search function can be your friend!

 

How about this as a new thread: How many bottles of Metaxa can I bring aboard for in icabin consumption ? Nope, probably been asked before! How about how many bottles of the Vietnamese hooch with the poisonous viper in the bottle can I bring aboard? Willing to bet the same number as any other bottle ofadult beverage !!! 🤪

 

 

Good lord, CC would cease to exist under that circumstance!

 

and as the OP, I did do a search on CC before posting. This actually was not the subject of any robust thread that I could find, though I did not exhaust myself. It is also a situation that can change on a dime. Disney for example used to let pax bring on spirits. I’m sure there are many threads to that effect. But it is no longer allowed. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Especially the latter would be a major problem and a breach of protocol if done even once 😉

 

That is the  beauty of sailing on an ADULT ship with ADULTS who well mannered and responsible.. its not the " 3 day cruise crowd"   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 8:35 AM, bbtondo said:

I know this has been discussed a lot.  My TA just said she checked with an O rep and they told her that you only were allowed to bring 6 bottles of wine on when you embark.  That's it.

Okay - I've just put on (what some might think is) my "nit-picking hat"....Please don't be too harsh with me!  😨  Sticking with the "O reps" exact words...i.e., "you were allowed to bring 6 bottles of wine on when you embark....." what is the definition of "you"? Is the hypothetical (CYA) 6-bottle limit per "individual cruiser" or per stateroom?  Given the fact that most staterooms are booked and occupied by two people, if "you" meant each person, than that would mean that each stateroom could bring a full case of  private wine onboard (12 bottles per case), with empty bottles replenished in ports along the way, as the cruise progressed, right?  And who, in "officialdom", would actually be "keeping count" of bottles per passenger per stateroom brought on board, anyway?

 

The two very subjective words..."Moderation" and "reasonable" seem to be the operative controlling terms here.  Personal wine brought and consumed on board is not a "problem".... until it's a "problem".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting question ... I've always translated "you" as the amount permitted per stateroom.  But since this rule has rarely, if ever, been invoked ... I don't worry about it.  And of course we don't exceed the 6 bottle limit upon boarding anyway!

 

It's true that there are tons of threads here dealing with this subject.  But I am forgiving and not assuming a poster is a troll just because they ask the question.  When I first joined CC I found it VERY difficult to do a search.  I'd enter the information and be told nothing was available.  And I wasn't asking abstruse questions.  Maybe things are different these days ...

 

Mura

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Okay - I've just put on (what some might think is) my "nit-picking hat"....Please don't be too harsh with me!  😨  Sticking with the "O reps" exact words...i.e., "you were allowed to bring 6 bottles of wine on when you embark....." what is the definition of "you"?

According to Oceania's Guest ticket  contract

 

DEFINITIONS
a. The terms “You”, “Your” and “Guest” mean all persons purchasing or traveling under this Ticket Contract, including any accompanying minors, and each person’s heirs and personal representatives. Your acceptance of this Ticket Contract represents Your acknowledgment and acceptance of these terms and conditions for You and for all other persons traveling under this Ticket Contract, all of whom accept and agree to all the terms and conditions set forth herein.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, I have not been successful in searching before I post a question. Usually I get no results for the topic even though I suspect there are existing threads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...